What do you use?

konaman132

Aug 28, 2005
I was wondering what everyone is using for downhill tires? I really like Maxxis Minion's but the price has gotten out of hand in my opinion, and I will not spend that much money on a tire that will last one season.

I have made a post in another forum and I have gotten a good response on the Kenda Nevegal's. I have found them for a good price but I have not bought them yet.

I thought that I would make one more post to see what everyone's opinion or what they are using before I buy.

The area I live in, the tires need to be pretty much good in everything.

Thanks for any input.

You should try out the Kenda's or a nice pair of Bontrager Connections as i use these and they are good for everything. These tires offer really good off- road connection as well as good snow traction. City driving is nice and mute with the Bontrager's as i said i also use these.

Are you racing or riding recreationally?

In the past I have had new tyres for every race. Training rides in between races would chop tyres to bits. Generally I would tear off/undercut corner knobs.

The best lifetime came from Michelin <sp?> DH tyres.

I am a big fan of the Kendas.

The real question is how big of tire to go?

Big equals lots of grip but slow.
Small means a bit less grip but more speed.

When I use to race DH I had my best results on 2.35s. Lets face it most DH course that us mortals race are a bit tamer than a world cup DH. A good 2.35 will grip well and still roll quick enough to make time on the painful pedaling sections.

I ended up getting the Kenda Nevegals 2.7's. I love them! They have been great in every condition and I have almost a full season on them and they still look like a brand new tire!

I have zero complaints about them!