What do you wear under your spandex?

jaguar75

Apr 21, 2004
I have been riding for several years now and I have never purchased spandex...The otherday I was having a conversation with a someone and the topic came up and now I am seriously contemplating it...what do you folks normally wear underneath the spandex? (briefs, boxer briefs, nothing, jock strap...ETC). Also do you fully wash them after every use or just rinse and air dry?

Nothing (OK, a little too much fat), to do otherwise would be crazy. I always wash them completely, though gently, whether by machine or hand.

This is a VERY OLD topic.

You SHOULD NOT use any kind of underwear under your cycling shorts. Shorts are designed to be used this way, that is the reason of the pad (read the specs on the pad). The shorts should be used tight to the body (but in a comfortable way).

Buy a good pair of shorts, you don't need any thing else.

Definitely nothing. The chamois is actually designed for this type of use (anti-bacterial, etc), not for use with other undergarments between. I had a hard time believing this when I first started cycling and wore tighty-whity's with the lycra. After trying it commando, I have never gone back. Much more comfy. Just don't be that guy in the group ride that is wearing a pair of lycra that should have been tossed 3 years ago but still insists on wearing it even though it is virtually transparent and leaves nothing to the imagination. I won't draft behind that guy, no matter how bad I'm hurtin'.

I hand rinse after every ride, and wash after a few rides.

Only my skin, and that's is if I don't fell down :D

I wash and rinse very well (4 or 5 rinsing cycles) every ride.

Nothing. Yes wash them before your next ride. I got tired of washing so I bought six and now I just toss them in the laundry basket and the little woman washes them on laundry day, when ever that is. I just know I always have a clean pair whan I ride. :)

concord said:
Nothing. Yes wash them before your next ride. I got tired of washing so I bought six and now I just toss them in the laundry basket and the little woman washes them on laundry day, when ever that is. I just know I always have a clean pair whan I ride. :)
If you don't have these resources then it is better to wear something under the shorts than ride without washing them each time. The padding takes a long time to dry so washing is not always practical.
Some underwear is cycle-specific and has some sort of a pad, these can be worn under lycra cycle shorts. I have found a couple of styles of skivies that can be also be worn under cycle shorts with no discomfort and are easier to wash and get dry than the shorts themselves.
Having said that, I also have six pairs and toss them in the laundry basket and the little woman &c. &c.

Don't wear anything under spandex at all. I do wear an undershirt under my bibs/jersey though, unless the temp is over 85 or so.

I wash immediately and rinse for several cycles to get all the detergents out. If no washing machines available, I just get in the shower with my riding stuff on, and strip/wash in the shower, and then hang dry after rinsing all the soap out very well.

Don Shipp said:
If you don't have these resources then it is better to wear something under the shorts than ride without washing them each time. The padding takes a long time to dry so washing is not always practical.
Being that it's crushed between you and a saddle for hours at a time, underwear is not going to keep your shorts clean. I hand wash mine in the shower and then hang them up. They're usually dry by the next morning.

Thank you all for your posts/suggestions...keep them coming, I am really looking foreword to my first ride tomorrow with the shorts/lycra that I ordered. I am glad to see that some of you take your clothes into the shower and "rinse" them off. My clothes are so full of sweat and dirt that I always rinse them in the shower before throwing in the laundry basket. I will bring my shorts in the shower and hit them with detergent...