What Do Yous Reckon?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bandit, May 9, 2003.

1. Bandit

Bandit New Member

Hi I'm new to this forum and to cycling. I am thinking of purchasing a MTB and have many things about what to look for. I was wondering if some of you could possibly have a look at the link below. Its what I'm thinking of buying.

Do you guys think its a good deal price wise for what is being offered?

http://www.learsport.com/bw3000.htm

Tags:

2. rek

rek New Member

Welcome to the forum!

The most important question to ask is, where are you intending on going riding? Are you thinking of some easy riding along some sealed/gravel road bike paths, or going off-road? There are a number of bike types that are each suited to a particular purpose; a full-suspension bike for what you intend to do might be barking up the wrong tree, so to speak.

Full suspension bikes are generally designed for serious off-road work; the prices get very high very quickly, and that's no accident -- the frame and components need to be built seriously tough to cope with that kind of abuse.

AU$399 is very low on the price scale for a quality mountain bike, let alone a full suspension one.. to be brutally honest I wouldn't buy it, as I can't really see where it fits in the grand scheme of things. I'm not convinced that it would be able to stand the rigours of off-road biking. And on the other hand, it's really the wrong type of bike for basic bike path duty (it'll be very heavy, and the rear suspension will sap your energy away -- this will make the bike sluggish to ride.)

3. mumsy

mumsy New Member

Hi there, I was thinking to buy the BW3000 for my husband within the next few days but decided not to since I saw your message. Can you suggest a good one to get please? I don't want to pay more than $330 and I'd like a double suspension MTB similar to one I have (Gemini Mt Force). Also, is it worth to get a child carrier for our son considering he's weight about 17kg now? If so, can you suggest once that really good?

4. rek

rek New Member

To be brutally honest I wouldn't trust a dual suspension $300 bike. Way too many corners would have to be cut to get it at that price.

I'm assuming you're after the rear suspension for comfort reasons -- if so, your money would be better spent on a hardtail (front suspension only) bike, and get the shop to fit a suspension seatpost (some bikes come with these as standard equipment.)

I have no idea about child carriers, sorry .. but the people at the bike store should be able to help you out.