What does bike insurance cover

Daveb

Guest
I saw a thread a little while ago where a few people mentioned having had to use bike insurance a
few times. I don't currently have bike insurance but am thinking of getting it (probably through
Triathlon Vic membership). I was wondering what does it actually cover, eg. damage to your bike
if an accident is your fault, same if someone else's fault, damage to other people's property
and/or car??

Dave B.

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:09:48 +1100, DaveB wrote:

> I saw a thread a little while ago where a few people mentioned having had to use bike insurance a
> few times. I don't currently have bike insurance but am thinking of getting it (probably through
> Triathlon Vic membership). I was wondering what does it actually cover, eg. damage to your bike
> if an accident is your fault, same if someone else's fault, damage to other people's property
> and/or car??

Ours covered _theft_ of the bike when (and only when) it was fixed to an immovable object. I think
it may also have been covered for damage, so long as it wasn't being used at the time. I could
probably dig up the doco on it, but I don't think it would be much of a read.

State bicycling-body membership can give you 3rd-party style insurance, but don't take my word for
it, ring them up and ask (then report back here!). They also have separate accident insurance, which
seemed fairly cheap too - but we have never bought that.

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected]) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ -
news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

Dave,

Bicycle Victoria offer a couple of different types of cover. The policy details are here;

http://www.bv.com.au/submenu.cfm?SubMenuID=51

Sting>

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I saw a thread a little while ago where a few people mentioned having had to use bike insurance a
> few times. I don't currently have bike insurance but am thinking of getting it (probably through
> Triathlon Vic membership). I was wondering what does it actually cover, eg. damage to your bike
> if an accident is your fault, same if someone else's fault, damage to other people's property
> and/or car??
>
> Dave B.

That's more like it. I checked out Triathlon Vic's insurance first which
seemed like a joke. It only covers for personal injury to yourself and
only what Medicare and private health insurance don't cover, and not the
first $20. Considering the membership costs $90 and I already have
private health insurance it didn't look very attractive. The Bike Vic
one looks much better. It covers:
... covers Members for:
1. Injuries they may suffer*
2. Injuries they may do to someone else*; and
3. Damage you may do to someone else’s property*

And they also have additional options for bike damage and theft.

Dave B.