What does bike insurance cover

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Daveb, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Daveb

    Daveb Guest

    I saw a thread a little while ago where a few people mentioned having had to use bike insurance a
    few times. I don't currently have bike insurance but am thinking of getting it (probably through
    Triathlon Vic membership). I was wondering what does it actually cover, eg. damage to your bike
    if an accident is your fault, same if someone else's fault, damage to other people's property
    and/or car??

    Dave B.

    Tags:

  2. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:09:48 +1100, DaveB wrote:

    > I saw a thread a little while ago where a few people mentioned having had to use bike insurance a
    > few times. I don't currently have bike insurance but am thinking of getting it (probably through
    > Triathlon Vic membership). I was wondering what does it actually cover, eg. damage to your bike
    > if an accident is your fault, same if someone else's fault, damage to other people's property
    > and/or car??

    Ours covered _theft_ of the bike when (and only when) it was fixed to an immovable object. I think
    it may also have been covered for damage, so long as it wasn't being used at the time. I could
    probably dig up the doco on it, but I don't think it would be much of a read.

    State bicycling-body membership can give you 3rd-party style insurance, but don't take my word for
    it, ring them up and ask (then report back here!). They also have separate accident insurance, which
    seemed fairly cheap too - but we have never bought that.

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected]) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ -
    news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

  3. Sting

    Sting Guest

    Dave,

    Bicycle Victoria offer a couple of different types of cover. The policy details are here;

    http://www.bv.com.au/submenu.cfm?SubMenuID=51

    Sting>

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I saw a thread a little while ago where a few people mentioned having had to use bike insurance a
    > few times. I don't currently have bike insurance but am thinking of getting it (probably through
    > Triathlon Vic membership). I was wondering what does it actually cover, eg. damage to your bike
    > if an accident is your fault, same if someone else's fault, damage to other people's property
    > and/or car??
    >
    > Dave B.

  4. Daveb

    Daveb Guest

    That's more like it. I checked out Triathlon Vic's insurance first which
    seemed like a joke. It only covers for personal injury to yourself and
    only what Medicare and private health insurance don't cover, and not the
    first $20. Considering the membership costs $90 and I already have
    private health insurance it didn't look very attractive. The Bike Vic
    one looks much better. It covers:
    ... covers Members for:
    1. Injuries they may suffer*
    2. Injuries they may do to someone else*; and
    3. Damage you may do to someone else’s property*

    And they also have additional options for bike damage and theft.

    Dave B.