What does "Double-Butted" really mean ?

?

Guest
G'day all,

It's that time again when I am looking at acquiring a new bike (When do you
ever stop looking ?). This one will be a single speed MTB with a Chromoly
frame if I can.

In my poking around online I keep reading "double-butted-chromoly" but no
website actually tells you what this magical thing is.

What is it ?

Is it the next best thing since sliced bread or is it just something that
manufacturers spin out there so the uninformed say "Wow it's got that double
butted thing happening !"

Thanks for reading.
--

Tony
--

> G'day all,

> In my poking around online I keep reading "double-butted-chromoly"
> but no website actually tells you what this magical thing is.
>
> What is it ?
>
> Is it the next best thing since sliced bread or is it just something
> that manufacturers spin out there so the uninformed say "Wow it's got
> that double butted thing happening !"

It means that the tubes have a thicker wall at the butt where they are
joined, than in the middle. The added thickness is on the inside of the
tube.

Theo

Basically butting refers to the process of varying the thickness of the tube walls. In bicycle frames, it allows manufactors to cut weight by making the tubes thinner in the middle, and thicker at the ends where they take more stress.

Have a look at http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/1.htm for a better idea of what butted tubes look like on the inside.

><((((º> wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> It's that time again when I am looking at acquiring a new bike (When do you
> ever stop looking ?). This one will be a single speed MTB with a Chromoly
> frame if I can.
>
> In my poking around online I keep reading "double-butted-chromoly" but no
> website actually tells you what this magical thing is.
>
> What is it ?

It has very little to do with Goatse.

"><((((º>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> G'day all,
>
> It's that time again when I am looking at acquiring a new bike (When do
> you ever stop looking ?). This one will be a single speed MTB with a
> Chromoly frame if I can.
>
> In my poking around online I keep reading "double-butted-chromoly" but no
> website actually tells you what this magical thing is.
>
> What is it ?
>
> Is it the next best thing since sliced bread or is it just something that
> manufacturers spin out there so the uninformed say "Wow it's got that
> double butted thing happening !"
>
> Thanks for reading.
> --
>
> Tony
> --
> [email protected]
> Remove the .fish after .com to reply
> --= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

I always thought that being double butted was kind of like having a double
chin.

< http://www.potedebosta.blogger.com.br/fat ass.jpg >