What Does It Take To Get Started?

BikeBikeBikeBike

May 19, 2015
What exactly do I need to head to the track? I am assuming my conventional bike will not be allowed and I will have to rent a bike. Will my existing armor be aceptable or do I need special equipment too? Can anyone recommend a good place to start in the GTA?

I am not a pro but let me toss in my 2 cents. For the track, you will need a racer bike. But the racer bike is not all because you also need to have the physical capability, i.e. if you are planning to race. But for practice, I guess you will be needing a coach. The fact that you don't even know what bike to bring in the track qualifies you to get a mentor for track cycling. I hope what I'm saying is correct.

I am not a track racer but you are correct in that you will need a track bike which has a specific frame. They are more rigid and single speed so from what I do know choosing gearing is critical depending the type of track racing you want to pursue. In most cases I believe a larger gear is better if you want to do TTs or lap group racing. Hopefully someone else here has more info for you.

I do not reccomend just jumping on a track with experienced racers. Take a beginners class, i did last summer. Handling a fixed gear on a track is a different animal and requires practice. You need to know track lingo and rules before riding with others.

As jhuskey said, you'll need a specific track bike to ride on most velodromes. Some, mostly likely outdoor concrete ones, will allow you to ride a road bike during closed sessions but for safety reasons you'll never have road bikes and track bikes mixed.

Renting a bike is a good way to start. Maydog did the right thing. Take a beginners course on how to ride track and take things from there. That course will likely be cheaper than trashing a pair of shorts when you go around the banking too slow the first time and slide down past the datum line in a rather unceremonious manner.

Ride, learn, have fun and expect it too be very, very painful.

Don't forget protein bars and possible snacks. You can't be biking on an empty stomach and the protein will replenish the nutrients and such that you have burned through the ride. Very important!

BikeBikeBikeBike said:
What exactly do I need to head to the track? I am assuming my conventional bike will not be allowed and I will have to rent a bike. Will my existing armor be aceptable or do I need special equipment too? Can anyone recommend a good place to start in the GTA?
Assuming GTA is Toronto area, the place to start is to get certified for the Milton Velodrome:
http://www.mattamynationalcyclingcentre.ca/en/participate/Get-on-the-Track.asp
-richard