What does SAG mean?

bcnyal8r2

Dec 29, 2005
I was reading an article on the internet about a group planning to do a self SAG ride of a famous road in Mississippi. They are planning to
do the ride in six to seven days, and were asking for recommendations on lodging.
Could someone please explain to me what self SAG means? Does it mean that there will be a car following behind them for support or are they going to be alone and cycling from hotel to hotel?? I'm extremely new to cycling and unfortunately don't know much :) I'd appreciate any help.

bcnyal8r2 said:
I was reading an article on the internet about a group planning to do a self SAG ride of a famous road in Mississippi. They are planning to
do the ride in six to seven days, and were asking for recommendations on lodging.
Could someone please explain to me what self SAG means? Does it mean that there will be a car following behind them for support or are they going to be alone and cycling from hotel to hotel?? I'm extremely new to cycling and unfortunately don't know much :) I'd appreciate any help.

Generally the acronym SAG is used in reference to a vehicle as in a SAG van.
SAG being Support And Gear. I would guess that self SAG would mean that the riders are basically respossible for supporting themselves rather than having any real SAG support.

I have been on a few big ones like 200 Kms and we had a Sag Wagon following

and I assumed "Sag" meant you jumped into it when you were empty and fatigued
How silly am I?

mtbnewbie said:
Generally the acronym SAG is used in reference to a vehicle as in a SAG van.
SAG being Support And Gear. I would guess that self SAG would mean that the riders are basically respossible for supporting themselves rather than having any real SAG support.
Yup. "Service and Gear" is the story that I've heard.

Thanks for the replies. I figured SAG meant some type of support, but wasn't for sure :)

bcnyal8r2 said:
Thanks for the replies. I figured SAG meant some type of support, but wasn't for sure :)
unless you are talking about a full suspension mountain bike..then sag is a whole nuther topic.:rolleyes: