What does the "12-24" cassette description mean?

markscottwright

Guest
And can I use 12-23 cassette if my bike (a Marin Lucas Valley)
originally came with a 12-24?

I'm enough of an idiot that I didn't realize that skipping under load
meant I needed a new chain (I had no idea that chains needed to be
replaced regularly). After a few years of this, some of the gears on
my existing cassette are in pretty tough shape and need to be
replaced. Nashbar doesn't appear to have a 12-24 cassette, but they
do have a 12-23. Can I use that?

Mark

You can use a 12-23. You will just have a slightly higher gear. Meaning it
would be a little harder to pedal. 12 is the amount of teeth on the
smallest cog, and 23 is the amount of teeth on the biggest cog.

"markscottwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> And can I use 12-23 cassette if my bike (a Marin Lucas Valley)
> originally came with a 12-24?
>
> I'm enough of an idiot that I didn't realize that skipping under load
> meant I needed a new chain (I had no idea that chains needed to be
> replaced regularly). After a few years of this, some of the gears on
> my existing cassette are in pretty tough shape and need to be
> replaced. Nashbar doesn't appear to have a 12-24 cassette, but they
> do have a 12-23. Can I use that?
>
> Mark

"12-24" are the number of teeth on the smallest and largest cogs in the
cassette. So a 12-23 will not gear quite as low on the lowest gear but the
difference is small. A 12-23 should work fine as a replacement for a 12-24.
You'll also need to make sure that you are buying the right type of cassette
for your hub, for example, Shimano 8 speed or Campy 9 speed, etc.
Lyle

"markscottwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> And can I use 12-23 cassette if my bike (a Marin Lucas Valley)
> originally came with a 12-24?
>
> I'm enough of an idiot that I didn't realize that skipping under load
> meant I needed a new chain (I had no idea that chains needed to be
> replaced regularly). After a few years of this, some of the gears on
> my existing cassette are in pretty tough shape and need to be
> replaced. Nashbar doesn't appear to have a 12-24 cassette, but they
> do have a 12-23. Can I use that?
>
> Mark

markscottwright wrote:

It means that the smallest sprocket has 12 teeth, the largest, 24. That
would probably mean that the sizes are 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24 if it
is a 9-speed.

> And can I use 12-23 cassette if my bike (a Marin Lucas Valley)
> originally came with a 12-24?

Of course. Just make sure it has the same number of sprockets and is
intended for the same "system" (Campagnolo, Shimano, or???).

> I'm enough of an idiot that I didn't realize that skipping under load
> meant I needed a new chain (I had no idea that chains needed to be
> replaced regularly).

No, skipping under load usually results from putting a new chain on a
bike with a worn-out cassette. If your old chain is skipping on an old
cassette, I would guess it must be very, very worn.

After a few years of this, some of the gears on
> my existing cassette are in pretty tough shape and need to be
> replaced.

A "few years" of skipping? No, the whole cassette needs to be replaced,
as well as the chain of course, and probably the chainrings as well at
this point. Don't even worry about the first two, replace them. For
the chainrings, look at the condition of the teeth. If they are worn to
points, expecially if they have a hooked appearance like shark's
teeth, replace the chainrings. You will have to figure out what kind of
chainrings you need and what sizes. How many bolts hold them on? Look
for size markings on the old rings, something like 110-50 or maybe
94-42. The first number should be the diameter of the circle formed by
the centers of the bolts, and the second is the number of teeth.

--

David L. Johnson

It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster.
--Greg LeMond

A FEW YEARS?

buy a new crankset from Nbar and cartridge BB with Parks tool.
Universal Cycles and Loosescrews has various cassettes

"it doesn't get any cheaper but reducing costs is possible and
effective!"
Pol Pot - asian statesman

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 13:29:51 -0000, markscottwright
<[email protected]> wrote:

>And can I use 12-23 cassette if my bike (a Marin Lucas Valley)
>originally came with a 12-24?
>
>I'm enough of an idiot that I didn't realize that skipping under load
>meant I needed a new chain (I had no idea that chains needed to be
>replaced regularly). After a few years of this, some of the gears on
>my existing cassette are in pretty tough shape and need to be
>replaced. Nashbar doesn't appear to have a 12-24 cassette, but they
>do have a 12-23. Can I use that?

Practically everything you ever wanted to know about freehubs and
cassettes can be found at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

wrote:

>And can I use 12-23 cassette if my bike (a Marin Lucas Valley)
>originally came with a 12-24?
>
>I'm enough of an idiot that I didn't realize that skipping under load
>meant I needed a new chain (I had no idea that chains needed to be
>replaced regularly). After a few years of this, some of the gears on
>my existing cassette are in pretty tough shape and need to be
>replaced. Nashbar doesn't appear to have a 12-24 cassette, but they
>do have a 12-23. Can I use that?

Those numbers represent the number of teeth on the cassette, 12 is your small
one, 23 the big one. See that springy derailleur thing, it'll take up the slack.
the difference between 23 and 23 is trivial unless you're out shopping for a
12-24 which is a fairly unusual size.

More important is the type of freehub you have and whether the splines on the
cassette match.

Changing chains more frequently will keep your cogs running longer.

Ron

Go for a 12-26 though depending on the rings in front you might want
to look for a cassette with an 11. Small rings in front like a 42 or 44 as
biggest ring plus a 12 in back isn't a very high gear, even for cruising
along on level surface.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>And can I use 12-23 cassette if my bike (a Marin Lucas Valley)
>originally came with a 12-24?
>
>I'm enough of an idiot that I didn't realize that skipping under load
>meant I needed a new chain (I had no idea that chains needed to be
>replaced regularly). After a few years of this, some of the gears on
>my existing cassette are in pretty tough shape and need to be
>replaced. Nashbar doesn't appear to have a 12-24 cassette, but they
>do have a 12-23. Can I use that?
>
>Mark

Thanks, everyone. Especially for the reminder that I would need a
special tool to replace the cassette. That hadn't occurred to me.

Mark

Mark Scottwright wrote:
> And can I use 12-23 cassette if my bike (a Marin Lucas Valley)
> originally came with a 12-24?
>
> I'm enough of an idiot that I didn't realize that skipping under load
> meant I needed a new chain (I had no idea that chains needed to be
> replaced regularly). After a few years of this, some of the gears on
> my existing cassette are in pretty tough shape and need to be
> replaced. Nashbar doesn't appear to have a 12-24 cassette, but they
> do have a 12-23. Can I use that?

Only Fred's use cassettes with the largest gear having an even number of
teeth according to Fabrizio Mazzoleni. The 12-23 is a much better choice
than the 12-24 for this reason.

--
Tom "11-34 MegaRange" Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia

"RonSonic"? wrote:
> the difference between 23 and 23 is trivial...

Agreed.

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:24:22 -0500, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"RonSonic"? wrote:
>> the difference between 23 and 23 is trivial...

>Agreed.

I knew I was going to see that again, was just wondering how.

Ron