What does this sign mean?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dransfield, Feb 27, 2003.

  1. Dransfield

    Dransfield Guest

    Cycling up the south circular (A205) the other day approaching Shooters Hill crossroads the bus lane
    disappeared, and so I had to squeeze up the inside of the stationary traffic (lights on red) so that
    I could wait next to the nice lady who was hogging the ASL box.

    But I noticed a sign on a lampost - blue circle with people and bike, positioned to face across the
    road. Ie. best read from the opp. pavement. Now I undertand this to denote mixed use path, but it
    was facing 90degs the wrong way, and there was nothing to back it up. eg. white paint on pavement,
    or anything to denote when this situation ended. It was a tad unconvincing.

    Presumably this is some half-arsed way of signing off that the area is cycle-friendly? When in
    reality it means one could whizz round the blind pavement corner, and then cycle forever on the
    pavement until you came to a 'cycling prohibited' sign? Drans.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Cycling up the south circular (A205) the other day approaching Shooters Hill crossroads the bus
    > lane disappeared, and so I had to squeeze up the inside of the stationary traffic (lights on red)
    > so that I could wait next to the nice lady who was hogging the ASL box.
    >
    > But I noticed a sign on a lampost - blue circle with people and bike, positioned to face across
    > the road. Ie. best read from the opp. pavement. Now I undertand this to denote mixed use path, but
    > it was facing 90degs the wrong way, and there was nothing to back it up. eg. white paint on
    > pavement, or anything to denote when this situation ended. It was a tad unconvincing.

    It probably means that the sign was set wrong or that it has been turn by those pesky kids.

    Colin

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Dransfield <[email protected]> wrote:

    > But I noticed a sign on a lampost - blue circle with people and bike, positioned to face across
    > the road. Ie. best read from the opp. pavement. Now I undertand this to denote mixed use path, but
    > it was facing 90degs the wrong way, and there was nothing to back it up. eg. white paint on
    > pavement, or anything to denote when this situation ended. It was a tad unconvincing.

    Probably just the mounting clamp rotated on the lampost so its not pointing in the direction it was
    intended to.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  4. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Dransfield <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Presumably this is some half-arsed way of signing off that the area is cycle-friendly?

    It means that the the LA is incompetent, but you probaly knew that anyway, which shows how
    incompetent they are for puttign up signs that aren't needed.

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  5. "Dransfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Cycling up the south circular (A205) the other day approaching Shooters
    Hill
    > crossroads the bus lane disappeared, and so I had to squeeze up the inside of the stationary
    > traffic (lights on red) so that I could wait next to the nice lady who was hogging the ASL box.
    >
    > But I noticed a sign on a lampost - blue circle with people and bike, positioned to face across
    > the road. Ie. best read from the opp. pavement. Now I undertand this to denote mixed use path, but
    > it was facing 90degs
    the
    > wrong way, and there was nothing to back it up. eg. white paint on
    pavement,
    > or anything to denote when this situation ended. It was a tad
    unconvincing.

    > Presumably this is some half-arsed way of signing off that the area is cycle-friendly? When in
    > reality it means one could whizz round the blind pavement corner, and then cycle forever on the
    > pavement until you came to a 'cycling prohibited' sign? Drans.

    I've seem this before - I think it's to indicate that you can cycle across the road from a
    shared-use path to another shared-use path.

    It what we're stuck with until someone has the sense to design a zebra-like cycle crossing.

  6. In news:[email protected], Dransfield
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > Cycling up the south circular (A205) the other day approaching Shooters Hill crossroads the bus
    > lane disappeared, and so I had to squeeze up the inside of the stationary traffic (lights on red)
    > so that I could wait next to the nice lady who was hogging the ASL box.
    >
    > But I noticed a sign on a lampost - blue circle with people and bike, positioned to face across
    > the road. Ie. best read from the opp. pavement. Now I undertand this to denote mixed use path, but
    > it was facing 90degs the wrong way, and there was nothing to back it up.

    Hmm - haven't been back to Saarf Lahndan for *years* now (and I didn't have a bike when I lived
    there), but I would suspect (as others do) this sign *was* correcly denoting a shared-use path, and
    has since been spun round to point in an incorrect direction by vandals.

    This happens regularly in Reading - if you took some of the towpath signs at face value you would
    need to have an *amphibious* bicycle :)

    Alex

  7. "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Hmm - haven't been back to Saarf Lahndan for *years* now (and I didn't have a bike when I lived
    > there), but I would suspect (as others do) this sign *was* correcly denoting a shared-use path,
    > and has since been spun round to point in an incorrect direction by vandals.

    For officially sanctioned 'comedy' signposts, see;

    http://www.spokeseastkent.org.uk/images/hamsand.jpg

    Completely genuine, rather than Photoshop-doctored. A bit of a minor landmark in that part of the
    world (or so my girlfriend assures me), apparently.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 28 Feb 2003 04:36:53 -0800, [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote:

    >For officially sanctioned 'comedy' signposts, see;

    A particular favourite of mine pointed the way to Little Snoring and Great Snoring. That would be my
    son Michael and me, then :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  9. In news:[email protected], David E. Belcher
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >>
    >> Hmm - haven't been back to Saarf Lahndan for *years* now (and I didn't have a bike when I lived
    >> there), but I would suspect (as others do) this sign *was* correcly denoting a shared-use path,
    >> and has since been spun round to point in an incorrect direction by vandals.
    >
    > For officially sanctioned 'comedy' signposts, see;
    >
    > http://www.spokeseastkent.org.uk/images/hamsand.jpg
    >
    > Completely genuine, rather than Photoshop-doctored. A bit of a minor

    yep - I would guess it amused the council staff in the old days (those sort of signs are technically
    obsolete, although I think some still exist in S. Oxon) - and due to this the sign has been kept
    over the years.

    A rather more rebellious one is the green man aspect in a certain pelican crossing in Reading (GT
    knollys St, towards West Reading / Central swimming pool end) :)

    Alex

  10. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 10:36:18 -0000, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >But I'm sure you didn't participate in the Ugley Women's Cycling Weekend
    >http://www.londoncyclesport.com/women/training_we_report_02.html

    Now, I don't want to go all Uri Geller here, but this year's was held in Welwyn Garden City on the
    weekend of 25/26 January. I was born in Welwyn Garden City on 26 January (in 1964).

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 22:47:35 -0000, "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A rather more rebellious one is the green man aspect in a certain pelican crossing in Reading (GT
    >knollys St, towards West Reading / Central swimming pool end) :)

    Elucidate...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Now, I don't want to go all Uri Geller here, but this year's was held in Welwyn Garden City on the
    > weekend of 25/26 January. I was born in Welwyn Garden City on 26 January (in 1964).

    You're Welwyn there then! Badoom ching, thank you, thank you.

    Sorry, IGMC

    Tony ;-)

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  14. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 12:03:23 +0000, "Some old bloke we know" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >26 January (in 1964).

    An excellent year, especially later on.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  15. "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mr [email protected] wrote:
    > > (those sort of signs are technically obsolete ...

    Also still lots of them to be seen near York, especially in the Ryedale & Hambleton districts. Other
    favourite roadside oddities include the milestone on the A61 in middle of town at Alfreton,
    Derbys.[1], which reads "Alfreton 0 Miles" ;-)

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    [1] Near the HSBC bank, from memory.

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    David E. Belcher <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Other favourite roadside oddities include the milestone on the A61 in middle of town at Alfreton,
    > Derbys.[1], which reads "Alfreton 0 Miles" ;-)

    Round Cambridge road signs give distances to Puckeridge, a little known village on the northern
    outskirts of London. Presumably at one time it was a key destination but it is still preferred over
    London on new signs

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  17. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > David E. Belcher <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Other favourite roadside oddities include the milestone on the A61 in middle of town at
    > > Alfreton, Derbys.[1], which reads "Alfreton 0 Miles" ;-)
    >
    > Round Cambridge road signs give distances to Puckeridge, a little known village on the northern
    > outskirts of London. Presumably at one time it
    was
    > a key destination but it is still preferred over London on new signs

    Its a nice little town -- village, indeed!!

    Its miles from the outskirts of London.

    There is shed loads of excellent cycling in the area.

    The choice of Puckeridge as the destination probably reflects the fear of the yokels to go near the
    smoke. Its like the M1 signs in Yorkshire -- lots of data on distances to obscure little places like
    Sheffield and Leeds -- but no data on anything outside Yorkshire.

  18. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Orienteer
    <[email protected]> writes

    >It always rather amused me, that heading away from London, many road signs read 'The North', but
    >you never see signs going the other way saying 'The South'.
    That's because Southerners know which way home is....
    --
    DP

  19. Orienteer

    Orienteer Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > David E. Belcher <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Other favourite roadside oddities include the milestone on the A61 in middle of town at
    > > > Alfreton, Derbys.[1], which reads "Alfreton 0 Miles" ;-)
    > >
    > > Round Cambridge road signs give distances to Puckeridge, a little known village on the northern
    > > outskirts of London. Presumably at one time it
    > was
    > > a key destination but it is still preferred over London on new signs
    >
    > Its a nice little town -- village, indeed!!
    >
    > Its miles from the outskirts of London.
    >
    > There is shed loads of excellent cycling in the area.
    >
    > The choice of Puckeridge as the destination probably reflects the fear of the yokels to go near
    > the smoke. Its like the M1 signs in Yorkshire --
    lots
    > of data on distances to obscure little places like Sheffield and Leeds -- but no data on anything
    > outside Yorkshire.

    It always rather amused me, that heading away from London, many road signs read 'The North', but you
    never see signs going the other way saying 'The South'.

  20. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Orienteer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > It always rather amused me, that heading away from London, many road signs read 'The North', but
    > you never see signs going the other way saying 'The South'.

    Try roads south out of Glasgow and Edinburgh. There always used to be plenty saying the South.