What does this sign mean?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dransfield, Feb 27, 2003.

  1. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > It always rather amused me, that heading away from London, many road signs read 'The North', but
    > you never see signs going the other way saying 'The South'.

    Once you get far enough north your do. In fact once in "the north" you get signs for The North and
    The South. For example, leaving the village of Fairburn in Yorkshire there is a sign something
    like this:

    /--------------|
    / The North |
    \ The South |
    \--------------|

    It points vaguely north.

    Colin

  2. "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Orienteer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > It always rather amused me, that heading away from London, many road signs read 'The North', but
    > > you never see signs going the other way saying 'The South'.
    >
    > Try roads south out of Glasgow and Edinburgh. There always used to be plenty saying the South.

    Heading out of Gloucester after a week's holiday in the West Country is usually entertaining when
    trying to get to Worcester. The A38 is very well signposted in the opposite direction, but nothing
    heading north! As a result, Dad (who can't stand M-way driving) invariably got lost on many
    occasions and ended up on the M5....

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  3. On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:12:03 GMT, contributor Orienteer had scribed:
    > It always rather amused me, that heading away from London, many road signs read 'The North', but
    > you never see signs going the other way saying 'The South'.

    Depends where you are coming from.

    Gary

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.