What Early Season Racing Should Look Like

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:39:17 GMT, B. Lafferty wrote:
    > > http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04valenciaSt2 Nice shot by
    > > Dr. Watson.
    >
    > Which one? You probably meant http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04valenciaSt2-002000
    > There's more cold and suffering in http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04valenciaSt2-
    > 007000

    i don't understand how they can ride in wet/cold late winter weather and not wear full fingered
    gloves. if i do that my hands get so numb i end up not being able to shift gears for the final bit
    of my ride.

    heather

  2. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:39:17 GMT, B. Lafferty wrote:

    http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04valenciaSt2
    > > Nice shot by Dr. Watson.
    >
    > Which one? You probably meant http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04valenciaSt2-002000
    > There's more cold and suffering in http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04valenciaSt2-
    > 007000

    I was thinking of the one with Islas leading in the rain and the one of White having his brake
    worked on--nice jersey filth.

  3. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > >
    > > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:39:17 GMT, B. Lafferty wrote:

    http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04valenciaSt2
    > > > Nice shot by Dr. Watson.
    > >
    > > Which one? You probably meant http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04valenciaSt2-
    > > 002000 There's more cold and suffering in http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04valenciaSt2-
    > > 007000
    >
    > i don't understand how they can ride in wet/cold late winter weather and not wear full fingered
    > gloves. if i do that my hands get so numb i end up not being able to shift gears for the final bit
    > of my ride.
    >
    > heather

    Get your boyfriend to hold your hand. ;-)

  4. On 02/28/2004 06:39 AM, in article
    [email protected], "B. Lafferty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04valenci aSt2
    >
    > Nice shot by Dr. Watson.

    One of these days [email protected] will learn how to pull the URL of a particular frame, instead of the whole
    frameset ...

    To which particular image are you referring?

    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  5. On 02/28/2004 07:31 AM, in article [email protected], "h
    squared" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    >>
    >> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:39:17 GMT, B. Lafferty wrote:
    >>> http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04valen ciaSt2 Nice shot by
    >>> Dr. Watson.
    >>
    >> Which one? You probably meant http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04valenciaSt2-
    >> 002000 There's more cold and suffering in http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04valenciaSt2-
    >> 007000
    >
    > i don't understand how they can ride in wet/cold late winter weather and not wear full fingered
    > gloves. if i do that my hands get so numb i end up not being able to shift gears for the final bit
    > of my ride.

    Wait a sec ... You actually RIDE every once in awhile? And here I thought you just did the fruit-
    boot thing, but liked looking at the racer boys.

    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  6. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    "Steven L. Sheffield" wrote:

    > Wait a sec ... You actually RIDE every once in awhile? And here I thought you just did the fruit-
    > boot thing, but liked looking at the racer boys.

    sometimes i ride something that resembles a bike. more often in the fall. i use to commute, but my
    work is different now and i need to drive my car (during work, so bike commuting is more than
    pointless..)

    then after a few months i get pissed off at what a crappy bike rider i am and quit for a while.
    someday after i pay off my school loan and my kid's braces i'll buy a real bike and maybe it will go
    better, but i'm still going to wear gloves in the rain, no matter what.

    heather

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:39:17 GMT, B. Lafferty wrote:

    http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04valenciaSt2
    > > Nice shot by Dr. Watson.
    >
    > Which one? You probably meant http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04valenciaSt2-002000
    > There's more cold and suffering in http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04valenciaSt2-
    > 007000

    Let's not forget who won that race.

  8. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

  9. On 02/29/2004 08:38 AM, in article [email protected], "h
    squared" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "B. Lafferty" wrote:
    >>
    >> http://thebird.org/assholes/
    >
    > nah, he's no asshole, steven is a skateboarder. that's harsh enough.
    >
    > heather

    I'm a lousy skateboarder ... In fact, I think I'm gonna stick with the bike. At 37, I'm getting too
    old to slam my body into concrete on a regular basis.

    BTW, skateboarders are not the only ones who call bladers "fruit booters", although it's not my
    usual term for them. Living in San Francisco for 12 years taught me better than that.

    I've often heard it from cyclists who get pissed off at the bladers who feel it necessary to take
    up the entire "multi-use" path (while wearing headphones so they don't know what's approaching
    from behind).

    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  10. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    "Steven L. Sheffield" wrote:

    > I've often heard it from cyclists who get pissed off at the bladers who feel it necessary to take
    > up the entire "multi-use" path (while wearing headphones so they don't know what's approaching
    > from behind).

    i've been run off the trail by cyclists who think it's ok to ride 3 abreast with no hands on the
    bars, runners who run on the wrong side of the trail- never mind that oncoming bikes in their
    correct lane leave me no place to go except into the bushes, and inline skaters who go on skate
    dates so have to hold each others hands on narrow trails. i've been run of the trail while i've been
    both riding and skating. BUT the only people who have verbally and physically threatened me have
    been skateboarders.. don't get me wrong, i have a board on my list of things to buy. it's the angry
    attitude that freaks me out.

    i'm sorry, for some reason i thought we were semi-friends. guess i was too full of myself to pay
    close enough attention. i know i sound pissy, but i actually am really sorry.

    bye heather

  11. On 02/29/2004 11:25 AM, in article [email protected], "h
    squared" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Steven L. Sheffield" wrote:
    >>

    >> I've often heard it from cyclists who get pissed off at the bladers who feel it necessary to take
    >> up the entire "multi-use" path (while wearing headphones so they don't know what's approaching
    >> from behind).
    >
    > i've been run off the trail by cyclists who think it's ok to ride 3 abreast with no hands on the
    > bars, runners who run on the wrong side of the trail- never mind that oncoming bikes in their
    > correct lane leave me no place to go except into the bushes, and inline skaters who go on skate
    > dates so have to hold each others hands on narrow trails. i've been run of the trail while i've
    > been both riding and skating.

    Nice to know there are assholes in all walks of life.

    > BUT the only people who have verbally and physically threatened me have been skateboarders..
    > don't get me wrong, i have a board on my list of things to buy. it's the angry attitude that
    > freaks me out.

    Well ... In that sense, I'm definitely NOT a skateboarder.

    The only verbal or physical confrontation I've ever had with another person while out recreating is
    with an ass who let his dog off-leash to go charging across the park from the parking lot; across
    the path, to the dog-run on the other side ... Nearly took down me and a woman riding in the other
    direction with a toddler in a seat on the back of her bike.

    > i'm sorry, for some reason i thought we were semi-friends. guess i was too full of myself to pay
    > close enough attention. i know i sound pissy, but i actually am really sorry.

    I was teasing when I originally used the "fruit-booter" term. I have far too much respect for your
    accomplishments in STP (and for putting up with all of us jerk-offs in RBR) to lump you in with the
    idiots who should know better ... And know that they are just a (minority, hopefully) subset of
    bladers, just like the cyclists you described are not indicative of every cyclist on the
    road/path/trail.

    So, H2, please accept my humble apology ...

  12. on sun, 29 feb 2004 19:38:59 gmt, steven l. sheffield wrote:
    > So, H2, please accept my humble apology ...

    for penance, you must never touch your shift-key again. and say 3 hail heathers.

  13. On 02/29/2004 12:47 PM, in article
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > on sun, 29 feb 2004 19:38:59 gmt, steven l. sheffield wrote:
    >> So, H2, please accept my humble apology ...
    >
    > for penance, you must never touch your shift-key again. and say 3 hail heathers.

    hail heather, full of grace. the lord is with thee.

    blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, (12-year old who
    explains puns).

    holy heather, mother of rec.bicycles.racing, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of the
    markleeville death ride.

    amen.

    hail heather, full of grace. the lord is with thee.

    blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, (12-year old who
    explains puns).

    holy heather, mother of rec.bicycles.racing, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of the
    markleeville death ride.

    amen.

    hail heather, full of grace. the lord is with thee.

    blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, (12-year old who
    explains puns).

    holy heather, mother of rec.bicycles.racing, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of the
    markleeville death ride.

    amen.

    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  14. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    "Steven L. Sheffield" wrote:

    > I was teasing when I originally used the "fruit-booter" term. I have far too much respect for your
    > accomplishments in STP (and for putting up with all of us jerk-offs in RBR) to lump you in with
    > the idiots who should know better ... And know that they are just a (minority, hopefully) subset
    > of bladers, just like the cyclists you described are not indicative of every cyclist on the
    > road/path/trail.
    >
    > So, H2, please accept my humble apology ...

    of course i'd accept your apology, but it was just a misunderstanding, so it's not even necessary
    for you to make one. i did think at first you were joking, which is why i called you a
    "skateboarder" in return, but then i (wrongly) read your reply to that to mean that you were serious
    about it after all. it seemed to come from out of the blue, so i should have known i was reading it
    wrong. sorry about that.

    heh- after i wrote my reply i went out and skated furiously fast with a big angry frown on my face,
    for, oh, about 3 miles, until i bonked. then the happy endorphins came and i told myself that i take
    things way too seriously sometimes :)

    thank you for the nice post (and the silly one too), h2

  15. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <BC67722B.25669%[email protected]>,
    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 02/29/2004 08:38 AM, in article [email protected], "h squared"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > "B. Lafferty" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> http://thebird.org/assholes/
    > >
    > > nah, he's no asshole, steven is a skateboarder. that's harsh enough.
    > >
    > > heather
    >

    > I'm a lousy skateboarder ... In fact, I think I'm gonna stick with the bike. At 37, I'm getting
    > too old to slam my body into concrete on a regular basis.

    I figured that out back near the end of the first era of skateparks
    (well, not the 'too old' part - more a matter of lack of interest in the
    kinds of injuries that are part and parcel of riding vert). I never liked
    parks much. It was always more fun to actually search out pools to ride.

    > I've often heard it from cyclists who get pissed off at the bladers who feel it necessary to take
    > up the entire "multi-use" path (while wearing headphones so they don't know what's approaching
    > from behind).

    As was pointed out in a later post, there's jerks on those trails doing all the different things
    - skating, cycling, running, etc. I always figure some of them are just clueless and unaware, but
    some are assholes.

    I used to have to take about a mile long section of one of those trails between a main
    thoroughfair and where I used to work. One day I got on that and some girl on inlines was doing
    the whole figure skating routine. She was taking up the entire trail and knew it. If you tried to
    go by, she'd start weaving around and doing spins (arms and feet out). The problem was there were
    bushes that ran right up to the edge of the trail - no way to go by. After a minute or so, she
    had a group of three bikes, two runners and about four skaters bottled up. So this one girl on
    skates says, "Time for some trail cleaning..." and goes by me. The other girl tried to block her
    by starting to do some spin and got roller-derbied into the whoopie bushes for her trouble.
    Cheers and laughter ensued.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "Food plus heat equals cooking"