What effect does SSing have on mtn biking?

Gman

Guest
What effect does the popularity of single speeding have on the mtn biking industry?

Any?

In some respects, one might argue that some riders are now drawn to less-expensive, simpler bikes,
which create less revenue for bike manufacturers. It's easy and cheap to turn that 1990 Hard Rock
into an SS!

However, most of us have 2-3-4 bikes, so it's probably good being that we've bought _another_ bike.
A new market!

However again, in my case if I were to upgrade my bike, it would likely be a $1000 SS, instead of a
$1500-$2000 FS that it might have been last year.

Then there's the consideration that there are so few SSers, that it doesn't really matter.

...back to MNF!

--
Gman

i'm waiting to see the first fixed-gear SS on on trails! the early tours de france were ridden over
goat tracks in the mtns on fixed gear bikes. jc

Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> What effect does the popularity of single speeding have on the mtn biking industry?
>
> Any?

Yeah, it's forcing people to ride a bike again instead of riding on a bike like so many pogues that
depend on gears and suspension in lieu of skill.

> In some respects, one might argue that some riders are now drawn to less-expensive, simpler bikes,
> which create less revenue for bike manufacturers. It's easy and cheap to turn that 1990 Hard Rock
> into an SS!

Tango Sierra for the manufacturers.

> However, most of us have 2-3-4 bikes, so it's probably good being that we've bought _another_
> bike. A new market!

Yeah, but lamers will find out it's more work than they bargained for and turn the bikes into a car
chamois drying rack.

> However again, in my case if I were to upgrade my bike, it would likely be a $1000 SS, instead of
> a $1500-$2000 FS that it might have been last year.

You have been completely assimilated, GMan.

> Then there's the consideration that there are so few SSers, that it doesn't really matter.

Fewer SSers. that's great. As Angry Man says, "If everyone were cool like us, we'd have nowhere
to be cool."

JD

Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> What effect does the popularity of single speeding have on the mtn biking industry?
>
> Any?
>
> In some respects, one might argue that some riders are now drawn to less-expensive, simpler bikes,
> which create less revenue for bike manufacturers. It's easy and cheap to turn that 1990 Hard Rock
> into an SS!
>
> However, most of us have 2-3-4 bikes, so it's probably good being that we've bought _another_
> bike. A new market!
>
> However again, in my case if I were to upgrade my bike, it would likely be a $1000 SS, instead of
> a $1500-$2000 FS that it might have been last year.
>
> Then there's the consideration that there are so few SSers, that it doesn't really matter.
>
> ...back to MNF!

Interesting thoughts, G-Man. I don't think the impact is measurable. yet. I think all singlespeeders
also have a geared bike. But since singlespeeding for the last couple years along with
multispeeding, my urge to buy the new long-travel, fs-disk brake, latest techno whiz-bike has
diminished quite a bit.

But I -am- excited to take my geared bike out tomorrow with the newly rebuilt Z2 fork on it (thanks,
Jerry) to see what all the stoke is about Marzocchis.

Paladin

Gman <[email protected]> wrote

> What effect does the popularity of single speeding have on the mtn biking industry?

Makes it better. Maybe if people stopped buying so much overdesigned techno-weenie ********, bike
companies would start to offer simple, robust designs for real riding.

I know. I'm a crazy dreamer.

> However again, in my case if I were to upgrade my bike, it would likely be a $1000 SS, instead of
> a $1500-$2000 FS that it might have been last year.

I'm about to finalize the order on my new (third) bike to complement the 9-speed hardtail and the
singlespeed MTB. A Surly Cross-check cyclocross frame, a Phil Wood flip-flop fixed/free singlespeed
rear hub,on 700c wheels, 170mm Sugino 49-tooth track crankset, V-brakes, drop bars. The urban
monster: fast, sleek, durable, one speed. And cheap to boot. Can't wait.

If I hadn't been singlespeeding for a while, I never would have considered this bike. What does it
mean for the bike industry? I dunno. I'm not buying a Trek.

CC

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Gman <[email protected]> wrote

<shnip>

> I'm about to finalize the order on my new (third) bike to complement the 9-speed hardtail and the
> singlespeed MTB. A Surly Cross-check cyclocross frame, a Phil Wood flip-flop fixed/free
> singlespeed rear hub,on 700c wheels, 170mm Sugino 49-tooth track crankset, V-brakes, drop bars.
> The urban monster: fast, sleek, durable, one speed. And cheap to boot. Can't wait.
>
> CC

whaddap CC, i'm getting all drooly and my nipples are hard. and that's not just because i just
arrived in to work on the k-k-kona. questions:
1. if it's fixed, why not a steamroller frame? i know the xcheck has horizontal drops, but that
derrailleur hanger... i suspect that this is a slow movement towards a, gasp, "road bike"? can
the tub of nair, hot pink ONCE team kit, and liberal use of cologne be far behind?
2. $.02: 170s, huh? i don't know what the bb height is on the xcheck, but for the record, i've never
clipped a pedal on the road with the fixed (175's with a standard road-bike-low bb height). well,
maybe i've touched a couple curbs, but as we're manly men somewhat accustomed to being thrown off
our bicycles into trees and rocks, nothing that freaked me out. i think the benefits of having
the extra 10mm on the cranks outdoes whatever that extra 5mm comes out to in terms on lean angle
if you happen clip a pedal. i'd imagine you'd be using the freewheel for downhilling at
plattekill to avoid having to keep pedalling through the rock garden....
3. are you getting it directly from surly, or a shop? ballpark: how much is 'cheap'?
4. is a snow ride in order in the near future with your current rig?
5. when are you getting this thing? i've got a couple guys who have expressed just less than
non-interest in riding river road on their fixed rigs. my frame's starting to get pretty swoopy
and my bb's kaput, but it could be somewhat entertaining. or a trail of tears. which is also
entertaining. /s

[email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > What effect does the popularity of single speeding have on the mtn biking industry?
> >
> > Any?
> >
> > In some respects, one might argue that some riders are now drawn to less-expensive, simpler
> > bikes, which create less revenue for bike manufacturers. It's easy and cheap to turn that 1990
> > Hard Rock into an SS!
> >
> > However, most of us have 2-3-4 bikes, so it's probably good being that we've bought _another_
> > bike. A new market!
> >
> > However again, in my case if I were to upgrade my bike, it would likely be a $1000 SS, instead
> > of a $1500-$2000 FS that it might have been last year.
> >
> > Then there's the consideration that there are so few SSers, that it doesn't really matter.
> >
> > ...back to MNF!
>

> Interesting thoughts, G-Man. I don't think the impact is measurable. yet. I think all
> singlespeeders also have a geared bike. But since singlespeeding for the last couple years along
> with multispeeding, my urge to buy the new long-travel, fs-disk brake, latest techno whiz-bike has
> diminished quite a bit.
>
> But I -am- excited to take my geared bike out tomorrow with the newly rebuilt Z2 fork on it
> (thanks, Jerry) to see what all the stoke is about Marzocchis.
>
> Paladin

De nada, amigo. Welcome to the 'Hood!

JD

[email protected] (supabonbon) wrote

> i'm getting all drooly and my nipples are hard. and that's not just because i just arrived in to
> work on the k-k-kona.

Dude! Congrats on riding in to work today. Sixth Avenue must have been brutal.

> questions:
> 1. if it's fixed, why not a steamroller frame? i know the xcheck has horizontal drops, but that
> derrailleur hanger...

Longer wheelbase, shallower head tube angle, more fork rake, 132.5mm dropouts, and (very important)
BRAKE BOSSES. I may catch **** for riding a fixie with front _and_ rear brakes, but I can take it.
This is a weird bike, neither fish nor fowl, and I'm an independent thinker ;-).

> can the tub of nair, hot pink ONCE team kit, and liberal use of cologne be far behind?

You tell me.

> 2. $.02: 170s, huh? [...] i think the benefits of having the extra 10mm on the cranks outdoes
> whatever that extra 5mm comes out to in terms on lean angle if you happen clip a pedal.

I too am dubious about the short cranks, but the LBS guys assure me that the 170's will make it much
easier to maintain an even spin when running fixed.

> 3. are you getting it directly from surly, or a shop? ballpark: how much is 'cheap'?

I'm picking it up from Bicycle Habitat on Lafayette Street for a bit over a grand. A good deal for a
bike I'm ordering piece-by-piece. It helps that we're ordering two of them: Jeanette liked the idea
so much that she's getting one too. His-and-hers fixed-gear cyclocross bikes: isn't that just so
romantic and Christmas-ey?

> 4. is a snow ride in order in the near future with your current rig?

I rode down to SoHo this morning to put a deposit on the bike. Pretty ****ing snowy out there, but
the singlespeed ran like a champ. Biking on icy streets in Manhattan is certainly a test of nerves.
Even the couriers were giving me respect for being out there today.

I'll probably do a short ride tomorrow. No specific plans for the weekend, so let me know what
you're thinking.

> 5. when are you getting this thing? i've got a couple guys who have expressed just less than
> non-interest in riding river road on their fixed rigs. my frame's starting to get pretty swoopy
> and my bb's kaput, but it could be somewhat entertaining. or a trail of tears. which is also
> entertaining.

Hee. I'm game, but I want to get a little experience on the fixed before I try those hills. Yoicks!
But it would be worth it just to see you do it...

The frame should be in next week. It'll take a little while to do the build, especially since I'm
building the wheels myself and I'm _slow_.

CC

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>

> > questions:
> > 1. if it's fixed, why not a steamroller frame? i know the xcheck has horizontal drops, but that
> > derrailleur hanger...
> Longer wheelbase, shallower head tube angle, more fork rake, 132.5mm dropouts, and (very
> important) BRAKE BOSSES. I may catch **** for riding a fixie with front _and_ rear brakes, but I
> can take it.
Good points all. I think the steamroller's drilled for calipers, but.... I've still got both brakes
on mine. The only people who give me **** are guys who don't ride fixed. "Do messengers ever give
you **** about it?" All messengers want to do is get to their next crack hit. They couldn't care
less. Brakes: definitely better to have them when you need them. And if that's not enough, Saint
Sheldon uses them on his fixed. 'nuff said.

> > 2. $.02: 170s, huh? [...]
> I too am dubious about the short cranks, but the LBS guys assure me that the 170's will make it
> much easier to maintain an even spin when running fixed.
They may be right. A week ago I saw a guy on a unicycle with what looked like a 29" wheel with a
downhilling tire on it. He had these cranks that looked around the size of your average tricycle's,
like 140s or something crazy, and obviously he was on flats. I followed him up and down the Brooklyn
Bridge, and he was movin'! I guess increased torque isn't such a good thing when you've only got one
wheel. May apply to fixed too.

> His-and-hers fixed-gear cyclocross bikes: isn't that just so romantic and Christmas-ey?
If you guys get me one, I'll let you adopt me.

> I'll probably do a short ride tomorrow. No specific plans for the weekend, so let me know what
> you're thinking.
I'm gonna be in NJ tonight and tomo, sweet lord help me, teaching mom how to use a computer. ****.
i'll bring the bike down, hopefully hit hartshorne before i strangle myself. Sunday's a possibility,
maybe a lazy flop around morningside or prospect? i still have your digits, i'll give you a call if
i'm around.

> The frame should be in next week. It'll take a little while to do the build, especially since I'm
> building the wheels myself and I'm _slow_. CC
Sounds good. I just got an email from one of the guys. He said after the holidays, he's in. It'll
give me a chance to try it and see if I'll be able to handle the gearing. (what are you going to be
running btw, a 49x?) i might even get down to pulling the bottom bracket and see if it's
salvageable. it may prevent somebody getting a mid-climb leg full of bb buckshot a la Lemond. it'll
also give me a chance to clean the hot pink kit, depile, and get the drakkar rockin' like the disco
savage i am. /s

[email protected] (supabonbon) wrote

> what are you going to be running btw, a 49x?)

I'll be running a 49x18 fixed, 49x20 free. Wuf.

But perhaps we ought to be taking this to alt.adult.fixed-gear.cyclocross...

CC

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote
> >
> > what are you going to be running btw, a 49x?)
>
> I'll be running a 49x18 fixed, 49x20 free. Wuf.
>
> But perhaps we ought to be taking this to alt.adult.fixed-gear.cyclocross...
>
> CC

So what's the progress report? Get that rear wheel worked out yet?

/s

[email protected] (supabonbon) wrote

> So what's the progress report? Get that rear wheel worked out yet?

I've been riding the Abomination every day. What a beast. It's been requiring a lot of NSAIDs to
make it through the week, but I'm getting acclimated to it. I'm not making nearly as many
embarassing mistakes stopping and starting in traffic. The first couple of rides were ugly. The
bike really shines when I get it out onto 9W and open it up. The ****er flies, even with the
obscene 700x38's.

Here (for about the tenth time, sorry) are the pics:

http://www.pbase.com/corvuscorvax/surly/

It's like learning to ride all over again. Jumping curbs on a fix is confusing and frightening.
Feeling the bike start to get away from me at high speed on a downhill is terrifying. I love it.

It'll be a little while before I'm ready to take on the Palisades on this bike. But if you want to
hook up for a slightly less nutty ride, let me know. You gotta see this thing.

CC

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote

> > Question: Any chainline issues? Which chain are you using? I go through one every other month or
> > so, heavy duty BMX numbers. My gearing is 1/8 x 1/2, yours looks like it may be the same.
>
> The chainline is bang on. Martin and Hal down at Habitat to good work. I'm running the big 1/8 --
> Hal refused in install it with a detachable link. He made me take the bike back in the shop and
> install the chain myself so I would have no way to blame him when it breaks ;-).
>
> Every other month?? Jesus. I know you're putting a lot of stress on it, but that's really
> rapid wear.
>
> CC

Looking at what I wrote, it's really around 3+ months per. My apologies. Only my last one lasted but
a month, but was fine before I tried River Road. Could be that the KMCs are ****, but when you're
accelerating and braking on the chain, I guess it makes sense. Anyhoo, ordered a bunch of SRAM PC-1
chains yesterday from Sheldon's site. For $10 a pop, can't be all that bad. And, no matter what
Sachs says, I agree with the detachable link assessment. Even though you have brakes, with the
torque you're going to wind up putting on it, breaking a chain would suck very, very, very badly. /s