what elbow guards?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by nickjb, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. nickjb

    nickjb Guest

    I'm thinking about getting some elbow/forarm guards (like the 661 2x4s).
    I'm sure someone at BMW mentioned that they can get in the way of wrist
    guards. Can anyone recommend some that will work with wrist guards?

    Cheers
    nick

    --
    nickjb - one wheel short
    nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

  2. Tellurider

    Tellurider Guest

    I had a pair of roach elbow pads and they are like the 661 2x4s and they
    were to long and overlaped with my wrist guards and they were stiff and
    made it so you couldn't straighten your arm so I never wore them. After
    I fell and scraped my elbow I bought a pair of Fox new comp elbow pads
    and I like them a lot they have a two piece plastic outer shell and they
    aren't bulky like roler blade type elbow pads and no straps to deal with
    you just pull them on and they stay in place. I got them from price
    point for $25 and they have the old Fox comp elbow pads for $15 which
    look similar.

    --
    Tellurider - Dan Wilson
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

  3. dubmuni2004

    dubmuni2004 Guest

    why do you need wrist guards anyway? I have never had a problem with my
    wrists unicycling, as far as im concerned you dont need them. If i were
    going to reccomend arm guards it would definently be the sixsixones

    --
    dubmuni2004 - not a clown

    I dont have a signature
    dubmuni2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5837

  4. Tellurider

    Tellurider Guest

    dubmuni2004 wrote:
    > *why do you need wrist guards anyway? I have never had a problem with
    > my wrists unicycling, as far as im concerned you dont need them. If i
    > were going to reccomend arm guards it would definently be the
    > sixsixones *

    I wear wrist guard because I don't want to injur or break a wrist I wear
    harbinger wrist guards and I have ground a lot of plastic off of them
    and taken a lot of impacts with them and have never injured a wrist.
    Protective gear is a personal choice and if gloves work well for you I
    would stick with them, a lot of muni riders wear cycling gloves. I just
    have kind of gimpy wrists and have sprained them in the past and I like
    the protection that wrist guards give. Kris Holm wears full finger
    cycling gloves that he has sewn a pair of harbinger wrist wraps to for
    more support, but the question was what elbow guards work with wrist
    guards not should I wear wrist guards, and the 661s don't work well with
    wrist guards.

    --

  5. Tellurider wrote:
    > * and the 661s don't work well with wrist guards. *

    False. Some people complain that the 661's are too short (hence, very
    good with wrist guards). I wear gloves (and sometimes wrist guards with
    my 661's). For me, the 661's do not touch the wrist guards - I actually
    have an inch (or more) clearence. One of the members has a "product
    review site" and when you read the reviews on it - you will find support
    for my opinion.
    I highly recommend them and think you may have been misinformed.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  6. Tellurider

    Tellurider Guest

    ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
    > *
    >
    > False. Some people complain that the 661's are too short
    > I highly recommend them and think you may have been misinformed. *

    This could be, I had a pair of roach elbow pads and they are definitly
    to long, and I hated the way they restricted my elbow movement, it
    bothered me that I couldn't straighten my arm all the way. even after I
    modified them by cutting off a couple of inches off the bottom, I still
    didn't wear them. I think the 661s are still kind of long and may
    interfere with wrist guards depending on how long your arms are.

    --
    Tellurider - Dan Wilson
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

  7. dubmuni2004

    dubmuni2004 Guest

    hey dan wilson, were you at the bananna belt in salida last year doing
    some trials on the setup they had?? you had your dog and another lady
    was unicycling too. I was there but my uni was at our freinds house and
    I didnt bring any padding, I should have said hi!

    --
    dubmuni2004 - Aaron Dubois

    I dont have a signature
    dubmuni2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5837

  8. Tellurider

    Tellurider Guest

    dubmuni2004 wrote:
    > *hey dan wilson, were you at the bananna belt in salida last year
    > doing some trials on the setup they had?? you had your dog and another
    > lady was unicycling too. I was there but my uni was at our freinds
    > house and I didnt bring any padding, I should have said hi! *

    No, that was Jon and Kattie Sapp they are also a telluriders though, If
    you are going to be near telluride contact me and we will get together
    and do some rides, I don't think that Kris Holm will be here this
    memorial day weekend but Nathan Hover and family will be and Its when
    the gondola begins summer operation, It's pointless to come any sooner
    as the snow needs to melt before the serious trails are open. Are you in
    Salida?

    Dan

    --
    Tellurider - Dan Wilson
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

  9. paco

    paco Guest

    I noticed that 'Jenson USA'
    (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=PG703C00) has 661 2x4's
    on sale for $17.00. They are closing them out and only have small left,
    unfortunately. Does the size matter that much (I'm a short guy and got
    the larges of the leg armor, and it sounds like the leg armor sizing
    doesn't make that much difference).

    And I'm going to start wearing a wrist guard on my left wrist (I won it
    at Moab) because I've repeatedly hurt my wrist from falling. Not major
    crashes, just UPD's where I catch myself with my hands (the most recent
    was during the Pecking Order event at Moab). In my case, it doesn't
    take much to aggravate my wrist.

    --
    paco - Co-Founder of the PacoGild Movement

    I'm having trouble thinking cognitively.
    paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

  10. dubmuni2004

    dubmuni2004 Guest

    No I dont live in salida but I visit there quite often ( twice or once a
    month) what do you mean by kris holm being there?? are you going to the
    bananna belt this year??

    --
    dubmuni2004 - Aaron Dubois

    I dont have a signature
    dubmuni2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5837

  11. Tellurider

    Tellurider Guest

    dubmuni2004 wrote:
    > *No I dont live in salida but I visit there quite often ( twice or
    > once a month) what do you mean by kris holm being there?? are you
    > going to the bananna belt this year?? *

    Memorial day weekend is the Telluride mountain film festival and Kris
    has had a film in the festival for the last three years and has been a
    guest of the festival, and last year Nathan was also a guest for Into
    The Thunder Dragon, but this year I don't think he has a film to
    present. It has been fun riding with him each year and I hope he will be
    atending the festival anyway.