What else should I test drive?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by AssociateVP, Oct 2, 2010.

1. AssociateVP

AssociateVP New Member

I'm buying my first road bike/Cross Bike/Touring Bike. I'm a big boy (better than 220 lb but expect to be in and around 200 soon). Want to use the bike for significant commuting (20 miles rt). Need a good wheel base for panniers. Want fenders. Want to keep cost to 1K. This is what I've looked into so far:

Norco Fraser . . . felt really good. Kept me upright and the price is certainly right. But it's not very sexy.
    Norco CCX3 . . . light! Felt okay until I rode the Fraser. It IS sexy and the cost is in the neighborhood. Wheel Base is a bit narrow?
    Kona Jake . . . No test drive yet. They're hard to find.
    Surley LHT . . . No test drive yet. Hope to check one out this week.
    Specialized Tri Cross . . . No test drive yet. Hope to check one out this week.
    Specialized Sectuer Elite . . . my first test drive and it felt good, I think. Will need to try again. But, it's way too expensive. I think I need to try the Sectuer Triple or Sport Compact

Am I missing something good? I tried to stick to steel frames following advice but I don't think I need to worry about that, right?

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Quote: Am I missing something good? I tried to stick to steel frames following advice but I don't think I need to worry about that, right?

FWIW. If I didn't already have a "light touring" bike with cantilever brakes ...

[​IMG]

I would give serious consideration to a JAMIS CODA ... particularly, the base model which has an MSRP of only $550(US).
    BTW. I bought the CroMo GIANT frame, used ... a little "research" revealed that the ready-to-ride bike was originally sold with FLAT Bars & relatively inexpensive components ...
    If I got the Jamis Coda, I would probably change to Road/Drop bars + cantilever brake calipers. at some point (as seen on the GIANT NUTRA, above) ... but, again, that's just my preference.
    Without fenders, the frame (and, fork) can accommodate 700x52 (29er) tires.