What Energy Gels Do You Use?

Vickeree

Mar 11, 2015
Can anyone share what energy gels they use? I've been experimenting with GU gels and cliff shots but most of the time I get gas problems and upset stomach if I combine it with pre-workout coffee and hydrate with gatorade on the road. Anyone here with the same experience?

joshposh

Banned
Apr 16, 2015
I don't use any gel for energy. I haven't felt the need to use any. I'm sure if I was a hardcore cyclist, I think I would look into it. For now I just eat right and fuel up frequently.

Weatherby

Mar 20, 2015
Vickeree said:
Can anyone share what energy gels they use? I've been experimenting with GU gels and cliff shots but most of the time I get gas problems and upset stomach if I combine it with pre-workout coffee and hydrate with gatorade on the road. Anyone here with the same experience?
It is the fructose in both of them.

adfnio

Apr 18, 2015
Gels of that sort tend to have sugar and possibly caffine. You need to load yourself with good protein and carbs. If you are short on time and on the go, then I can see you using them, but for long term sustainable energy, that's not a good option.

joshposh

Banned
Apr 16, 2015
Weatherby said:
It is the fructose in both of them.
You mean sugar right? Fructose is found in fruits as well. That's why I limit my fruit intake. I don't like to eat too much fructose/sugar.

gavinfree

Feb 19, 2015
I'd say cut back on all the pre-workout and maybe even the coffee. That's probably holding you back more than it's helping as far as I'm concerned. Energy gels aren't that great unless you're cycling incredibly long distances or with high intensity. Up the protein and carbs, and try to avoid so much sugar. I do like my caffeine personally, but it's usually better to cut back on it.

maydog

Feb 5, 2010
I used to carry a small bottle of honey for long treks. A hit of honey works just as good as any gel. Nowadays, I usually get a chocolate milk or two during a long steady ride.

joshposh

Banned
Apr 16, 2015
maydog said:
I used to carry a small bottle of honey for long treks. A hit of honey works just as good as any gel. Nowadays, I usually get a chocolate milk or two during a long steady ride.
Wow honey. Try this next time when you go out on a ride. Mix some honey with water and add a shot of organic apple cider vinegar. Braggs is my choice of ACV. It's a good health drink.