What exactly is the difference?

the cyclops

Jul 25, 2010
OK,Noob question.But I own a Jamis allegro 1 that I recently purchased.Rigid frame, 28/38/48 gearing,but with a flat bar.What exactly is the difference in what I have and a true road bike,beside the drop bars of course?

The frame will be made different, built heavier to haddle the off road stuff. The wheels and tires, wider than what a road bike would run. Also more spokes to handle the ruff stuff. The brakes, V vs Dual Pivot. This would be because of the wider wheels. And the bars, you got this covered. This is almost a road bike, but really.

Dave67 said:
The frame will be made different, built heavier to haddle the off road stuff. The wheels and tires, wider than what a road bike would run. Also more spokes to handle the ruff stuff. The brakes, V vs Dual Pivot. This would be because of the wider wheels. And the bars, you got this covered. This is almost a road bike, but really.
Kool,thanx.I knew the tires were a lil different(although I dont plan on any off roading at all) Didnt realize that the wheels were different though,or the brakes...Kool.

Crazymike said:
Drop bars put you more into an aerodynamic position
Well its funny,cuz I "demo'd" some bikes with drop bars and the straight bars seemed more comfy to me.But when I ride motorcycles,I prefer sportbikes w/a lower position.Im just weird I guess.