What foods are the staples to a good cyclists diet?

stormer94

May 19, 2004
I know how to eat as a body builder, low fat, lot's of protein, watch the carbs.

Eating like a body builder (didn't say I was big... lol...), I drink lots of protein shakes, eat lots of protein, tuna, egg whites, steak, shy away from white breads, refined sugars, fats, candys, etc. and I try to eat things that digest more slowly from the Glycemic index so as not to have my body more easily convert them to fat. Foods like apples instead of banannas if given a choice of picking slower digesting things.

I have no idea how to eat as a competitive cyclist!!! I'm not saying I'm competitive, but would at least like to eat correctly now that it is more of my focus than hitting the weights was.

I think that right now in my life, I am NOT eating correctly for a cyclist. Ideas?

Originally posted by stormer94
I know how to eat as a body builder, low fat, lot's of protein, watch the carbs.

Eating like a body builder (didn't say I was big... lol...), I drink lots of protein shakes, eat lots of protein, tuna, egg whites, steak, shy away from white breads, refined sugars, fats, candys, etc. and I try to eat things that digest more slowly from the Glycemic index so as not to have my body more easily convert them to fat. Foods like apples instead of banannas if given a choice of picking slower digesting things.

I have no idea how to eat as a competitive cyclist!!! I'm not saying I'm competitive, but would at least like to eat correctly now that it is more of my focus than hitting the weights was.

I think that right now in my life, I am NOT eating correctly for a cyclist. Ideas?

some people afraid of giving there .02 on this matter.... ??? :confused:

If you ride in the mornings(like most people do) , eat lightly. I usually just make a simple smoothie(bannana, crushed ice, OJ , yogurt , .... maybe creamy peanut butter) .... and something else super small- ie. a beggle.

During your ride, bring enough water, and Gateraide.

After your ride... its time to eat. Time to put back what you just depleated(complex Carbs... which are converted to Glycogen-stored energy). I'd suggest Pasta and/or Rice plate. Some meat(chicken) , some mixed Veggies , and even some desert- everyone could use some fat in there diet(butter, desert of some kind, etc).

Focus on eating 4-5 times daily(mainly smaller meals... but have a larger meal after riding) , and also focus on Times you want to eat. Before/during/after a ride..... also focus on proper hydration. Post-ride... also focus on eating ASAP. As long as you eat 30-45 minutes after a good ride... thats your bodies "open window" for refueling.

Hope this helps..... since I was not much of a help today around the house (one day out of 365 isnt too bad ;) )

There's not much to it, a normal balanced diet just like anyone else is fine. Except your intake will increase slightly with extra activity.

If you're riding 250-300 miles a week your body will answer you question for you. Anything you can shove in your face!!! :D

I'm impressed. :eek: But how do YOU ride 250 miles plus and work a 48 hour week also?

starship said:
I'm impressed. :eek: But how do YOU ride 250 miles plus and work a 48 hour week also?

I haven't done it yet, but I suspect it's not that tough. That's just a little over 2 hours a day, 7 days a week at 17 mph. Gotta put in those 35 mile days, and maybe 50 on the weekends. Weekends are the key, get up early and hit the road before the wind comes up...

Looks like I'm on pace to do over 150 miles this week, just gotta do over 25 tomorrow, I'm at about 125 now.

I live in a small town, I think the real trick is not riding that far, but not getting bored with your surroundings when you take a similar ride. (day after day....after day... after day.... after day.... after day....) :D

stormer94 said:
I haven't done it yet, but I suspect it's not that tough. That's just a little over 2 hours a day, 7 days a week at 17 mph. Gotta put in those 35 mile days, and maybe 50 on the weekends. Weekends are the key, get up early and hit the road before the wind comes up...

Looks like I'm on pace to do over 150 miles this week, just gotta do over 25 tomorrow, I'm at about 125 now.

I live in a small town, I think the real trick is not riding that far, but not getting bored with your surroundings when you take a similar ride. (day after day....after day... after day.... after day.... after day....) :D

Great Job, just keep on keeping on! I'll get 70-75 this week, and maybe a long ride on Saturday, but I have to be a work 2pm Saturday. Nice thing about second shift, I ride in the morning, when it's cool!