What gearing is best?

Blimp

Dec 29, 2002
I am currently running a 52/39 front, 12/25 rear.<br /><br />Being an impatient learner, I would like to be able to go faster downhill (run out of spin downhill at about 78 km/h) and sometimes would like an easier gear for short uphill sections, although 95% of the time the setup is ok.<br /><br />Is there a cheap/easy alternative setup for a modest increase at both top and bottom ends? (Shimano Tiagra)<br />

The easiest is to go 11/23 at the back (will have to get a Ultegra cluster) and get a triple ring at the front. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

[quote author=Blimp link=board=20;threadid=2829;start=0#msg23948 date=1041587587]<br />I am currently running a 52/39 front, 12/25 rear.<br /><br />Being an impatient learner, I would like to be able to go faster downhill (run out of spin downhill at about 78 km/h) and sometimes would like an easier gear for short uphill sections, although 95% of the time the setup is ok.<br /><br />Is there a cheap/easy alternative setup for a modest increase at both top and bottom ends? (Shimano Tiagra)<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I'd rather not comment on this subject ;) someone is bound to use extream examples to make me look like a stupid **** 8) <br /><br />cheers!

Normally if there's a decent downhill run, once I get up to about 50kph I tuck in and hang on for the ride, rather than try to keep pedalling ... I've found the better aerodynamics at that speed let me go faster than what pedalling would have done. (either that or I am just normally too tired from going up the hill in the first place :p )<br /><br />As for uphills, since I've learnt how to climb out of the saddle properly (and slowly work my standing time up from ride to ride in order to improve strength/ability to do so) things have got a fair bit easier. The heart rate goes through the roof, but I don't really feel it until I sit back down again!

I would prefer not to go for a triple ring at the front as people might laugh or throw rotten fruit at me.<br /><br />If I could get over the humiliation aspect, what equipment changes would be required? Just the chain rings, or a new front derailleur as well?<br /><br />Might be easier to go for the 11/23, and put up with the pain up hills...

[quote author=Blimp link=board=20;threadid=2829;start=0#msg23976 date=1041634606]<br />I would prefer not to go for a triple ring at the front as people might laugh or throw rotten fruit at me.<br /><br />If I could get over the humiliation aspect, what equipment changes would be required? Just the chain rings, or a new front derailleur as well?<br /><br />Might be easier to go for the 11/23, and put up with the pain up hills...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />a 39x23 or 25 should be low enough for most hills you'll come across in australia

I must admit that at 78km/h I don't really care about much other than hanging on to the bar :eek:<br /><br />I currently on a 53/39 11-21. I'm planning on chaning to a 12-25 since I'm going to Spain to do some climbing. Any experience on sprinting with the 53/12? What do the pro's normally ride in a sprint?<br /><br />And a totally different question: There appears to be alot of guys from downunder in this forum. Is it an Australian forum?<br />

Hi Blimp, if you ask me, there`s not much to win if you can ride 78 with 52X12 and climb rather easely with 39X25.<br /><br />With standard shifters it is possible to place 53/39 at the front and 11/23 or 12/27 at the rearwheel.<br /><br />Going to a triple is not cheep. You have to change the complete cranckset and both shifters.<br /><br />I am changing my TREK, by mounting a tripleset this week. I will place 53/39/30 X 12/23. I climb rather well and am not afraid for rotten tomatoes. It is just that whit this setup, I never have to change gears anymore.

[quote author=Jalabert link=board=20;threadid=2829;start=0#msg24010 date=1041856460]<br />I'm planning on chaning to a 12-25 since I'm going to Spain to do some climbing. Any experience on sprinting with the 53/12? What do the pro's normally ride in a sprint?<br /><br />And a totally different question: There appears to be alot of guys from downunder in this forum. Is it an Australian forum?<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Last question first: i am no Aussie, but Dutch.<br /><br />Real pro's like Chippolini, Zabel, Mc Ewen and the real Jalabert in his early years (and you should know that Jaja!) are able to sprint on the 54X11. But they are realy strong, so &quot;Dont try this at home&quot; or you will blast your legs to hell.<br />I know how to win a sprint, but I never remember on what gear. In the last 500 meters I just shift up 2 or 3 teeth and that does it normally. Long sprints go at 53X12, the speed has to be at least 62 km/hr, otherwise my legs explode and stop peddaling.

LEARN TO SPIN FASTER! Don't blow your knees out just so you don't have to work on your spin.

Yes, he was a sprinter. No, he did not use an 11. They did not make them at that time! <br /><br />FYI, Lemond sprinted to the '89 Worlds using a 53/12 and Sean Kelly used a 53/13.<br /><br />Most pros don't use an 11. Only some do and for special stages at that. <br /><br />11 teeth cogs have only been around as long as 8 or 9 speed cassettes have.

well 11 cogs are around for longer than 8 or 9 speed casettes. I believe oscar Egg even broke the world hour record with a 7 cog in pre WWII times. Its true that later on bigger front cogs (re)appeared and the use of 7,9 or 11 cogs as good as disappeared. Now still an 11 is a big gear when used in combination with a 53 or 54. Its actually used quite often as its useful for sprinting or when racing is really on on sligthly downhill stretches or with a nice tail wind. On flat Stretches with no wind they are also used sometims but not that often.<br /><br />For recreational cyclists 54x11 and 53x11 are seldom usefull.

I'm looking at getting a 54 as I run out of gears before I run out of power. (On a sprint that is. I currently only have a 52/42 front set and a 23/11 rear set but can manage 80km/h sprints on my strong days. Have only managed 76km/h in the 12 cog though. (well 82 once in my 12 but that was at the end of a hectic downhill in a last 300m sprint at 197bpm, so it doesn't count.)<br /><br />It is a standing joke at our club that I don't ever use my small chainring.

Lab rat,<br />Sprinting 80km/h are you serious??<br />Many Giro, Tour Vuelta bunch sprints are won on lower speeds. Or is there a trick here? How much % downhill slope, how much Tailwind?

On the downhill sprint, the road flattens out a bit but is still (I would guess) around 6-7 degrees. It is also after a good downhill stretch so when you hit the bottom you're doing 70 odd km/h anyway and you just need some serious leg speed to push it over 80. I don' t recall there being any wind. It was literally a 1 minute, max-out, balls to the wall effort off an already fast pace. I can't take credit for it, but I did pull about 10m on the guys who were racing me down the hill, so I wasn't just the decline and the wind. <br /><br />The other time, on the flat, I was trying to get into the draft of a car but it was about 15m in front of me, so I gave it everything I had. Didn't manage to close the gap to much closer than 10m, and when we finished the ride, my max speed was 80. I actually didn't realise it on the bike, it was just one of those really good days, where your legs feel like they're floating. Not a speed I expect to get to in a flat sprint too often I would imagine. (Unless I get my 54 that is, I hope)

[quote author=maarten link=board=20;threadid=2829;start=0#msg24158 date=1042312122]<br />Lab rat,<br />Sprinting 80km/h are you serious??<br />Many Giro, Tour Vuelta bunch sprints are won on lower speeds. Or is there a trick here? How much % downhill slope, how much Tailwind?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I do a 50km circuit every Tuesday night, Wednesday morning, Thursday morning and night (intervals Tuesday morning, race Wednesday night). There are two spots where I sprint at max effort one is on a small hill I used to grovel up in the 39/23, last week I hit 55kph in the 53x13 cog ;) 50kph is pretty normal depending on wind/recovery etc... <br /><br />Another sport I wind is up over 300 maybe 400 meters often hit 60-65kph slight uphill, coming the other way you can do 70+ easy. I reckon with a few wheels to follow eg. race situation 80kph would be very doáble<br /><br />cheers!<br />

80 is certainly do able downhill but I was thinking of flat and maybe only a tail wind. 80 is around 145 rpm at 52x12 which ain't that much taking in consideration you're going downhill.<br /><br />

Everyone who thinks that he's able to sprint faster than 70 km/hr on a flat road is ready to become a pro or should consider to reset his computer from miles/hour to km/hour! ;)

veteraan, <br /><br />70 is possible with a nice leadout for guys not on pro level but though with fast legs.<br />I have a 16 year old in my team who manages 64km/u with his 50x16 gear.<br />Things like surface of the road(smoothness), freshness, leadout!!, gears and wheel can make a whole lot of difference.