What gives? 100th TdF or 90th????

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronde Chumpion, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. Hey,

    All the hoopla about the Tour and the 100th celebration. I just read somewhere that it is really
    only the 90th edition! Somebody dropped the ball on that one!

    Thanks, Ronde Chumpion

    just cancelled my trip to this 'special' race. I'll go in ten years for the real deal.

    Tags:

  2. G

    G Guest

    Its the centenary, no one said its the 100th.

    ronde chumpion <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey,
    >
    > All the hoopla about the Tour and the 100th celebration. I just read somewhere that it is really
    > only the 90th edition! Somebody dropped the ball on that one!
    >
    > Thanks, Ronde Chumpion
    >
    > just cancelled my trip to this 'special' race. I'll go in ten years for the real deal.

  3. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    think of it as the 100th aniversary of the first tour... not the 100th running.

    g wrote:

    > Its the centenary, no one said its the 100th.
    >
    > ronde chumpion <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Hey,
    >>
    >> All the hoopla about the Tour and the 100th celebration. I just read somewhere that it is really
    >> only the 90th edition! Somebody dropped the ball on that one!
    >>
    >>Thanks, Ronde Chumpion
    >>
    >> just cancelled my trip to this 'special' race. I'll go in ten years for the real deal.

  4. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > think of it as the 100th aniversary of the first tour... not the 100th running.
    >
    > g wrote:
    >
    > > Its the centenary, no one said its the 100th.
    > >
    > > ronde chumpion <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hey,
    > >>
    > >> All the hoopla about the Tour and the 100th celebration. I just read somewhere that it is
    > >> really only the 90th edition! Somebody dropped the ball on that one!
    > >>
    > >>Thanks, Ronde Chumpion
    > >>
    > >> just cancelled my trip to this 'special' race. I'll go in ten years for the real deal.

    Its the 2003 TDF, thats enough reason to get excite for me :)

    Stan Cox

  5. The first Tour was 100 years ago in 1903. This is also the 90th Tour since then. (There have been a
    few breaks during the wars.)

    "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey,
    >
    > All the hoopla about the Tour and the 100th celebration. I just read somewhere that it is really
    > only the 90th edition! Somebody dropped the ball on that one!
    >
    > Thanks, Ronde Chumpion
    >
    > just cancelled my trip to this 'special' race. I'll go in ten years for the real deal.

  6. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    > Hey,
    >
    > All the hoopla about the Tour and the 100th celebration. I just read somewhere that it is really
    > only the 90th edition! Somebody dropped the ball on that one!
    >
    > Thanks, Ronde Chumpion
    >
    > just cancelled my trip to this 'special' race. I'll go in ten years for the real deal.

    First edition was 100 years ago. Due to the WW's it's this years 90th edition of the tour.

  7. Daveg

    Daveg Guest

    "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > think of it as the 100th aniversary of the first tour... not the
    100th
    > > running.
    > >
    > > g wrote:
    > >
    > > > Its the centenary, no one said its the 100th.

    > Its the 2003 TDF, thats enough reason to get excite for me :)

    Exactement Stan! Every TDF is special,just make sure you "get there" one day. I was on the race for
    the 200 years celebration of the storming of the Bastille,Paris was fantastic that year but we were
    in Grenoble for Bastille day and that was special. 1990 I met Lemond(very briefly after the stage)on
    the Causse Noir climb in Provence,with an American journalist friend. 3 weeks of bliss ahead!

    --
    ATB-DaveG

  8. G

    G Guest

    So... what do you thing centenary means?