What got you in to cycling?

GaryBPT

Mar 7, 2013
I love cycling, I try and go out as often as possible! I'm new to the sport and I fancied trying my hand at completing the Helvellyn Triathlon last September after my second marathon, apparently it's one of the hardest triathlons in the world! I'd never done a triathlon before, and I didn't have a bike to do the cycle on, so I bought an old 80's Bettaglin racing bike off a friend of mine for £130 and started training on it. She's a tired old girl in serious need of some TLC but she got me round the tough course in one piece, and leading up to the event I slowly started to fall in love with being out on the country roads tanking some mileage and seeing views you wouldn't usually see. I appropriately named her Helvellyn post event to remind me of her achievements.

Since the triathlon I'm now looking to spend some cash on a decent bike that'll withstand the high mileage I'm going to be doing training for my big trip, but don't worry, I'm keeping Helvellyn, and going to restore her to her former glory /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

What got you in to cycling guys? Please share your stories...

My father's Oldsmobile.

Found out a 3' oak tree works better than disc brakes. Got into distance swimming as a recovery sport. Got bored. A friend loaned me a Schwinn Continental. Two months later we did a 210-mile weekend tour.

41 years later...

BTW, I have a 1990's Gardin (Canada) that was actually built by Battaglin. It was a good road racer.

Reactions: GaryBPT
It was the best way to get around when I was a child and I guess I never really grew up.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

It was the best way to get around when I was a child and I guess I never really grew up.
Same here. I went from BMX as a kid to mountain biking. I now ride mostly road and a little bit of trails. Funny story: I was a kid doing some small jumps over my grandma's raised garden. I thought I was hot stuff with my home made ramp and all. The grass was wet... I landed wrong causing the bike to slip out and come down on my thumb. I went into the house to tell my dad while holding back tears. He figured it was jammed, so he pulled my thumb to "pop it" into place. I started screaming, and we went to the E.R. The doctor pointed out on the x-ray where a crack in my thumb turned into a break when my dad pulled it. Thanks Dad! My thumb is still crooked to this day.

Reactions: GaryBPT
I'd always been into running; primarily to maintain fitness and burn off stress. Did a couple marathons as a younger man, and continued to run over the years as an easy way to fit a good workout into a busy life schedule. Long distance running was a natural for me; I love the cardio workouts, and the challenges of pushing my own endurance/stamina.

Due to some back issues about 6 years ago, I began to look for alternate ways to stay fit. My neighbors at the time (on both sides) were into road cycling, and would often head out on long group rides during summer weekends. Eyeing the lycra-clad groups zooming past our house in the mornings, I often wondered how well my running background would translate into cycling. Eventually I took the plunge by purchasing a closeout model aluminum roadie with entry-level components. One of my neighbors (a close friend now) openly stated his concerns about me being able to keep up with the group, as a newbie to road cycling.

That was never even remotely an issue. As we all know, it's definitely "NOT about the bike," as long as you're fitted well. I began to enjoy cycling so much that I'd ride whenever possible, in all kinds of weather. To me, cycling is similar to running in many ways except I can push out the same amount of power that I would during a hard run-- while going 3x faster and about 10x further-- with no impact on my joints, etc.

Originally Posted by Dansky .
That was never even remotely an issue. As we all know, it's definitely "NOT about the bike," as long as you're fitted well. I began to enjoy cycling so much that I'd ride whenever possible, in all kinds of weather. To me, cycling is similar to running in many ways except I can push out the same amount of power that I would during a hard run-- while going 3x faster and about 10x further-- with no impact on my joints, etc.
Couldn't agree more. When I rocked up at the triathlon with an oldskool bike that was very basic, I received a fair few funny looks from the athletes who had all the best and most expensive kit. It was a very satisfying feeling when I was blitzing past them on the downhill! :)

What seems like 40 years ago when I was delivering papers by bike, I got passed on a Sunday morning by 100 plus cyclists, I knew I had to be part of that regime, it's the toughest sport I have ever done, all weathers, mountains and flat, highs. And lows I've loved every second.