What happened to Cadel Evans?

greg52

Jul 26, 2007
I didn't see the stage today- did he crash or something? Right now he is in 30th place and over 40 minutes behind Contador. I thought he was near the top of the standings last week? What the hell?

Once riders are out of contention for the GC they don't care about the overall time and pace themselves.

On the wider question of why he failed this year, my theory is Evans knew he had to try something different this if he was going to be on contention, so gambled on a different pre race training strategy. In his performance at the Dauphiné before the Tour he was attacking like crazy, totally different to his normal style, so he was obviously trying out some new strategy. Unfortunately it's all backfired in his face.

Let's be honest, Evans was never a real contender. He's a top 5-10 rider at best. Sure he's ridden into 2nd in the Tour twice now. Kudos to that. But the first time was from wheel sucking and having his direct competitor being kicked out of the race. The second time was when the best riders in the game were not invited. Same with Sastre, kudos to the Tour win in '08 but nobody will remember him as a great Tour champion, as shown by the lack of "respect" by the press and public leading up to this year's Tour. Just like nobody will seriously consider Pereiro a Tour champion or a real contender.

Just wait until next year with Basso coming back. Liquigas could start the season with Basso, Nibali, Pelizotti, Kruez. LA forming RadioShack, Vino coming back to Astana, who knows where AC is going to end up, the Schlecks and Saxo!!!!!!! Wiggins at Garmin.
Look out for Liquigas next year, they could be a very strong team.

Evans is going to be an after thought.

Tech72 said:
But the first time was from wheel sucking and having his direct competitor being kicked out of the race.

This year Contador wouldn't have spent any more than a few KM not "wheel sucking".

thebluetrain said:
Evans is going to be an after thought.

I absolutely agree!

Well, Cadel's still got his stuffed lion from last year, and no one can take that away!!

For Cadel, this years TDF has been a disappointment for sure.

I always felt that this years TDF was going to be a struggle given the strength of his team vis-a-vis the other main contenders but to finish 30th on GC is a shocking result for a rider of his calibre.

If he still harbours amobitions to win a grand tour, he needs to get to a team which has better support.

I wouldn't right his season off just yet - there is always the Vuelta.

If Contador doesn't go to Caisse then Cadel should consider that move! Strong team. They just need a solid leader.

Grater said:
If Contador doesn't go to Caisse then Cadel should consider that move! Strong team. They just need a solid leader.

Caisse would certainly be a team that has a strong GT squad and with Valverde, lets say being indisposed, they might look at a team leader like Evans.

Rumour has it that Caisse are courting Contador at present.

but with caisse already grooming sanchez and the closeness in years with contador, too many roosters?

just shooting in the dark, but given that a despondent evans wouldn't talk to teammates in the latter stages of the tdf, i'm thinking like the others around here that he will finally get off that team. now for the strange thought-jump to saxo? gives saxo two maybe three solid contenders for all the grand tours and gives riis some room to play tactics against bruyneel when the tdf comes around.

slovakguy said:
but with caisse already grooming sanchez and the closeness in years with contador, too many roosters?

just shooting in the dark, but given that a despondent evans wouldn't talk to teammates in the latter stages of the tdf, i'm thinking like the others around here that he will finally get off that team. now for the strange thought-jump to saxo? gives saxo two maybe three solid contenders for all the grand tours and gives riis some room to play tactics against bruyneel when the tdf comes around.

Saxo?
Do Saxo need another GT contender/rider, to add to the Schlecks?
Evans might be a good fit but how would the Schlecks, for example, react?

Either way, Evans has to get away from LOTTO.

Reports that he wasn't speakking to the rest of the team, reminds me of how it all ended for Evans at Telekom.
He ended up being not on speaking terms with his team mates and manager there as well.

maybe an Italian team might suit - given his wife is Italian, I think.

As much as I hate to say it I think he should follow Gerrans to Armstrong.

Its time to give up GC aspirations and to ride for someone else.

Having said that I doubt Armstrong would take him.

I think he can rebuild his image riding tempo for 'the man on the juice'. He will also expand his general appeal to the US cycling market. This adds value to his business post cycling.

Contador will be mad not to go to Caisse. Look at the team.

Contador and his domestiques: Alejandro Valverde, Luis Leon Sanchez, Rigoberto Uran, Jose Ivan Gutierrez, Oscar Pereiro, David Arroyo and two riders Contador brings with him or David Lopez! - That's a very strong team. They might also look at Sammy Sanchez. He's not a Grand Tour hope but would be an excellent Domestique. Caisse would **** on everyone with that team. That's off topic! Back to Evans!

If Caisse don't get Contador, they should look at Evans and Perhaps Sanchez with him. Evans would need to bring someone strong over with him. We all know Valverde won't win a GT, he doesn't have what it takes IMO.

Euskaltel is also an option for Evans! They need a GC rider! But I suppose they want stage wins more than a GC Contender!

caisse's sanchez has gt aspirations of his own which would conflict mightily with contador's career path. i'd figure if c-d-e grabs contador, then sanchez bolts. as far as a bolt from the blue idea, skytv will be looking to make a big name splash for their team and they have deep pockets.

as for evans and euski? shouldn't happen unless euski decides to break faith and take a rider with no affiliation to their basque riding heritage.

steve said:
This year Contador wouldn't have spent any more than a few KM not "wheel sucking".
I absolutely agree!

Yep...apparently its a fair tactic these days in Astana..

Evans' best chance to win the tour was 2008. When Schleck was still being developed and Contador was not riding. No way he will be able to win the TDF with the recent crop of young fine cannibals out here. He just doesn't have it.

Grater said:
Euskaltel is also an option for Evans! They need a GC rider! But I suppose they want stage wins more than a GC Contender!
What slovak said - I don't see Euski taking a non-Basque.

Which is a shame, because they had a damn solid tour with no GC contender. Having Evans/Astarloza to choose between would be a luxury, and raise their profile a smidge.