What happened to KETO low carb products?

Roger Zoul

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
:: Have Keto products (shakes, bars, etc.) gone the way of Atkins
:: products? I can't find them anywhere.

I think so....you can find them on closeout, iirc.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> Have Keto products (shakes, bars, etc.) gone the way of Atkins
> products? I can't find them anywhere.
>
> jas3777

They went the way of the dinosaur...

Overpriced and undermarketed.

<sigh>
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

FOB

Guest
Keto went out of business about a year ago, a victim of over enthusiastic
expansion during the low carb craze. Two of its executives now run Dyna
Pure but I see nothing on that site that indicates they are going to produce
products similar to Keto's former line. Indeed, the products on the site
look like another rip-off diet supplement.

In news:[email protected],
Scionyx <[email protected]> stated
| Looks like they are being reborn as Dyna Pure Nutrition. The website
| contains the story of what happened to KETO...
| http://www.dynapurenutrition.com
|
| -not affiliated
|
| Steve
|
| <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]
|| Have Keto products (shakes, bars, etc.) gone the way of Atkins
|| products? I can't find them anywhere.
|| jas3777

JC Der Koenig

Guest
Shakes and bars are how you got fat in the first place.

--
You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Have Keto products (shakes, bars, etc.) gone the way of Atkins
> products? I can't find them anywhere.
>
> jas3777

A.D.C.

Guest
i miss their ketocrumbs..made a good binder for meatloaf and a coating for
catfish.
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Have Keto products (shakes, bars, etc.) gone the way of Atkins
> products? I can't find them anywhere.
>
> jas3777

Scionyx

Guest
I didn't study the products in detail, but though the Warp-9 shakes would be
similar to the old KETO shakes. I have no idea about the comparison or
number of flavors, etc.

One of the 'executives', Pete Maletto, is credited with formulating over 200
of the KETO products.

Other than that, I make no claims, just answering "where they went."

:)

Steve

"FOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Keto went out of business about a year ago, a victim of over enthusiastic
> expansion during the low carb craze. Two of its executives now run Dyna
> Pure but I see nothing on that site that indicates they are going to
> produce
> products similar to Keto's former line. Indeed, the products on the site
> look like another rip-off diet supplement.
>
> In news:[email protected],
> Scionyx <[email protected]> stated
> | Looks like they are being reborn as Dyna Pure Nutrition. The website
> | contains the story of what happened to KETO...
> | http://www.dynapurenutrition.com
> |
> | -not affiliated
> |
> | Steve
> |
> | <[email protected]> wrote in message
> | news:[email protected]
> || Have Keto products (shakes, bars, etc.) gone the way of Atkins
> || products? I can't find them anywhere.
> || jas3777

Hannah Gruen

Guest
"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> :> http://www.dynapurenutrition.com/keto.html
>
> Thanks for posting this link....I gave up looking.

Ditto from me. It was interesting. It wasn't just a problem with waning of
interest in lc, then. Although that played a part.

I was just looking at a recipe yesterday in Cottage Living, wishing I had
some of those Keto crumbs. Well, that's one of the easier products to
duplicate, just one more step.

HG

Hannah Gruen wrote:
> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:11os12jdoamb8c0[email protected]
>
> > :> http://www.dynapurenutrition.com/keto.html
> >
> > Thanks for posting this link....I gave up looking.

> Ditto from me. It was interesting. It wasn't just a problem with waning of
> interest in lc, then. Although that played a part.

It's an interesting story, this tale of fractured relationships and
curious management decisions.

I don't think the move to mass was the big mistake here. If the LC
bubble turned out to be real, you have to be in the supermarket or you
will have to find a better way to niche produce. But with 200 products,
I don't think you're looking at a niche type of company. From the
telling, they blew it on expanding too fast (Building leases, poor
structure, bad expense management, etc).

The big question, going forward, is this: Who owns all the
formulations? If you think that the decline in LC interest is a
temporary correction before a big J curve, you'd want them. I'm sure
the new company would like them and could reform them (since the
creative guy is there), but if Keto is in bankruptcy, has cash flow
problems, but is still a concern, at least on paper, they probably own
the formulations, leaving customers the poorer.

FWIW, I think LC will be back en masse in the next 5-10 years.
Something that works that well cannot help but find some entrepreneurs
who will take em to market. I dunno that I'd go to town with the
dynapure folks, since they started life as a MLM company and they ran
Keto with so much vision and good business sense, but there is money to
be made and the market abhors a vaccuum.

-Hollywood, MBA

Hannah Gruen wrote:
> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> > :> http://www.dynapurenutrition.com/keto.html
> >
> > Thanks for posting this link....I gave up looking.

> Ditto from me. It was interesting. It wasn't just a problem with waning of
> interest in lc, then. Although that played a part.

It's an interesting story, this tale of fractured relationships and
curious management decisions.

I don't think the move to mass was the big mistake here. If the LC
bubble turned out to be real, you have to be in the supermarket or you
will have to find a better way to niche produce. But with 200 products,
I don't think you're looking at a niche type of company. From the
telling, they blew it on expanding too fast (Building leases, poor
structure, bad expense management, etc).

The big question, going forward, is this: Who owns all the
formulations? If you think that the decline in LC interest is a
temporary correction before a big J curve, you'd want them. I'm sure
the new company would like them and could reform them (since the
creative guy is there), but if Keto is in bankruptcy, has cash flow
problems, but is still a concern, at least on paper, they probably own
the formulations, leaving customers the poorer.

FWIW, I think LC will be back en masse in the next 5-10 years.
Something that works that well cannot help but find some entrepreneurs
who will take em to market. I dunno that I'd go to town with the
dynapure folks, since they started life as a MLM company and they ran
Keto with so much vision and good business sense, but there is money to
be made and the market abhors a vaccuum.

-Hollywood, MBA

Hannah Gruen

Guest
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> FWIW, I think LC will be back en masse in the next 5-10 years.
> Something that works that well cannot help but find some entrepreneurs
> who will take em to market. I dunno that I'd go to town with the
> dynapure folks, since they started life as a MLM company and they ran
> Keto with so much vision and good business sense, but there is money to
> be made and the market abhors a vaccuum.

Interesting, Max. I'd say I doubt that it will, at least not that soon, but
that would be just a hunch. At least not ketogenic level lc. However, I
agree with you to the extent that just like after the '70s Atkins craze
bottomed out, a lot of current low carbers are going to continue on,
providing a niche for reduced carb products. Also, something that wasn't
present in the '70's, today's aging, diabetes-plagued population, is going
to need to at least cut sugars and starches whether or not they "low carb."

I guess what I think is going to happen is that there will continue to be a
smallish market for these products. I regularly shop at a supermarket that
gets a lot of senior citizens, and although some of the lc products have
gone away, there are still a fair amount remaining on the shelves.
Dreamfields pasta, for one - 3 different shapes.

I'm no marketing expert, but my guess is that this kind of market is going
to be most profitably served by the same kind of companies that were around
before Atkins Reloaded came along. Namely, small firms that sell mostly to
health food stores and/or by mail order, with some grocery outlets where
interest is strongest, which tends to be in places like Florida where there
is a relatively large elderly population. I remember back pre-Atkins2, when
this ng was new, and people in some parts of Florida could buy lc bakery
items and frozen desserts locally that were unavailable in most of the rest
of the country. I think Expert Foods is still doing OK, still a small niche
marketer, mostly internet sales (?), for instance, and they will likely
continue to do so bar mismanagement.

That's my guess, anyhow.

HG

I'll give you my reasoning, and you can agree or disagree.
The main reason I think it will come back within 10 years (so I guess
that's big by 2014), is that rends in dieting are advancing at a faster
rate. If you look at waves of LC, you have the 1900 growth, you have
the 70's spurt and the late early 2000 growth. Everything else is
accelerating, trend wise, and with a faster media (not necessarily a
better one), more outlets, and wider distribution for knowledge, it
seems that something as efficacious as LC will be back sooner rather
than later. Almost definitely by 2020, but I think sooner than that.

Diet fashions, like everything else in knowledge and trends, work on a
pattern like a network externality. A classic example is the format of
stuff in a record store or at Blockbuster. When BB started, it was all
VHS, no laser disc, and no DVD (due to lack of invention). Why? Because
everyone had VHS, a few folks (but not enough) had Laser, and no one
had DVD. Eventually, DVD comes along. It takes a while for BB to invest
in DVD. Part of that is a lack of titles, but a larger part was lack of
installed players. Eventually a critical mass of customers get players,
BB puts in a DVD section. As time goes by, and DVD moves beyond early
adapters and tech friendlies, the DVD section grows. Now, when my
in-laws have a DVD player, my local BB has a small VHS section, and
almost everything else is DVD. When the next thing comes along, we will
see the same progression.

How does this relate back to diets and information? There are a ton of
"installed bases" that work for diets. The medical community is one. I
started LC because my best friend, a doctor, suggested it. The younger
docs coming up are more LC friendly, as it is closer to establishment
science while they are in med school. As the installed base of LC
friendly docs increases, more people do LC. The more people, the
greater the demand for products. And then it moves to mass, like we saw
in 2003. I think it was early at that time. The mass CP companies were
cost-benefiting a paradigm shift and so they jumped in. The companies
like Keto had first mover advantage, but only if they moved. It was
early, but I think only by 10 years, as the science moves faster and
more studies support LC. The big thing from the 2005 shakeout is this:
the big CP companies didn't bet the farm on LC, so they will be back.
Maybe they withdraw a product now, but it's still in the library of
stuff they own, so it can come back when the time is right. The niche
companies, like KETO, did bet the farm, and so whether they will be
ready or able to meet the next opportunity is in doubt. If I had the
$$'s and the drive to be an entrepreneur, I'd look into buying the KETO
library and bringing it to market. Maybe some of my B-school friends
are looking for a venture. I dunno.

Niche only takes you so far, and when the mass market moves in, you
have to adapt. LC luxury is maybe one way to go when the mass comes in.
But you have to do something to justify the higher prices and lower
availability that being internet only/health food stores entail. Expert
Foods is a great example. They offer stuff that you really cannot
easily duplicate with mass products. They will survive, until everyone
quits LC. Since LC works, I don't see that.

-Hollywood, who will admit to being a top line consultant rather than a
bottom liner, which entails certain views about how full the glass is.

Hannah Gruen wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> > FWIW, I think LC will be back en masse in the next 5-10 years.
> > Something that works that well cannot help but find some entrepreneurs
> > who will take em to market. I dunno that I'd go to town with the
> > dynapure folks, since they started life as a MLM company and they ran
> > Keto with so much vision and good business sense, but there is money to
> > be made and the market abhors a vaccuum.

> Interesting, Max. I'd say I doubt that it will, at least not that soon, but
> that would be just a hunch. At least not ketogenic level lc. However, I
> agree with you to the extent that just like after the '70s Atkins craze
> bottomed out, a lot of current low carbers are going to continue on,
> providing a niche for reduced carb products. Also, something that wasn't
> present in the '70's, today's aging, diabetes-plagued population, is going
> to need to at least cut sugars and starches whether or not they "low carb."
>
> I guess what I think is going to happen is that there will continue to be a
> smallish market for these products. I regularly shop at a supermarket that
> gets a lot of senior citizens, and although some of the lc products have
> gone away, there are still a fair amount remaining on the shelves.
> Dreamfields pasta, for one - 3 different shapes.
>
> I'm no marketing expert, but my guess is that this kind of market is going
> to be most profitably served by the same kind of companies that were around
> before Atkins Reloaded came along. Namely, small firms that sell mostly to
> health food stores and/or by mail order, with some grocery outlets where
> interest is strongest, which tends to be in places like Florida where there
> is a relatively large elderly population. I remember back pre-Atkins2, when
> this ng was new, and people in some parts of Florida could buy lc bakery
> items and frozen desserts locally that were unavailable in most of the rest
> of the country. I think Expert Foods is still doing OK, still a small niche
> marketer, mostly internet sales (?), for instance, and they will likely
> continue to do so bar mismanagement.
>
> That's my guess, anyhow.
>
> HG

Hannah Gruen

Guest
Max, you may well be right. There are a lot of competing interests, so to
speak, and who knows what will win out. I like your point about younger
doctors being more lc-friendly. But I get the sense that there is a lot of
media push to get the general population on a largely carb diet. Cheaper and
more profit? Fears that that is the only kind of diet that will sustain a
burgeoning world population? Heavy consumption of animal foods once again
seems "politically incorrect" these days, from what you see/hear in many
media outlets.

Countering all that is the fact that an aging population just can't continue
its high-carb & high calorie ways without a real health crisis looming on
the horizon.

However, it's not clear to me that most people make diet decisions based on
objective data, but rather on what's in fashion and being touted in the
media and to a lesser extent what is being recommended by their health care
provider. So my guess is that the outcome is going to be based largely on
what the media does, and I'm certainly not clear on why they do what they
do.

HG

> [...]
> ready or able to meet the next opportunity is in doubt. If I had the
> $$'s and the drive to be an entrepreneur, I'd look into buying the KETO
> library and bringing it to market. Maybe some of my B-school friends
> are looking for a venture. I dunno.
>
> Niche only takes you so far, and when the mass market moves in, you
> have to adapt. LC luxury is maybe one way to go when the mass comes in.
> But you have to do something to justify the higher prices and lower
> availability that being internet only/health food stores entail. Expert
> Foods is a great example. They offer stuff that you really cannot
> easily duplicate with mass products. They will survive, until everyone
> quits LC. Since LC works, I don't see that.
>
> -Hollywood, who will admit to being a top line consultant rather than a
> bottom liner, which entails certain views about how full the glass is.

I think the media just pushes what they get from the medical establishment.
They listen to dieticians who are almost all still low fat pushers. They
take the PCRM seriously and do lots of promos for them. The media is all
too happy to have a nice ready made story plop into their lazy laps. Makes
it easy for those pushing a point of view to get air time. The PCRM gives
awards to schools serving their version of healthy lunches. One of our
stations has a weekly segment on their news with Florine Mark of Weight
Watchers--she's a local minor celeb.

Actually, I think the recent low carb frenzy hurt the low carb cause.
Because so many latched onto it without actually understanding it and doing
it correctly, a lot of people got a bad impression of low carb in general.
I think the medical community will gradually come to view low carb as a
positive thing because the research that supports it is showing up, but it
will take a long time, several years at least.

In news:[email protected],
Hannah Gruen <[email protected]> stated