What happened to Tyler Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclist14

Oct 13, 2004
What happened, is Tyler still banned for two years?

I hope not, all of us can be inspired by his 54 mile breakaway with a broken collarbone.

Cyclist14 said:

I hope not, all of us can be inspired by his 54 mile breakaway with a broken collarbone.

There is a hearing on 1/25. He hasn't been banned for two years yet, but that is a sanction he likely would face if he loses.

At his age, a 2 year ban would be carreer ending.
He is pretty much under a defacto ban now anyway even if he wins. No team would pick him up else they'd be subjet to the wrath of UCI.

Yes I agree it was hard not to like admire Tyler after the courage he has shown, and not just on that tour you mentioned. He has had some bad luck. I must say however that he has made more than a few errors with his bike control.

If he is really guilty of blood doping, that will certainly tarnish my view of him, even if many others are doing similar things.
I am getting a very bad impression of this modern cycling. I can't help but wonder if what is separating placements at races is better team technology in avoiding anti-doping tests. Certainly I appreciate the science of nutrition in performance and recovery. But the use of artificial enhancers has put a terrible stain on cycling and other sports.
Cyclist14 said:

It's now january 25th- any documentation as when and where his hearing was? Nothing has been heard about Tyler? A quick google and yahoo news search turns up nothing. His team or former team is doing all it can to distance itself from any hint of doping- sacking directors so it can potentialy get into the Tour de France. Teams and riders are gearing up for the season. Doesn't look promising for Tyler..

I have not heard about Tyler's 1/25 date but I did see him on the Weather Channel on TV giving a ski report. He started his cycling career as a result of a ski accident and rehab. Maybe he will not be reduced to a tv talking head.

Jerry

Powerful Pete said:
Does anyone have any news what has happened?
Haven't heard a word. It looks like his team is moving foward and trying to seperate themselves from him and any connection last year (three doping cases with Phonak riders).
Santi Perez appears to be headed for a two year ban http://www.as.com/articulo.html?xref=20050125dasdaimas_1&type=Tes&d_date=20050125&anchor=dasmas

Although the exact details of the test have not been released ( a feasability study was published in hematologica)- comments I have seen from WADA seem to suggest that they feel confident in the test and know that any test has to face scrutiny and potential legal challenges. UCI has also said they warned Phonak about flucuations in Tylers Blood values during the dauphine and tour of romandie.
I find it interesting that no info has come out period.
I suspect all this does not bode well for Tyler.

Perro Loco said:
UCI has also said they warned Phonak about flucuations in Tylers Blood values during the dauphine and tour of romandie.
I find it interesting that no info has come out period.
I suspect all this does not bode well for Tyler.

Thanks for the update. I had not heard about that little ' fluctuation ' thing you mention.
Hhhhm. My money is on his career ending rather sooner than expected.

Powerful Pete said:
Thanks for the update. I had not heard about that little ' fluctuation ' thing you mention.
Hhhhm. My money is on his career ending rather sooner than expected.
Since I don't want to be known as spreading rumours

as reported in cycling4all
According to L'Equipe Tyler Hamilton (Usa) = Phonak was already warned ("yellow card") by the Medical Committee of the UCI after his final victory in the Tour de Romadie. They told him already about "strange fluctuations" in his blood-values.
Here is something from the UCI
http://www.dailypeloton.com/uci_phonak_protourdecision.htm
about halfway down they talk about warning Phonak.
This is also mention of this in several other articles including an interview with **** pound in velonews.
I have never seen any details about this other than the UCI verified it warned Phonak and have never heard a response from Hamilton or Phonak.
Prior to this I was willing to give tyler the benefit of the doubt, new test ....
but unfortunately I think he may have been caught or else he must have one hell of an explanation.

Perro Loco said:

This is also mention of this in several other articles including an interview with **** pound in velonews.
I have never seen any details about this other than the UCI verified it warned Phonak and have never heard a response from Hamilton or Phonak.
Prior to this I was willing to give tyler the benefit of the doubt, new test ....
but unfortunately I think he may have been caught or else he must have one hell of an explanation.

The only thing I can think of is that Tyler must be really stupid or really honest. Go figure, he and his team were already warned about fluctuations in his blood tests. So at that point if you are doing something wrong, you are close to getting caught and you stop, unless you are really dumb.

I wonder what parameters they were referring to that fluctuated? No details anywhere. Only a few days left in January when his appeal happens with the big boys.

I just read the dossier and all I can say is wow. No wonder they were testing the Phonak riders during the Olympics and Vuelta. They already had shown irregularities that surely put Phonak riders under suspicion. Thanks for the link Perro Loco

Perro Loco said:

My guess would be fluctuations in HCT levels.

hombredesubaru said:
The only thing I can think of is that Tyler must be really stupid or really honest. Go figure, he and his team were already warned about fluctuations in his blood tests. So at that point if you are doing something wrong, you are close to getting caught and you stop, unless you are really dumb.

I wonder what parameters they were referring to that fluctuated? No details anywhere. Only a few days left in January when his appeal happens with the big boys.

You are welcome for the link. most likely flucuations in hematocrit, also variations in size of red cells and reticulocytes (young red cells) though these would be more suggestive of Epo or altitude.
This has been an overlooked part of the whole story.
I oftened wondered if the UCI kept an eye on people who showed fluctuations in their blood counts and targeted those people for more frequent tests or more out of competition tests.
I remember reading the TdF testers became suspicious of Rumsas when his hematocrit rose during the 2002 TdF from 46% start to 48% near the end.
(hematocrits without use of exogenous Erythropoietin decline during stage races due to plasma volume expansion). I always wondered if they tipped off the border patrol to search his wife car. Probably not, but the Hamilton Case and and an article I read recently in confirms the UCI is using longitudinal data to target individuals.
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/s1054499.htm

Perro Loco said:
You are welcome for the link. most likely flucuations in hematocrit, also variations in size of red cells and reticulocytes (young red cells) though these would be more suggestive of Epo or altitude.
This has been an overlooked part of the whole story.
I oftened wondered if the UCI kept an eye on people who showed fluctuations in their blood counts and targeted those people for more frequent tests or more out of competition tests.
I remember reading the TdF testers became suspicious of Rumsas when his hematocrit rose during the 2002 TdF from 46% start to 48% near the end.
(hematocrits without use of exogenous Erythropoietin decline during stage races due to plasma volume expansion). I always wondered if they tipped off the border patrol to search his wife car. Probably not, but the Hamilton Case and and an article I read recently in confirms the UCI is using longitudinal data to target individuals.
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/s1054499.htm

All the Olympic TT medalists were tested. Hamilton was probably targetted at Vuelta per the A positive from Athens. Perez didn't fail a test at Vuelta, even with his performance, yet Perez failed an out of competition test only two weeks later, so it is likely he was targetted for an initial test after Hamilton's Vuelta test (and perhaps other Phonak riders were also targetted).

meb said:
All the Olympic TT medalists were tested. Hamilton was probably targetted at Vuelta per the A positive from Athens. Perez didn't fail a test at Vuelta, even with his performance, yet Perez failed an out of competition test only two weeks later, so it is likely he was targetted for an initial test after Hamilton's Vuelta test (and perhaps other Phonak riders were also targetted).
From what I have read you are correct.
From an interview with **** Pound in velonews he alludes to the fact that they told the UCI about hamilton and this resulted in the testing.
I suspect that this led to Santi Perez being tested.
It was really amazing that Santi Perez out of nowhere was blowing every away during the last few weeks at the Vuelta.

I really hope they clear Tyler. He does a lot for Multiple Sclerosis, and myself and 39 other riders will be riding through the Pyrenees in September with Tyler after we raise money for MS. It's called the MS Global.

It would be really sad if he got banned because he has truly inspired me and when I am going at it full force and i feel like I cant go on then I think of him.

giantOCR said:
I really hope they clear Tyler. He does a lot for Multiple Sclerosis, and myself and 39 other riders will be riding through the Pyrenees in September with Tyler after we raise money for MS. It's called the MS Global.
Hey that sounds plenty cool! What's on the 'menu' for the trip? I guess that means no Vuelta for Tyler in 2005 :D

Here is our route.

Day 1 (Monday, September 19) France

Arrive Toulouse Airport
Transfer to hotel in Foix
Short warm up ride around Foix
Mileage: 30 – 45km
Terrain: Flat to rolling

Day 2 (Tuesday, September 20) France

Foix to Ax les Thermes including Plateau de Bonascre and Ax 3 Domaine
Mileage: 65km (including 25km of Tour de France Stage 14)
Terrain: Mountains

Day 3 (Wednesday, September 21) France

Ax les Thermes to Quillan. Climb the Palhaires (2000m)and cycle through the Gorges de St. Georges
Mileage: 60km
Terrain: Mountains

Day 4 (Thursday, September 22) France

Quillan to Port Vendres along the Aude River
Mileage: 100km
Terrain: Rolling to flat

Day 5 (Friday, September 23) France/Spain

Port Vendres to Figueres, home of the Salvador Dali Museum
Mileage: 75km
Terrain: Rolling to flat

Day 6 (Saturday, September 24) Spain

Figueres – Besalu – Olot - Angles- Girona