What happened to Voodoo-Cycles

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Voodoo Owner, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. Voodoo Owner

    Voodoo Owner Guest

    I own a Voodoo_cycle. I recently noticed the company took down their website. Are they out
    of Business?

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Voodoo owner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I own a Voodoo_cycle. I recently noticed the company took down their website. Are they out of
    > Business?

    They are no longer producing bikes, which is a shame, but they didn't "go under" in the
    traditional we-have-no-more-money sense. As I understand it, another bike company - some cog in
    the large wheel of a huge conglomerate - decided they wanted to call a bike Voodoo, and wrote Joe
    Muray a hefty check for all rights to the name. Instead of reestablishing a frame company, Murray
    apparently gave it up.

    Voodoo bikes are great bikes. My father's $650 Hoodoo AL still ranks, in my opinion, as one of the
    best hardtail values I've ever seen.

    Also, the website has been down for over a year. If you are a big Voodoo fan, check these out - it's
    about all that's left:

    http://www.wowwebdesigns.com/designs/id_449/ http://www.cyclemotion.co.uk/bikes.html (UK
    distributor...last I checked, they still had some Voodo goodies available)
    http://www.wolfedoyle.com/creative_print/voodoo_cycles.html

    Chris

  5. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    > "Voodoo owner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I own a Voodoo_cycle. I recently noticed the company took down their website. Are they out of
    > > Business?
    >
    > They are no longer producing bikes, which is a shame,

    Interesting thing about "production" is that a company like Voodoo can produce bikes with out ever
    producing a frame. The early (non-powder coated) hardtails were produced in the Toyo factory (same
    place they tig up Ritchey's). The later hardtails were produced by Altitude Cycle Technologies (Jeff
    Lindsay), the Canzo's were produces by Tom Teesdale, and the ti production was done by A-Pro
    Titanium (the parent company to both Titec and Voodoo).

    > but they didn't "go under" in the traditional we-have-no-more-money sense. As I understand it,
    > another bike company - some cog in the large wheel of a huge conglomerate - decided they wanted to
    > call a bike Voodoo, and wrote Joe Murray a hefty check for all rights to the name.

    Joe Murray never owned the company or the name. For that matter, he was cut loose from the company
    before the last year of production. Joe Murray's input in Voodoo was as a designer. Similar to his
    work at Fisher and his time at Kona, he came up with base designs that were put into production by a
    larger parent company.

    In fact, it was Bontrager severing ties with Titec that formed the foundation of Voodoo. When
    Bontrager separated from Titec (This is about the time that Tom Morran left Bontrager and started
    heading up Titec), A-Pro (also maker of the A&A BMX Frames of the 70's and 80's) went looking for a
    "Name" designer. Joe Murray got the job. The Voodoo concept grew from Joe Murray's knowledge of
    design, and the parent company's desire to get into the mountain bike market.

    Voodoo opened its first "Headquarters" in the "Creamery Building" in downtown Palo Alto. This was
    just down the Street from Wheelsmith Inc. and Palo Alto Bicycles. The Head of Sales was Roark
    Schultz, and the "Cabin boy" (the character who turned Murray's designs into reality) was Eli Secor.
    Much of the "Sunk works" stuff was handled by Dan Diaz in Flagstaff.

    When Titec moved to new digs in San Jose, the facilities were designed to be large enough to house
    both Titec and Voodoo. Unfortunately the move also spelled the end of the original management team.
    Roark went to grad school (MBA), Eli went to GT, Flavia (top in sales) bought a farm in Northern
    California and moved there with her girlfriend, and Dan Diaz just got fired .... Last I heard he was
    still in Flag.

    Voodoo's parent company quickly ushered in a new management team, but Voodoo never got the market
    share that the parent company wanted. The warehouse space as well as the funding that created Voodoo
    was shifted to Titec. Titec had already become a major factor in the OE end of the industry.

    > Instead of reestablishing a frame company, Murray apparently gave it up.

    Joe Murray was the designer, he didn't own the company, nor did he own the name.

    Murray was at Interbike 2003 with a 1sp frame under the working name "Sublime". It is a very
    interesting design, but I haven't seen it in production anywhere.

    The sad part of Voodoo's demise is that it wasn't for lack of a great product, or for poor marketing
    .... Voodoo died because of some bean counter's vision of market share.

    Sorry if the story is over simplified, but I have to go ride.

    Regards

    Reco

    (I had to do something after the U.S. Government got done with me)

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Reco Diver" <[email protected]> slapped Chris down in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > snip > Sorry if the story is over simplified, but I have to go ride.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Reco

    Well, I'm glad I used the term "as I understand it" at least once, 'cause apparently all the info I
    had was b.s...thanks for filling me in.

    Chris

  7. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On 8 Apr 2003 16:32:45 -0700, Reco Diver <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Interesting thing about "production" is that a company like Voodoo can produce bikes with out ever
    > producing a frame. The early (non-powder coated) hardtails were produced in the Toyo factory (same
    > place they tig up Ritchey's). The later hardtails were produced by Altitude Cycle Technologies
    > (Jeff Lindsay), the Canzo's were produces by Tom Teesdale, and the ti production was done by A-Pro
    > Titanium (the parent company to both Titec and Voodoo).
    >

    > Regards
    >
    > Reco

    Altitude made frames for a lot of companies for a while, but i haven't heard much about them
    recently. I toured their shop in Chico and I have to admit I was impressed by their facilty, and by
    the product they turned out. Sadly, my Mountain Goat was among the last Lindsay planned on making,
    as the contract work was much more lucrative...

    Miles

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Voodoo owner) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I own a Voodoo_cycle. I recently noticed the company took down their website. Are they out of
    > Business?

    voodoo took a doodoo

    JD

  9. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  10. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    > [email protected] (Voodoo owner) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I own a Voodoo_cycle. I recently noticed the company took down their website. Are they out of
    > > Business?
    >
    > voodoo took a doodoo
    >
    > JD

    Funny think that,

    After Dan Diaz got fired, he was seen around Fagstaff riding pink 1sp proto-type voodoo (1997). He
    had changed the lettering to read "Doo doo".

    Reco

  11. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    > "Reco Diver" <[email protected]> slapped Chris down in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > snip > Sorry if the story is over simplified, but I have to go ride.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Reco
    >
    > Well, I'm glad I used the term "as I understand it" at least once, 'cause apparently all the info
    > I had was b.s...thanks for filling me in.
    >
    > Chris

    Just clearing the air ... There are always a lot of rumors when a company shuts down. Or someone big
    leaves a company. Just like when Murray left Fisher .... or left Kona.

    I did forget that the GM of Voodoo for the first three or for years was Gary Waterfield. Gary
    Waterfield came to Voodoo from Palo Alto Bicycles via Marin Mountain Bikes. Gary really deserves a
    nod for getting the company rolling, from the ~1994 (?) show to the 1997 run up. There is an
    uncaptioned pic of Roark abd Gary on the second to the last page of Voodoo's 1996 cat (the one that
    has the guy holding the giant fork on the fork page).

    Regards

    Reco

  12. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    > I did forget that the GM of Voodoo for the first three or for years was Gary Waterfield. Gary
    > Waterfield came to Voodoo from Palo Alto Bicycles via Marin Mountain Bikes. Gary really deserves a
    > nod for getting the company rolling, from the ~1994 (?) show to the 1997 run up. There is an
    > uncaptioned pic of Roark abd Gary on the second to the last page of Voodoo's 1996 cat (the one
    > that has the guy holding the giant fork on the fork page).
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Reco

    I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a hard
    time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after all, live
    in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:

    "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"

    To top it off? I hate Barry Manilow.

    Miles

  13. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
    > hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
    > all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
    >
    > "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"

    That would be Rico.... but I get your point. Funny thing about names, nicknames and sigs, they can
    mean so many things. Like Carla's "Can-am" or JD Juvenile Delinquent (kinda fittin' actually), or
    Rimmer .... I actually worked with an Lt named Richard Nibbler(parents can be cruel).

    > To top it off? I hate Barry Manilow.

    That simply suggests that you have taste.

    Recovery diving is more that a job, it's a life time of therapy .... physical and otherwise.

    RD (better?)

    Of course I see RD and I think RD 400 ... Rapid Death

  14. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
    > hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
    > all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
    >
    > "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"
    >
    > To top it off? I hate Barry Manilow.
    >

    > Miles

    How on God's green earth did you even know those lyrics??
    --
    Slacker

  15. Jd

    Jd Guest

    miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I did forget that the GM of Voodoo for the first three or for years was Gary Waterfield. Gary
    > > Waterfield came to Voodoo from Palo Alto Bicycles via Marin Mountain Bikes. Gary really deserves
    > > a nod for getting the company rolling, from the ~1994 (?) show to the 1997 run up. There is an
    > > uncaptioned pic of Roark abd Gary on the second to the last page of Voodoo's 1996 cat (the one
    > > that has the guy holding the giant fork on the fork page).
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Reco
    > >

    > I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
    > hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
    > all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
    >
    > "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"
    >
    > To top it off? I hate Barry Manilow.

    Barely Manhole is a boring turd, for sure. I'd rather listen to Bruise Springteen, though both of
    them are horrific in their own right.

    JD

  16. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Reco Diver wrote:
    > miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >

    >>I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
    >>hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
    >>all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
    >>
    >>"Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"
    >

    > That would be Rico....

    Well, miles has gone and done it because at no time in the past did Copa Cabana pop into my head
    seeing your nic. Now, well, now is another story. Damn you miles!

    Greg

  17. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On 10 Apr 2003 16:49:51 -0700, Reco Diver <[email protected]> wrote:

    > miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
    >> hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
    >> all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
    >>
    >> "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"
    >
    > That would be Rico.... but I get your point. Funny thing about names, nicknames and sigs, they can
    > mean so many things. Like Carla's "Can-am" or JD Juvenile Delinquent (kinda fittin' actually), or
    > Rimmer .... I actually worked with an Lt named Richard Nibbler(parents can be cruel).
    >

    >> To top it off? I hate Barry Manilow.
    >
    > That simply suggests that you have taste.
    >
    > Recovery diving is more that a job, it's a life time of therapy .... physical and otherwise.
    >
    > RD (better?)
    >
    > Of course I see RD and I think RD 400 ... Rapid Death

  18. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On 10 Apr 2003 16:49:51 -0700, Reco Diver <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Recovery diving is more that a job, it's a life time of therapy .... physical and otherwise.
    >
    > RD (better?)
    >
    > Of course I see RD and I think RD 400 ... Rapid Death

    I had an RD. It was a bit frightening, but not nearly as bad as the three Kawi two-stroke triples I
    had. They were amazingly fast, had amazingly bad handling, and amazingly ineffective brakes. A truly
    unfortunate combination. At least the Yamaha could corner, and stop when you wanted.

    Miles

  19. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:16:39 GMT, Slacker <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
    >> hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
    >> all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
    >>
    >> "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"
    >>
    >> To top it off? I hate Barry Manilow.
    >>

    >> Miles
    >

    > How on God's green earth did you even know those lyrics??
    > --
    > Slacker

    You know them, too. I'm just man enough to admit it. C'mon and sing along...

    Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to
    there She would merengue and do the cha-cha And while she tried to be a star, Tony always tended
    bar Across a crowded floor, they worked from 8 till 4 They were young and they had each other Who
    could ask for more? At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana (Copacabana) The hottest spot north of Havana
    (here) At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana Music and passion were always the fashion At the Copa....they
    fell in love (Copa Copacabana) His name was Rico, he wore a diamond He was escorted to his chair,
    he saw Lola dancin' there And when she finished, he called her over But Rico went a bit too far,
    Tony sailed across the bar And then the punches flew and chairs were smashed in two There was
    blood and a single gun shot But just who shot who? At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana (Copacabana) The
    hottest spot north of Havana (here) At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana Music and passion were always
    the fashion At the Copa....she lost her love (Copa Copacabana) (Copa Copacabana) (Copacabana,
    ahh... ahh... ahh... ahh) (Ahh... ahh... ahh... ahh... Copa Copacabana) (Talking Havana have a
    banana) (Music and passion... always the fash... shun) Her name is Lola, she was a showgirl But
    that was 30 years ago, when they used to have a show Now it's a disco, but not for Lola Still in
    the dress she used to wear, faded feathers in her hair She sits there so refined, and drinks
    herself half-blind She lost her youth and she lost her Tony Now she's lost her mind! At the Copa
    (CO!), Copacabana (Copacabana) The hottest spot north of Havana (here) At the Copa (CO!),
    Copacabana Music and passion were always the fashion At the Copa....don't fall in love (Copa)
    don't fall in love Copacabana Copacabana etc. to end

    All lyrics are property and copyright of their owners. All lyrics provided for educational
    purposes only.

    Ah, isn't the internet amazing. I plugged in "manilow copa lyrics", and Google gave it to me
    instantly.

    Miles

  20. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:52:12 GMT, G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Reco Diver wrote:
    >> miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >>

    >>> I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
    >>> hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
    >>> all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
    >>>
    >>> "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"
    >>

    >> That would be Rico....
    >
    > Well, miles has gone and done it because at no time in the past did Copa Cabana pop into my head
    > seeing your nic. Now, well, now is another story. Damn you miles!
    >
    > Greg

    Anything for you, Greg. You know I love you like my own brother. By the way, when are you going to
    be able to get down here to ride?

    Miles