What happened to Voodoo-Cycles

Voodoo Owner

Guest
I own a Voodoo_cycle. I recently noticed the company took down their website. Are they out
of Business?

"Voodoo owner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I own a Voodoo_cycle. I recently noticed the company took down their website. Are they out of
> Business?

They are no longer producing bikes, which is a shame, but they didn't "go under" in the
traditional we-have-no-more-money sense. As I understand it, another bike company - some cog in
the large wheel of a huge conglomerate - decided they wanted to call a bike Voodoo, and wrote Joe
Muray a hefty check for all rights to the name. Instead of reestablishing a frame company, Murray
apparently gave it up.

Voodoo bikes are great bikes. My father's $650 Hoodoo AL still ranks, in my opinion, as one of the
best hardtail values I've ever seen.

Also, the website has been down for over a year. If you are a big Voodoo fan, check these out - it's
about all that's left:

http://www.wowwebdesigns.com/designs/id_449/ http://www.cyclemotion.co.uk/bikes.html (UK
distributor...last I checked, they still had some Voodo goodies available)
http://www.wolfedoyle.com/creative_print/voodoo_cycles.html

Chris

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Voodoo owner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I own a Voodoo_cycle. I recently noticed the company took down their website. Are they out of
> > Business?
>
> They are no longer producing bikes, which is a shame,

Interesting thing about "production" is that a company like Voodoo can produce bikes with out ever
producing a frame. The early (non-powder coated) hardtails were produced in the Toyo factory (same
place they tig up Ritchey's). The later hardtails were produced by Altitude Cycle Technologies (Jeff
Lindsay), the Canzo's were produces by Tom Teesdale, and the ti production was done by A-Pro
Titanium (the parent company to both Titec and Voodoo).

> but they didn't "go under" in the traditional we-have-no-more-money sense. As I understand it,
> another bike company - some cog in the large wheel of a huge conglomerate - decided they wanted to
> call a bike Voodoo, and wrote Joe Murray a hefty check for all rights to the name.

Joe Murray never owned the company or the name. For that matter, he was cut loose from the company
before the last year of production. Joe Murray's input in Voodoo was as a designer. Similar to his
work at Fisher and his time at Kona, he came up with base designs that were put into production by a
larger parent company.

In fact, it was Bontrager severing ties with Titec that formed the foundation of Voodoo. When
Bontrager separated from Titec (This is about the time that Tom Morran left Bontrager and started
heading up Titec), A-Pro (also maker of the A&A BMX Frames of the 70's and 80's) went looking for a
"Name" designer. Joe Murray got the job. The Voodoo concept grew from Joe Murray's knowledge of
design, and the parent company's desire to get into the mountain bike market.

Voodoo opened its first "Headquarters" in the "Creamery Building" in downtown Palo Alto. This was
just down the Street from Wheelsmith Inc. and Palo Alto Bicycles. The Head of Sales was Roark
Schultz, and the "Cabin boy" (the character who turned Murray's designs into reality) was Eli Secor.
Much of the "Sunk works" stuff was handled by Dan Diaz in Flagstaff.

When Titec moved to new digs in San Jose, the facilities were designed to be large enough to house
both Titec and Voodoo. Unfortunately the move also spelled the end of the original management team.
Roark went to grad school (MBA), Eli went to GT, Flavia (top in sales) bought a farm in Northern
California and moved there with her girlfriend, and Dan Diaz just got fired .... Last I heard he was
still in Flag.

Voodoo's parent company quickly ushered in a new management team, but Voodoo never got the market
share that the parent company wanted. The warehouse space as well as the funding that created Voodoo
was shifted to Titec. Titec had already become a major factor in the OE end of the industry.

> Instead of reestablishing a frame company, Murray apparently gave it up.

Joe Murray was the designer, he didn't own the company, nor did he own the name.

Murray was at Interbike 2003 with a 1sp frame under the working name "Sublime". It is a very
interesting design, but I haven't seen it in production anywhere.

The sad part of Voodoo's demise is that it wasn't for lack of a great product, or for poor marketing
.... Voodoo died because of some bean counter's vision of market share.

Sorry if the story is over simplified, but I have to go ride.

Regards

Reco

(I had to do something after the U.S. Government got done with me)

"Reco Diver" <[email protected]> slapped Chris down in message
news:[email protected]...
> snip > Sorry if the story is over simplified, but I have to go ride.
>
> Regards
>
> Reco

Well, I'm glad I used the term "as I understand it" at least once, 'cause apparently all the info I
had was b.s...thanks for filling me in.

Chris

On 8 Apr 2003 16:32:45 -0700, Reco Diver <[email protected]> wrote:

> Interesting thing about "production" is that a company like Voodoo can produce bikes with out ever
> producing a frame. The early (non-powder coated) hardtails were produced in the Toyo factory (same
> place they tig up Ritchey's). The later hardtails were produced by Altitude Cycle Technologies
> (Jeff Lindsay), the Canzo's were produces by Tom Teesdale, and the ti production was done by A-Pro
> Titanium (the parent company to both Titec and Voodoo).
>

> Regards
>
> Reco

Altitude made frames for a lot of companies for a while, but i haven't heard much about them
recently. I toured their shop in Chico and I have to admit I was impressed by their facilty, and by
the product they turned out. Sadly, my Mountain Goat was among the last Lindsay planned on making,
as the contract work was much more lucrative...

Miles

> [email protected] (Voodoo owner) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I own a Voodoo_cycle. I recently noticed the company took down their website. Are they out of
> > Business?
>
> voodoo took a doodoo
>
> JD

Funny think that,

After Dan Diaz got fired, he was seen around Fagstaff riding pink 1sp proto-type voodoo (1997). He
had changed the lettering to read "Doo doo".

Reco

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Reco Diver" <[email protected]> slapped Chris down in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > snip > Sorry if the story is over simplified, but I have to go ride.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Reco
>
> Well, I'm glad I used the term "as I understand it" at least once, 'cause apparently all the info
> I had was b.s...thanks for filling me in.
>
> Chris

Just clearing the air ... There are always a lot of rumors when a company shuts down. Or someone big
leaves a company. Just like when Murray left Fisher .... or left Kona.

I did forget that the GM of Voodoo for the first three or for years was Gary Waterfield. Gary
Waterfield came to Voodoo from Palo Alto Bicycles via Marin Mountain Bikes. Gary really deserves a
nod for getting the company rolling, from the ~1994 (?) show to the 1997 run up. There is an
uncaptioned pic of Roark abd Gary on the second to the last page of Voodoo's 1996 cat (the one that
has the guy holding the giant fork on the fork page).

Regards

Reco

> I did forget that the GM of Voodoo for the first three or for years was Gary Waterfield. Gary
> Waterfield came to Voodoo from Palo Alto Bicycles via Marin Mountain Bikes. Gary really deserves a
> nod for getting the company rolling, from the ~1994 (?) show to the 1997 run up. There is an
> uncaptioned pic of Roark abd Gary on the second to the last page of Voodoo's 1996 cat (the one
> that has the guy holding the giant fork on the fork page).
>
> Regards
>
> Reco

I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a hard
time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after all, live
in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:

"Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"

To top it off? I hate Barry Manilow.

Miles

miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<oprne6czcglkb6ka@news-server>...

> I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
> hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
> all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
>
> "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"

That would be Rico.... but I get your point. Funny thing about names, nicknames and sigs, they can
mean so many things. Like Carla's "Can-am" or JD Juvenile Delinquent (kinda fittin' actually), or
Rimmer .... I actually worked with an Lt named Richard Nibbler(parents can be cruel).

> To top it off? I hate Barry Manilow.

That simply suggests that you have taste.

Recovery diving is more that a job, it's a life time of therapy .... physical and otherwise.

RD (better?)

Of course I see RD and I think RD 400 ... Rapid Death

> I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
> hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
> all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
>
> "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"
>
> To top it off? I hate Barry Manilow.
>

> Miles

How on God's green earth did you even know those lyrics??
--
Slacker

miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<oprne6czcglkb6ka@news-server>...
> > I did forget that the GM of Voodoo for the first three or for years was Gary Waterfield. Gary
> > Waterfield came to Voodoo from Palo Alto Bicycles via Marin Mountain Bikes. Gary really deserves
> > a nod for getting the company rolling, from the ~1994 (?) show to the 1997 run up. There is an
> > uncaptioned pic of Roark abd Gary on the second to the last page of Voodoo's 1996 cat (the one
> > that has the guy holding the giant fork on the fork page).
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Reco
> >

> I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
> hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
> all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
>
> "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"
>
> To top it off? I hate Barry Manilow.

Barely Manhole is a boring turd, for sure. I'd rather listen to Bruise Springteen, though both of
them are horrific in their own right.

JD

Reco Diver wrote:
> miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<oprne6czcglkb6ka@news-server>...
>

>>I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
>>hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
>>all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
>>
>>"Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"
>

> That would be Rico....

Well, miles has gone and done it because at no time in the past did Copa Cabana pop into my head
seeing your nic. Now, well, now is another story. Damn you miles!

Greg

On 10 Apr 2003 16:49:51 -0700, Reco Diver <[email protected]> wrote:

> miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<oprne6czcglkb6ka@news-server>...
>
>> I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
>> hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
>> all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
>>
>> "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"
>
> That would be Rico.... but I get your point. Funny thing about names, nicknames and sigs, they can
> mean so many things. Like Carla's "Can-am" or JD Juvenile Delinquent (kinda fittin' actually), or
> Rimmer .... I actually worked with an Lt named Richard Nibbler(parents can be cruel).
>

>> To top it off? I hate Barry Manilow.
>
> That simply suggests that you have taste.
>
> Recovery diving is more that a job, it's a life time of therapy .... physical and otherwise.
>
> RD (better?)
>
> Of course I see RD and I think RD 400 ... Rapid Death

On 10 Apr 2003 16:49:51 -0700, Reco Diver <[email protected]> wrote:

> Recovery diving is more that a job, it's a life time of therapy .... physical and otherwise.
>
> RD (better?)
>
> Of course I see RD and I think RD 400 ... Rapid Death

I had an RD. It was a bit frightening, but not nearly as bad as the three Kawi two-stroke triples I
had. They were amazingly fast, had amazingly bad handling, and amazingly ineffective brakes. A truly
unfortunate combination. At least the Yamaha could corner, and stop when you wanted.

Miles

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:16:39 GMT, Slacker <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
>> hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
>> all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
>>
>> "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"
>>
>> To top it off? I hate Barry Manilow.
>>

>> Miles
>

> How on God's green earth did you even know those lyrics??
> --
> Slacker

You know them, too. I'm just man enough to admit it. C'mon and sing along...

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to
there She would merengue and do the cha-cha And while she tried to be a star, Tony always tended
bar Across a crowded floor, they worked from 8 till 4 They were young and they had each other Who
could ask for more? At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana (Copacabana) The hottest spot north of Havana
(here) At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana Music and passion were always the fashion At the Copa....they
fell in love (Copa Copacabana) His name was Rico, he wore a diamond He was escorted to his chair,
he saw Lola dancin' there And when she finished, he called her over But Rico went a bit too far,
Tony sailed across the bar And then the punches flew and chairs were smashed in two There was
blood and a single gun shot But just who shot who? At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana (Copacabana) The
hottest spot north of Havana (here) At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana Music and passion were always
the fashion At the Copa....she lost her love (Copa Copacabana) (Copa Copacabana) (Copacabana,
ahh... ahh... ahh... ahh) (Ahh... ahh... ahh... ahh... Copa Copacabana) (Talking Havana have a
banana) (Music and passion... always the fash... shun) Her name is Lola, she was a showgirl But
that was 30 years ago, when they used to have a show Now it's a disco, but not for Lola Still in
the dress she used to wear, faded feathers in her hair She sits there so refined, and drinks
herself half-blind She lost her youth and she lost her Tony Now she's lost her mind! At the Copa
(CO!), Copacabana (Copacabana) The hottest spot north of Havana (here) At the Copa (CO!),
Copacabana Music and passion were always the fashion At the Copa....don't fall in love (Copa)
don't fall in love Copacabana Copacabana etc. to end

All lyrics are property and copyright of their owners. All lyrics provided for educational
purposes only.

Ah, isn't the internet amazing. I plugged in "manilow copa lyrics", and Google gave it to me
instantly.

Miles

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:52:12 GMT, G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:

> Reco Diver wrote:
>> miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<oprne6czcglkb6ka@news-server>...
>>

>>> I have to apologize, Reco, as you seem to be a reasonable, knowledgeable guy, but I just have a
>>> hard time with your nickname. I understand what it means, and where it comes from (I do, after
>>> all, live in San Diego) but every time I read "Reco Diver" I hear in my head:
>>>
>>> "Reco, he was a diver... at the Copa Cabana"
>>

>> That would be Rico....
>
> Well, miles has gone and done it because at no time in the past did Copa Cabana pop into my head
> seeing your nic. Now, well, now is another story. Damn you miles!
>
> Greg

Anything for you, Greg. You know I love you like my own brother. By the way, when are you going to
be able to get down here to ride?

Miles