What happens to old team bikes?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Roy Roberts, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Roy Roberts

    Roy Roberts Guest

    What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor or technology? Is there any why to
    track down and purchase these items? Any input would be helpful.

    Tags:

  2. Roy Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:
    > What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor or technology

    Not really what you are asking (since when is that a problem on Usenet?), but Lance (Armstrong)'s
    climbing bike from 2001 is at Mount Airy Bicycles, MD, just for display. It's incredibly light, and
    either side of the tip of the saddle is worn down to the plastic support, which shows that it is
    really a bike that was used! I sat on it and have felt different ever since...

    Didier

    --
    Didier A Depireux [email protected] [email protected] 685 W.Baltimore Str
    http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm Anatomy and Neurobiology Phone: 410-706-1272 (off)

  3. Lewdvig

    Lewdvig Guest

    They are sent to me. I transform them into office furniture.

    "Roy Roberts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor or
    technology?
    > Is there any why to track down and purchase these items? Any input would
    be helpful.

  4. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    I sat on it and have felt different ever
    > since...

    you must have been the guy i saw sniffing saddles at the girls race last week :)

  5. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On 26 Jun 2003 17:38:18 -0700, [email protected] (Roy Roberts) wrote:

    >What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor or technology? Is there any why to
    >track down and purchase these items? Any input would be helpful.

    A few years back Trek auctioned off the bikes and frames from the 1999 USPS season. I was able to
    buy Christian Vande Velde's complete bike at a pretty good price. IIRC Lance's 5500 frame went for
    over $6000. One of the small complete bikes, a 52 or 54, went for about $1400, a bargain. No TT
    bikes were on there though.

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  6. Ben Hughes

    Ben Hughes Guest

    Try: theprosstuff.com

    They sell used pro bikes.

    "Roy Roberts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor or
    technology?
    > Is there any why to track down and purchase these items? Any input would
    be helpful.

  7. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >"Roy Roberts" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor or technology?

    >From: "Lewdvig" [email protected]

    >They are sent to me. I transform them into office furniture.

    I thought that was Henry's gig. Bill C

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Didier A. Depireux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Roy Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor
    or technology

    > Not really what you are asking (since when is that a problem on
    Usenet?),
    > but Lance (Armstrong)'s climbing bike from 2001 is at Mount Airy
    Bicycles,
    > MD, just for display. It's incredibly light, and either side of the
    tip of
    > the saddle is worn down to the plastic support, which shows that it
    is
    > really a bike that was used! I sat on it and have felt different
    ever
    > since...

    Remove the plastic and I think you'll be back to normal.

  9. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    they get sold or auctioned and the money goes to the mechanics as their end of year bonus's

  10. Tez Watson

    Tez Watson Guest

    Many years ago (1976) I bought a second-hand Ilkeston-built Raleigh machine from Tony's shop in
    Copley Road, Doncaster (Campag Super Record throughout apart from Zeus hubs) and it turned out to be
    Gerald O'Donovan's machine (involved with the TI Raleigh team at the time) I was told the history of
    the bike by an old guy at a crit (Gerry Thurlow crits - how's that for a memory!) at RAF Swinderby,
    Lincs. who had been involved in it's creation frame No. OD 174 Third frame built at Ilkeston or so
    he told me, he spotted the bike a mile off!

    Sold it twelve years on when hard up - wish I had it now, a bit of history
    --
    A person needs only two tools in life: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use
    WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the tape - Unknown