What happens to old team bikes?

Roy Roberts

Guest
What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor or technology? Is there any why to
track down and purchase these items? Any input would be helpful.

Roy Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:
> What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor or technology

Not really what you are asking (since when is that a problem on Usenet?), but Lance (Armstrong)'s
climbing bike from 2001 is at Mount Airy Bicycles, MD, just for display. It's incredibly light, and
either side of the tip of the saddle is worn down to the plastic support, which shows that it is
really a bike that was used! I sat on it and have felt different ever since...

Didier

--
Didier A Depireux [email protected] [email protected] 685 W.Baltimore Str
http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm Anatomy and Neurobiology Phone: 410-706-1272 (off)

They are sent to me. I transform them into office furniture.

"Roy Roberts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor or
technology?
> Is there any why to track down and purchase these items? Any input would
be helpful.

I sat on it and have felt different ever
> since...

you must have been the guy i saw sniffing saddles at the girls race last week :)

On 26 Jun 2003 17:38:18 -0700, [email protected] (Roy Roberts) wrote:

>What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor or technology? Is there any why to
>track down and purchase these items? Any input would be helpful.

A few years back Trek auctioned off the bikes and frames from the 1999 USPS season. I was able to
buy Christian Vande Velde's complete bike at a pretty good price. IIRC Lance's 5500 frame went for
over $6000. One of the small complete bikes, a 52 or 54, went for about $1400, a bargain. No TT
bikes were on there though.

Lindsay
----------------------------
"One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

P.J. O'Rourke

Try: theprosstuff.com

They sell used pro bikes.

"Roy Roberts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor or
technology?
> Is there any why to track down and purchase these items? Any input would
be helpful.

>"Roy Roberts" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor or technology?

>From: "Lewdvig" [email protected]

>They are sent to me. I transform them into office furniture.

I thought that was Henry's gig. Bill C

"Didier A. Depireux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Roy Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:
> > What happens to old team bikes when there is a change of sponsor
or technology

> Not really what you are asking (since when is that a problem on
Usenet?),
> but Lance (Armstrong)'s climbing bike from 2001 is at Mount Airy
Bicycles,
> MD, just for display. It's incredibly light, and either side of the
tip of
> the saddle is worn down to the plastic support, which shows that it
is
> really a bike that was used! I sat on it and have felt different
ever
> since...

Remove the plastic and I think you'll be back to normal.

they get sold or auctioned and the money goes to the mechanics as their end of year bonus's

Many years ago (1976) I bought a second-hand Ilkeston-built Raleigh machine from Tony's shop in
Copley Road, Doncaster (Campag Super Record throughout apart from Zeus hubs) and it turned out to be
Gerald O'Donovan's machine (involved with the TI Raleigh team at the time) I was told the history of
the bike by an old guy at a crit (Gerry Thurlow crits - how's that for a memory!) at RAF Swinderby,
Lincs. who had been involved in it's creation frame No. OD 174 Third frame built at Ilkeston or so
he told me, he spotted the bike a mile off!

Sold it twelve years on when hard up - wish I had it now, a bit of history
--
A person needs only two tools in life: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use
WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the tape - Unknown