what happens when you enter a low tunnel

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=1899&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=507

> Poor Ibis.

I hope you're joking. That bike belongs (well, belonged) to a friend of
mine; cracked at head tube just a few days ago at the end of a ride.
(You'll note it was posted by Miles, a regular here in AM-B. Pic was taken
by Michael, who also pokes his head in here now and then.)

Bill "misrepresented carnage" S.

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ellis wrote:
> > and forget to pull your bike down beforehand.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=1899&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=507

> > Poor Ibis.

> I hope you're joking. That bike belongs (well, belonged) to a friend of
> mine; cracked at head tube just a few days ago at the end of a ride.
> (You'll note it was posted by Miles, a regular here in AM-B. Pic was

taken
> by Michael, who also pokes his head in here now and then.)
>
> Bill "misrepresented carnage" S.

Yes, I am joking, or rather guessing, what happened... The top tube near
the head tube looks cracked and bottom tube near the head tube is bent
backwards. WTF happened?

ellis wrote:
> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> ellis wrote:
>>> and forget to pull your bike down beforehand.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=1899&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=507

>>> Poor Ibis.

>> I hope you're joking. That bike belongs (well, belonged) to a
>> friend of mine; cracked at head tube just a few days ago at the end
>> of a ride. (You'll note it was posted by Miles, a regular here in
>> AM-B. Pic was taken by Michael, who also pokes his head in here now
>> and then.)
>>
>> Bill "misrepresented carnage" S.
>>

> Yes, I am joking, or rather guessing, what happened... The top tube
> near the head tube looks cracked and bottom tube near the head tube
> is bent backwards. WTF happened?

I wasn't there, so will let Michael chime in if he sees this thread.

Bill "he was JUST RIDING ALONG and...." S.

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ellis wrote:
> > "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=1899&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=507

> >> I hope you're joking. That bike belongs (well, belonged) to a
> >> friend of mine; cracked at head tube just a few days ago at the end
> >> of a ride. (You'll note it was posted by Miles, a regular here in
> >> AM-B. Pic was taken by Michael, who also pokes his head in here now
> >> and then.)
> >>
> >> Bill "misrepresented carnage" S.
> >>

> > Yes, I am joking, or rather guessing, what happened... The top tube
> > near the head tube looks cracked and bottom tube near the head tube
> > is bent backwards. WTF happened?

> I wasn't there, so will let Michael chime in if he sees this thread.
>
> Bill "he was JUST RIDING ALONG and...." S.

Damn... my condolences to Mike, given he can't get his warranty since Ibis
is out of biz.

ellis wrote:

> Damn... my condolences to Mike, given he can't get his warranty
> since Ibis is out of biz.

Mike took the pic. "This Guy Dan" owned the bike.

Bill "that really used to be his NN" S.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:11:08 -0700, ellis wrote
(in article <[email protected]>):

> Damn... my condolences to Mike, given he can't get his warranty since Ibis
> is out of biz.

too bad about the bike, but if Ibis covered this kind of thing under
warranty, no wonder they're out of business.

> Bill "he was JUST RIDING ALONG and...." S.

Was it him just riding along the side of the mountain when all of a sudden
the ground disappeared under him... fast... and on videotape that we all
saw?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:tEhOc.2121$4%[email protected]...
> > Bill "he was JUST RIDING ALONG and...." S.

> Was it him just riding along the side of the mountain when all of a sudden
> the ground disappeared under him... fast... and on videotape that we all
> saw?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Him being Miles, Yes. Him being the owner of the Ibis, no.

Michael

"ellis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Yes, I am joking, or rather guessing, what happened... The top tube near
> the head tube looks cracked and bottom tube near the head tube is bent
> backwards. WTF happened?

Actually, he was more or less JRA.........

At the end of the ride (best possible time to have this kind of failure I
guess) we were about 1/8 mile from the vehicles. I was actually behind a
bit so I didn't get to witness it. On a reasonably flat section following a
bit of a gradual descent, you go over a hump and have to make a hard right
turn. Dan missed the turn and went straight instead. Unfortunately,
straight meant plowing into a pile of immovable **** (dirt and cement from
illegal dumping years ago) that, well, didn't move! He augered the front
end in and almost endoed but merely fell off the side.

He wasn't hucking, bombing downhill fast, or even doing anything that none
of us ever did. He's doesn't jump the bike and is quite gentle on his
equipment. It's just one of those unfortunate things that happened.

Michael

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 02:58:23 GMT, Michael wrote:

> He wasn't hucking, bombing downhill fast, or even doing anything that none
> of us ever did. He's doesn't jump the bike and is quite gentle on his
> equipment. It's just one of those unfortunate things that happened.

Seems like something a warranty would cover...if its under warranty.

At least it was near the end of the ride. Like you say, the best possible
place. It must have been some trick to screw a frame that bad without
endo-ing!

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 02:58:23 GMT, Michael wrote:
>
> > He wasn't hucking, bombing downhill fast, or even doing anything that

none
> > of us ever did. He's doesn't jump the bike and is quite gentle on his
> > equipment. It's just one of those unfortunate things that happened.

> Seems like something a warranty would cover...if its under warranty.
>
>> -BB-

> To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Not sure if the Ibis warranty was lifetime, but since Ibis is no more I
guess it doesn't matter!

Michael

BB wrote:

>> He wasn't hucking, bombing downhill fast, or even doing anything that none
>> of us ever did. He's doesn't jump the bike and is quite gentle on his
>> equipment. It's just one of those unfortunate things that happened.

> Seems like something a warranty would cover...if its under warranty.

You ride a bike headlong in to a load of dried cement and that's covered
by warranty?!