What happens when you oppose Bu$hCo too vigorously

nns1400 said:
So now we have to prevent the whole world from feeling afraid or running out of hope? So they won't then want to kill you, personally, and your whole family?

You are ignoring the "religion" part of the "radical fundamentalist religion." They want their own countries enslaved to it, and the Western ones as well.

Who told you that ? Fox News and the Whitehouse punt that line but it doesn't reflect what the actual (alleged and otherwise) terrorists say. Have a look and see what Robert Pape has to say about the motives of suicide bombers. Take a read of the *full* transcripts of statements issued by terrorists and terrorist organisations.

I am willing to bet that they don't list enslaving entire countries to religion as their primary objective.

nns1400 said:
It's the mullahs who are ruining their lives, not Americans.

Hmm, well in the case of the US and UK both governments have actively taken part in facilitating the killing and displacement of *millions* of Muslims within living memory and we are *still* doing it. That kind of **** has consequences, and one of those consequences is making *some* people so desperate and so angry that they feel they have no alternative but to respond with extreme violence.

As an American (and as a Brit in my case) our taxes facilitate a lot of the bad stuff happening to Muslims and I guess to some people that makes us accomplices (albeit unwilling ones - no one wants to pay taxes). The IDF made a similar deduction with respect to the Lebanese civillians it recently killed (and continues to kill with UXO).

nns1400 said:
You are ignoring the "religion" part of the "radical fundamentalist religion." They want their own countries enslaved to it, and the Western ones as well. Isn't that why you see Arabs in Britain holding signs that say "The Future Of Britain" during Ramadan? How much hope did people have living under the Taliban? That's the kind of hope they are offering Muslims. That is the kind of hope a Muslim will receive from Osama. It's the mullahs who are ruining their lives, not Americans.

Part of the issue is your country's imperialistic tendencies of late and your country's invasion of another sovereign territory which just happens to be Arab and Muslim.

This is your country's latest attempt to interfere in a region in which it has no right to be present at all.

Durangodave said:
No. Ending the suffering of all beings is a voluntary task, should you decide to become a Buddhist...

But there is a minimum requirement on all of us to see what suffering we are actively causing. Take Iran, for example. You can really draw a line straight from our overthrow of Mosaddegh, through the installation and our support of the brutal Shah, right to the Islamic revolution. All of this is a pretty orthodox reading of history, by the way.
But they would be happy and hopeful without us around? As a woman, I don't really see their culture that way....

darkboong said:
Who told you that ? Fox News and the Whitehouse punt that line but it doesn't reflect what the actual (alleged and otherwise) terrorists say. Have a look and see what Robert Pape has to say about the motives of suicide bombers. Take a read of the *full* transcripts of statements issued by terrorists and terrorist organisations.

I am willing to bet that they don't list enslaving entire countries to religion as their primary objective.

Hmm, well in the case of the US and UK both governments have actively taken part in facilitating the killing and displacement of *millions* of Muslims within living memory and we are *still* doing it. That kind of **** has consequences, and one of those consequences is making *some* people so desperate and so angry that they feel they have no alternative but to respond with extreme violence.

As an American (and as a Brit in my case) our taxes facilitate a lot of the bad stuff happening to Muslims and I guess to some people that makes us accomplices (albeit unwilling ones - no one wants to pay taxes). The IDF made a similar deduction with respect to the Lebanese civillians it recently killed (and continues to kill with UXO).
Excuses, excuses. What kind of education are these young men receiving? Who tells them what to think? Certainly not Fox News, but mullahs who drill this hatred into them. When small children chant about streets running with Jewish blood, I think they have an internal problem.

Their own governments are corrupt, so they are happy to point the finger at the Great Satan. If they feel they "have no alternative but to respond with extreme violence" against civilians then I can tell you "that **** has consequences" too.

Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan have/had some of the most oppressive societies imaginable because of their radical fundamentalist religion.

nns1400 said:
But they would be happy and hopeful without us around? As a woman, I don't really see their culture that way....
I agee w/ you here. The Koran & the bible, for that matter, relegate women to the house. They like it that way. It gives them power over half of the population & it is based on mythology so no rational argument can be made against it in their eyes. Thats why I feel all warm and fuzzy inside being an athiest :)
On another note you might find this humourous judging by your other post's:
A Washington, DC travel agent offers some examples of why our country is in
trouble!

1. A New Hampshire Congresswoman ask for an aisle seat so that her hair
wouldn't get messed up by being near the window.
>
2. A candidate's staffer called wanting to go to Capetown. After explaining
the length of the flight and the passport information, she interrupted me
with, "I'm not trying to make you look stupid, but Capetown is in
Massachusetts," Without trying to make her look stupid, I explained, "Cape
Cod is in Massachusetts, Capetown is in Africa," She hung up.
>
3. A senior Vermont Congressman called, furious about a Florida vacation
package we did for him to
>an ocean-view room. I tried to explain that's not possible, since Orlando
>is in the middle of the state. He replied, "Don't lie to me, I looked on
>the map and Florida is a very thin state!"
>
4. An aide for a cabinet member called and asked if he could rent a car in
Dallas . When I pulled up the reservation, I noticed he had only a 1-hour
layover in Dallas . When I asked him why he wanted to rent a car, he said,
"I heard Dallas was a big airport, and we will need a car to drive between
gates to save time."
>
5. An Illinois Congresswoman called wanting to know how it was possible
that her flight from Detroit left at 8:30 am and got to Chicago at 8:33 am.
I explained that Michigan was an hour ahead of Illinois , but she couldn't
understand the concept of time zones. Finally, I told her the plane went
fast, and she bought that.
>
6. A New York lawmaker called and asked, "Do airlines put your physical
description on your bag so they know whose luggage belongs to whom?" I said,
"No, why do you ask?" She replied, "When I checked in at the airport, they
put a tag on my luggage that said (FAT), and I'm overweight. I think that's
very rude!" After putting her on hold while I looked into it (I was
laughing) I came back and explained the city code for Fresno, CA is (FAT),
and the airline was just putting a destination tag on her luggage.
>
7. A Senator's aide called to inquire about a trip package to Hawaii. After
going over all the cost info, she asked, "Would it be cheaper to fly to
California, and then take the train to Hawaii ?"
>
8. A freshman Congressman called and asked, "How do I know which planeto get
on?" I asked him what exactly he meant and he replied, "I was told my flight
number is 823, but none of these planes have numbers on them."
>
9. A lady Senator called and said, "I need to fly to Pepsi-Cola ,Florida .
Do I have to get on one of those little computer planes?" I asked if she
meant fly to Pensacola , Fl. on a commuter plane. She said, "Yeah, whatever,
smarty!"
>
10. A senior Senator called and had a question about the documents he
needed in order to fly to China . After a lengthy discussion about
passports, I reminded him that he needed a visa. "Oh, no I don't. I've been
to China many times and never had to have one of those." I double checked
and sure enough, his stay required a visa. When I told him this he said,
"Look, I've been to China four times and every time they have accepted my
American Express!"
>
11. A New Mexico Congresswoman called to make reservations, "I want togo
from Chicago to Rhino, New York " I was at a loss for words. Finally, I
said, "Are you sure that's the name of the town?" Yes, what flights do you
have?" replied the lady. After some searching, I came back with, "I'm sorry,
ma'am, I've looked up every airport code in the country and can't find a
Rhino anywhere." The lady retorted, "Oh, don't be silly! Everyone knows
where it is. Check your map! "So I scoured a map of the state of New York
and finally offered, "You don't mean Buffalo , do you?" The reply?
"Whatever! I knew it was a big animal".

Now you know why our government is in the shape that it's in!

davidmc said:
I agee w/ you here. The Koran & the bible, for that matter, relegate women to the house. They like it that way. It gives them power over half of the population & it is based on mythology so no rational argument can be made against it in their eyes. Thats why I feel all warm and fuzzy inside being an athiest :)
On another note you might find this humourous judging by your other post's:
That was funny. BTW the Dallas airport really is that big!

I happen to read the Bible and go to church, but I'm pretty much a free person. I don't think the authorities would look the other way or celebrate if my husband chopped me to bits for disrespecting him or something. (thank goodness, I have a bit of a sharp tongue sometimes, good thing I can let it all out on you people :p )

A few years ago an American on an Air New Zealand flight to Auckland out of LAX enquired of the cabin staff why the flight was taking so long.
He thought he was going to Oakland CA. :D
True story.

stevebaby said:
A few years ago an American on an Air New Zealand flight to Auckland out of LAX enquired of the cabin staff why the flight was taking so long.
He thought he was going to Oakland CA. :D
True story.
I believe it has been well established that American public schools do NOT teach geography. 50% of high school seniors in California could not place THE PACIFIC OCEAN! (My kids go to private school - natch) However, this only proves that our superior economic system allows morons to do well enough to travel to places like Australia, even if by accident ;) .

nns1400 said:
...Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan have/had some of the most oppressive societies imaginable because of their radical fundamentalist religion.
I worked in Afghanistan in the early 1990's (up until shortly after Desert Storm hit Iraq). The region now known as Afghanistan has had tribal conflict throughout it's history, only part of which has been as a predominantly Muslim Country. I very much enjoyed my time there, meeting some incredible people along the way. In some ways, I have seen more oppression and less respect in the Western societies I have lived in.
As for Saudi Arabia, when is the Coalition planning on invading it? It surely rates as one of the least "democratic" Nations, so is deserving of our wrath? Oh, no, that's right, we already have access to their oil supply, so ethics don't apply.

EoinC said:
I worked in Afghanistan in the early 1990's (up until shortly after Desert Storm hit Iraq). The region now known as Afghanistan has had tribal conflict throughout it's history, only part of which has been as a predominantly Muslim Country. I very much enjoyed my time there, meeting some incredible people along the way. In some ways, I have seen more oppression and less respect in the Western societies I have lived in.
As for Saudi Arabia, when is the Coalition planning on invading it? It surely rates as one of the least "democratic" Nations, so is deserving of our wrath? Oh, no, that's right, we already have access to their oil supply, so ethics don't apply.
I despise the Saudi govt. It has one of the worst records regarding religious freedom on the planet, especially when it comes to Christianity. The State Dept does not care. But this country needs oil like it needs air. It is a morally distressing situation, and I don't know the answer.

I have heard from Christian missionaries that the Afghans are wonderful people, and yes, they have been plagued by war for so long. I was referring directly to the Taliban that imposed far stricter measures than what they had been forced to deal with before that time, particularly against women.

Bu$hCo's policies showing reults :mad:
Money News8/29/2006 10:30 AM ET
Census shows a widening gap among Americans
American households are making more but more people lack health insurance and the poverty rate is roughly unchanged, according to the Census Bureau. The data suggest growing inequality between rich and poor.

By MSN Money
American households are making more but more people lack health insurance and the poverty rate is roughly unchanged, according to a new government report.

The Census Bureau reported Tuesday that the median household income -- the point at which half make more and half make less -- was $46,300, a slight increase from 2004.

Meanwhile the number of people without health insurance increased to 46.6 million in 2005. About 45.3 million people were without insurance the year before.

About 37 million Americans were living under the poverty line last year -- about 12.6% of the population. The rate dipped slightly from 12.7% a year earlier, though the Census Bureau said the change is statistically insignificant.

It's the first year it hasn't increased since before President Bush took office. The last decline in the poverty rate was in 2000, during the Clinton administration, when it dropped to 11.3%.

limerickman said:
The entire nub of your country's problem and the reason for it's imperialistic tendencies.

So do you use faerie dust to keep warm in Ireland? Peat?

nns1400 said:
Excuses, excuses. What kind of education are these young men receiving? Who tells them what to think?

Irrelevent to the question. If you are unable to even specify a source let alone provide evidence to support your premises your entire argument is amounts to hot air.

I will repeat the question :

What is your source for your statement that terrorists are trying to "enslave countries" ?

All of statements made by terrorists that I am aware of and the conclusions of Robert Pape's study of all suicide bombings since 1980 flatly contradict your opinion.

nns1400 said:
So do you use faerie dust to keep warm in Ireland? Peat?

We buy oil.

We don't attempt to invade countries in order to steal oil.
Unlike your country.

limerickman said:
The entire nub of your country's problem and the reason for it's imperialistic tendencies.
Correct. "Reduce" seems to be a dirty word. It apparently somehow implies a removal of freedoms. The USA already enjoys some of the lowest petroleum prices in the World, thanks to it being a relatively untaxed commodity in comparison with most modernised Nations. When the price goes up, the air is filled with complaints about the rights of SUV drivers to get to the mall without being impacted in the non-airbagged hip pocket.
The Governments of USA appear to be scared of introducing the kind of town planning and stick & carrot social engineering that is required to make cities function with less reliance on hydrocarbons for human movement.
The fact that, for the first time (as far as I am aware), the Government had to dig into the DOE's Strategic Petroleum Reserve, without bringing any noticeable reduction measures in to play, should serve as a warning to you. You are not going to know that you are headed for trouble until you are already there - Your Fed's are too scared of the socio-political backlash to come out and tell you that you are in the ****. They find it much easier to tell you to go to fight a war to secure new fields, than they do to tell you to use what you have responsibly.
Kind of weird that the coalition Nations would rather send their sons and daughters to fight for Halliburton & Co. on foreign soil, than catch the bus to the Mall.
Incidentally, I'm not really pro-anybody in particular. I earn my living extracting oil fromn the ground in foreign (to me) Nations, and the more you buy, technically the better off I am. I do, however, live on this Planet, and see some trends occurring that I find disturbing, and my comments are based on these observations.

Agreed - Eoin.

The overdependence on oil in the West - and the USA in particular - needs to be addressed.

Wise goverment would try to develop other sources of energy to power transport (plane/car/train), light and heat etc.
Alternative energy sources would seem to be the way to go (not wishing to put your job at risk - Eoin!)

But as you say, these same goverments overdependence on oil, leads them in to inventing reasons to invade countries who just happen to have vast supplies of oil.
Expediency.

I guess it's lucky for Ireland that it doesn't have anything that anyone wants then eh.

;)

limerickman said:
But as you say, these same goverments overdependence on oil, leads them in to inventing reasons to invade countries who just happen to have vast supplies of oil.
Expediency.
Lets forget for one second that all western economies are tied to the USA's economic wagon, as it were. Lets also forget the fact that the UK is heavily invested in USA real estate. Now. where were we :confused: Oh yes, the whole charade is dependent on reliable sources of petroleum at present. Given our country is vast in comparison to many other countries & we need to move commodities about, petroleum gives a good power to weight ratio. Granted the passenger vehicle industry is making strides in alternative fuels (cells, ethanol) our commodity transport is still reliant upon gas/diesel). What fuel do trucks run on in Europe :confused:

davidmc said:
Given our country is vast in comparison to many other countries & we need to move commodities about, petroleum gives a good power to weight ratio.

Trains are the most efficient form of land transport. The US rail system is shambolic even by the pathetic standard set by the post-Privatisation British system.