What have you always wanted to achieve on a bike?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Introspection Question #1:

    What have you always wanted to achieve on a bike?

    To get the new Zipp 808 "fully sick mate!" aero carbon wheels
    rolling, some of mine are:

    - A good wheelie (followed by a good manual)
    - Good no-hand trackstand (or a perfect normal trackstand)
    - Melbourne to Mildura ride

    hippy

    Tags:

  2. gescom

    gescom New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    - Short term goal is the 'Around the Bay' in a day ride.

    - Ride around Australia, NZ, or Tasmania at least.

    - Pass roadies up a hill with a loaded bike (they may have to be aged 90+ for that to happen though :) )

    - Those perfect days with the sun on your back, NO wind, and you make it home just before sunset.

    Btw Hippy, what do you mean by 'a good manual'? Not a bike manual I guess? :) lol.

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Cross the Nullarbor
    (perth to Adelaide. nice tailwind almost guaranteed :) )

    Tour Europe on tandem
    (with wife but Angelina Jolie would do in a pinch)

    Be on Alpe D'Huez hairpin whilst 'they' go by...

    Place in a Kew D-grade crit

    Move up to C-grade

    Race in C-grade and beat Hippy :D

    emulate these guys...
    http://www.downtheroad.org

  4. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "gescom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Btw Hippy, what do you mean by 'a good manual'? Not a bike
    > manual I guess? :) lol.

    A "manual" is similar to a wheelie but you keep the front
    wheel in the air without any pedaling, i.e. just by getting
    your weight in the right spot over the back wheel. It's a
    great trick that needs awesome balance... balance that I
    don't have. :-(

    hippy

  5. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:5_%[email protected]...
    > Tour Europe on tandem (with wife but Angelina Jolie
    > would do in a
    pinch)

    Yeah, nice one.. 'cept ditch the "tandem" bit.

    > Be on Alpe D'Huez hairpin whilst 'they' go by...

    I'd love to see any part of the tour.. another good choice!

    > Place in a Kew D-grade crit

    If you are riding around those hills near Warrandyte, you'll
    do that easy once you work out "the system" :)

    > Move up to C-grade Race in C-grade and beat Hippy :D

    That shouldn't be too hard.. I pulled out of my last 2
    crits. :-S

    > emulate these guys... http://www.downtheroad.org

    hehe.. cool! :)

    hippy

  6. Munk3y

    Munk3y Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Introspection Question #1:
    >
    > What have you always wanted to achieve on a bike?

    I' like to build a little trailer/chariot for my old cattle
    dog (13.y.o) to sit on. He's too old to chase the bike
    these days.

    - Munk3y

  7. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Munk3y wrote:

    > hippy wrote:
    > > Introspection Question #1:
    > >
    > > What have you always wanted to achieve on a bike?
    > >

    > I' like to build a little trailer/chariot for my old
    > cattle dog (13.y.o) to sit on. He's too old to chase the
    > bike these days.
    >
    > - Munk3y

    After the Gold Coast marathon on Sunday, I saw a guy riding
    along the highway with an interesting setup. He had what
    looked to be a wooden board mounted along the entire length
    of his top tube and probably about five inches wide. For his
    dog to ride on. It looked like a cattle dog cross or
    something. Very cute.

    Tamyka
    --

  8. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    With frozen toes this morning I thought of another couple
    of things I want to do...

    Ride in another country (can't believe I've not done this..)

    Ride in the SNOW!! :-D

    I reckon try it on ice and in snow with normal tyres and then
    do the same thing with those funky studded tyres..

    hippy

  9. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    the big thing for me was that I could get up 5mins later and ride in for a 10:00 lecture as against catching the train.
    Ended up hating 9:00 lectures !

  10. hippy <[email protected]> writes:

    > Introspection Question #1:
    >
    > What have you always wanted to achieve on a bike?
    >
    > To get the new Zipp 808 "fully sick mate!" aero carbon
    > wheels rolling, some of mine are:

    - Wheel suck thouse roadies that keep shooting past me
    on the M4.
    - Be able to bunny hop the curb
    - SYD to newscatle
    - SYD to BRN

    http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find
    out more. Free the Memes.

  11. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    faster, stronger, longer ..

    perfect balance

    a wheelie (on both road and mt bikes)

    a love of headwinds and rain ;-)

  12. hippy wrote:

    > Ride in another country (can't believe I've not done
    > this..)

    Take the ferry south. Cheap fares atm. You could probably do
    it as a weekender. (well the rest of the world thinks it is
    a different country {:).

    Or a cheap flight east.

    > Ride in the SNOW!! :-D

    Volunteer for the antartic division {;-)

  13. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:24:51 +1000, ? the Platypus {aka David Formosa}
    wrote:

    > - SYD to newscatle

    I've always wanted to get a map going of this ride with
    all sorts of back roads etc, so you can avoid the F3 &
    pacific hwy.

    From here (Lake Macquarie) to Newcastle is a bit difficult,
    but to the south is alot more promising.

    For example, I could get from Morisset to Wyong with
    insignificant traffic along Yaramalong valley road (or
    whatever the road name is), from there cut under the pacific
    hwy at Wyong Creek into farmlands down to Ourimbah. Up Dog
    Trap road (not on your roadie) to Somersby... anyway that's
    about a fifth of the trip handled. I think if I were more
    familiar with these other areas it might just be possible.
    Would make a good touring route. I don't trust the gov'mnt
    to come up with a decent one for the proposed pacific bike
    route - these are the same people that mark the F3 breakdown
    lane as a bicycle path.

    (For outa-towners the F3 is the major 6-laner from Sydney
    north, it's probably a nice surface to ride on, but that's
    about it in my book. Although you do see a few roadies on it
    on the weekend)

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner, (mailto: king[email protected])
    http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle

  14. Drs

    Drs Guest

    "kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    [...]

    > (For outa-towners the F3 is the major 6-laner from Sydney
    > north, it's probably a nice surface to ride on, but that's
    > about it in my book. Although you do see a few roadies on
    > it on the weekend)

    From memory there are some monster hills when you head north
    out of Sydney. Or is it a different road that goes up
    through Kuring-Gai to to Gosford?

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  15. "kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:24:51 +1000, ? the Platypus {aka
    > David Formosa} wrote:
    >
    > > - SYD to newscatle
    >
    > I've always wanted to get a map going of this ride with
    > all sorts of back roads etc, so you can avoid the F3 &
    > pacific hwy.
    >
    > From here (Lake Macquarie) to Newcastle is a bit
    > difficult, but to the south is alot more promising.
    >
    > For example, I could get from Morisset to Wyong with
    > insignificant traffic along Yaramalong valley road (or
    > whatever the road name is), from there cut under the
    > pacific hwy at Wyong Creek into farmlands down to
    > Ourimbah. Up Dog Trap road (not on your roadie) to
    > Somersby... anyway that's about a fifth of the trip
    > handled. I think if I were more familiar with these other
    > areas it might just be possible. Would make a good
    > touring route. I don't trust the gov'mnt to come up with
    > a decent one for the proposed pacific bike route - these
    > are the same people that mark the F3 breakdown lane as a
    > bicycle path.
    >
    > (For outa-towners the F3 is the major 6-laner from Sydney
    > north, it's probably a nice surface to ride on, but that's
    > about it in my book. Although you do see a few roadies on
    > it on the weekend)
    >
    > -kt
    >
    > --
    > Kingsley Turner, (mailto:
    > [email protected])
    > http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle
    > Frequenly Asked
    Questions

    Get yourself a good GPS and some software and publish your
    maps on the net. It's not hard and it's actually fun.
    GarTrip is good software. I use a Garmin GPS 72 (It's
    waterproof and it floats.) You cna download your routes and
    superimpose them onto scanned maps.

    Marty

  16. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    You're memory is correct, though it betrays your taste for hills... the maximum elevation of the "old" road is about 200-250m, which you do at least three times from Sydney to Gosford. (Plus all of the little ups and downs). The hills are lengthy, but not particularly steep as the old road was the main highway... main highways tending to be less steep than other roads. Judging from my own speeds up the hills, I'd reckon the grades are around 5%.

    I think it's a fun road, but the surface is pretty bad in some sections. Sunday mornings also see plenty of hoons on motorbikes and WRX-type car people. Fortunately, you can hear them from a long way off.

    Ritch

  17. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    I thought of another one today...

    a reverse 360 on the fixie..

    Practising for 30min today I could roll back 90deg and managed
    a few near-180's but 360 will take some time...

    hippy

  18. kingsley wrote:

    > On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:24:51 +1000, ? the Platypus {aka
    > David Formosa} wrote:
    >
    > > - SYD to newscatle
    >
    > I've always wanted to get a map going of this ride with
    > all sorts of back roads etc, so you can avoid the F3 &
    > pacific hwy.
    >
    > From here (Lake Macquarie) to Newcastle is a bit
    > difficult, but to the south is alot more promising.

    Unfortunately, only the main road north, unless you cut west
    and ride the Sugarloaf range up to the west of cardiff.

    > For example, I could get from Morisset to Wyong with
    > insignificant traffic along Yaramalong valley road (or
    > whatever the road name is), from there cut under the
    > pacific hwy at Wyong Creek into farmlands down to
    > Ourimbah.

    The bush route is west into the Watagans and follow that
    main road south to Buckety, Kulnura, Mangrove Mtn, then
    south to Mooney Mooney on old highway, then (train at
    Brooklyn) or climb to Cowan, Hornsby, etc. or west at MM to
    Spencer, Wisemans Ferry (death alley to Dural,) or riverside
    to Windsor (The Buckety to Windsor is part of the Bicycle
    Australia Pacific Bicycle Trail)

    I will think of that road name soon. From Wyong, west along
    Yarramlong Valley Road, then up Bumble Hill to Kulnura,
    then as above.

    > Up Dog Trap road (not on your roadie) to Somersby...
    > anyway that's about a fifth of the trip handled. I think
    > if I were more familiar with these other areas it might
    > just be possible. Would make a good touring route. I don't
    > trust the gov'mnt to come up with a decent one for the
    > proposed pacific bike route - these are the same people
    > that mark the F3 breakdown lane as a bicycle path.

    Isn't this the Elias Ducohen coastal route that goes east of
    lake macquarie?

    > (For outa-towners the F3 is the major 6-laner from Sydney
    > north, it's probably a nice surface to ride on, but that's
    > about it in my book. Although you do see a few roadies on
    > it on the weekend)

    I think I've mentioned my current preference of the F3 (very
    wide shoulders) to the West of the lake road (no shoulders
    and a 6" drop off in places)

    bummer, still can not think of that road that runs South in
    Wyong west of the F3. will have to look at map.

    --
    Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www:
    http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor Adventures

  19. DRS wrote:

    > "kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:p[email protected]
    > st.com.au
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > (For outa-towners the F3 is the major 6-laner from
    > > Sydney north, it's probably a nice surface to ride on,
    > > but that's about it in my book. Although you do see a
    > > few roadies on it on the weekend)
    >
    > From memory there are some monster hills when you head
    > north out of Sydney. Or is it a different road that goes
    > up through Kuring-Gai to to Gosford?

    There is really only one hill with a few bumps. It is
    downhill from Cowan to Mooney Mooney on the Hawkwsbury
    River,, then uphill to Peats Ridge.

    If you are going north, you can then follow a ridgeline to
    Bucketty and then take forset roads through Watagans
    (undulating) or the more relaxed route through Laguna and
    Wollombi to Cessnock then Maitland and north coast or Broke
    to Singleton and New England

    If you go east from Peats Ridge, you then drop to Mooney
    Mooney Creek and climb back up to Somersby, where you can go
    north again or east to Kariong, then down to Gosford. I like
    the gravel route slightly east of the main route. You get
    spat out at the West Gosford lights.

  20. Marty Wallace wrote:

    > Get yourself a good GPS and some software and publish your
    > maps on the net. It's not hard and it's actually fun.
    > GarTrip is good software. I use a Garmin GPS 72 (It's
    > waterproof and it floats.) You cna download your routes
    > and superimpose them onto scanned maps.

    How many way points does it hold? This has been the real
    limitation to date.