What have you chased? Did you beat it?

maydog

Feb 5, 2010
I was going to post this in another thread - but I think this stands on its own.

We are athletes, competitive and nothing brings that out more than a good chase.

I had some fun with this on my commute home from work yesterday which I had intended to be a recovery ride. I was headed north on the highway, making good use of a tailwind. As I reached a trailhead on the left side of the road, I decided to stay on the highway since I had good momentum. On the highway, I was moving along at a good rate and noticed a guy, late teens or early 20's- I think, riding a moped parallel to me on the trail. A girl was seated behind him clinging on as to not fall off the small bike.

They were progressing slowly, with the wind I passed easily. A few miles up, I reached a roundabout. Using it, I made my way over to the trail where I encountered a riding buddy. We chatted for a minute or two, then we noticed the moped coming.

As it passed on by, we made eye contact with the driver - he gave us a look like he was king s#!t. Maybe he thought he was impressing his date with his tragic emo fashion, moped or driving illegally on the trail. A minute later, I concluded my conversation with my friend and headed north on the trail again. This time I had a mission, a rabbit to chase, it was time to show moped man who was the trail boss and punish his crime with being humiliated by a bicycle.

It didn't take long to get the moped back into view. Though it took a couple of miles to close the remaining gap. I believe that I was spotted and he started to drive faster. I eventually caught up at an intersection and drafted for a short while. The girl looked back apparently amused, the guy less so. I was coming up to my turn off the trail, so I made my move. I came around the left and we were side by side - we exchanged a glance, he revved the small engine and I stood up and pulled away.

I sprinted, continuing to pull away, for maybe 30 seconds and then took my turn feeling vindicated. So I blew my recovery ride, but it was good fun - I only wish I had my camera mounted on the bike to record the event.

So, what did you chase? Did you beat it?

Quote: Originally Posted by maydog .

We are athletes, competitive and nothing brings that out more than a good chase.

Chasing PB's just wont cut it in the race game... it needs blood, doesn't it my preciousss.

The last thing i caught was some hipster wearing flip flops on a fixie. Hey, you gotta take the wins when you can ;)

maydog said:
So, what did you chase? Did you beat it?
we used to chase trucks, for drafting, a motorpace workout (30 minutes to an hour for example), with perspective it was half a suicidal ride really, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but the best condition i ever had included motorpacing as you taper for the event, hopefully behind a motorcycle or moped as you described it but driven by your coach or by a friend, p.s. highways were open to cyclists at the time, or better said not regulated by law against us

We have a lot of construction projects here and they have to use the roads to relocate some equipment. I discovered by accident that the perfect vehicle to draft behind is a front loader. They can only travel at about 35mph on the highway, they cut a big hole in the air and they are low enough that you can see over the top to see what's going on in front.

Quote: Originally Posted by vspa .

we used to chase trucks, for drafting, a motorpace workout (30 minutes to an hour for example),
with perspective it was half a suicidal ride really, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but the best condition i ever had included motorpacing as you taper for the event, hopefully behind a motorcycle or moped as you described it but driven by your coach or by a friend,

p.s. highways were open to cyclists at the time, or better said not regulated by law against us

When I was younger, trucks for sure but looking back it's not something i'd do now. I like catching bunches that are swapping off turns, gotta have some decent form tho.

I once got behind a Greyhound bus along with a friend. We were someplace east of San Diego and wound up in Palm Springs.
It was the scariest thing I ever did on a bike.

Chased a rabbit.. it was waiting for me after I had ridden 70 km at a good clip.. it sat there waiting, accelerated to just under 50 kph while running parallel to the road, I picked up the pace but it had a head start and didn't catch up at all, it went a good 200 meters and then hopped off into the forest.

I chases a paraplegic in a three-wheeler down a long mountain descent. He was tough to catch, and the best I could do was maintain a roughly constant distance from him. Not only did he have a puny aero area, he could also rail through corners. As impressive as he was descending, he had to be an animal on the ascent, climbing with only his arms. I'd have liked to have bought that guy a beer.