What Have You Seen Cyclists Do That's Bad For Their Health?

SierraSlim

Oct 4, 2010
[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, Y'all.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]A while back I saw a cyclist pedaling along, a cigarette held out carefully in one hand as he steered with the other. I nearly fell out of my car! I mean, I know cyclists are human, but I guess I was assuming that nobody who cared enough about cycling to do it in bad weather would do something so awful for his health! (I'll bet he has a hard time going up steep hills!)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Other than doing careless things like running stops signs or pulling in front of cars or changing lanes without looking, what else have you seen cyclists do that pretty much undermines the goal of getting healthy on a bike? [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff](Maybe that wasn't HIS goal; and if it wasn't, he's working hard to make sure he doesn't achieve it!)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Just curious. Thanks![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

Quite often see riders with there bikes parked up outside of fast food shops. Maybe they ride so then can indulge alot more often!!

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Scottri![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I have to admit, as much as I'm trying to eat healthily these days, that it's comforting to know that if I DO slip up and buy some fries, I can burn the calories off a whole lot more easily than I ever did before! The interesting thing for me is that I don't seem to WANT the fatty, greasy foods when I cycle every day... but boy, after days of not going because of all this rain, those cravings are coming back![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I. WANT. SUNSHINE!!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Have a good one![/COLOR]

Well besides doping themselves up like crazy?

Anyway, for regular Joes like us I'm sure we do most of the unhealthy things that other people do. If there's anything related to cycling, it's probably that we get a lot more sun exposure and we tend to lose bone density, which puts us at an increased risk for skin cancer and osteoporosis.

Anyway, you're much more likely to die from obesity than you are from skin cancer, so I'll take a bike ride over a day on the couch, any day.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Genredan![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Being to new to biking, I had totally forgotten about the doping thing. That's so sad![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I do wear sunblock faithfully, as I'm a fair-skinned redhead, but I didn't know that cyclists lose bone density. Why is that?? I am going to have to be doing some reading on that one![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the input![/COLOR]

Smoking, crash, run stop signs/red lights, ride off cliffs, ride into immovable objects (trees, for instance) ride bikes with no brakes on the street, give auto and truck drivers the finger while in rush hour traffic, ride on US 1 in the Florida Keys instead of the bike path (where it exists) ...

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Hi, Genredan![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Being to new to biking, I had totally forgotten about the doping thing. That's so sad![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]I do wear sunblock faithfully, as I'm a fair-skinned redhead, but I didn't know that cyclists lose bone density. Why is that?? I am going to have to be doing some reading on that one![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Thanks for the input![/COLOR]
it is b/c cycling is not a weight-bearing high impact sport. Need to run and lift to prevent or delay the loss of bone density.

In Japan, where lots of people commute by bicycle, its not unusual to see cyclists

smoking
drinking/eating
holding umbrellas on rainy days
checking email on a cell
fooling with their audio player
carrying a bag full of shopping

I don't notice what other people are doing when I'm riding. I'm too busy posting on cycling forums threads on my I-Phone/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif.

[COLOR= #0000ff]KD, you crack me UP! I had an instant vision of you doing that and running into a tree, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Daiho, your pictures are astounding. I concentrate on my biking so fully that it's hard for me to imagine people doing things like that as they ride. But I must admit that with all the rain we're having this winter, the umbrella idea is intriguing. Maybe I could find one that just sits on my shoulders, lol. [/COLOR]

Originally Posted by kdelong .

I don't notice what other people are doing when I'm riding. I'm too busy posting on cycling forums threads on my I-Phone/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif