what headset goes in the pictured headtube?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by horizon, May 30, 2007.

1. horizon

horizon New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i've been told a "internal" headset goes in there. does that mean i can buy any internal headset online and it will fit?

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Yes, your frame needs an internal headset ...

No. Unfortunately, there isn't a "standard" for internal headsets.

It helps if you know who made the frame ... and, the model. The manufacturer can tell you what headset the frame uses.

Cannondale is, IMO, notorious for odd-sized head tubes & OTHER proprietary components ... not that your frame was made by Cannondale .. it's just an example of why there is a lack of standards (i.e., a major "player" who wants to play by their own "rules").

If you don't know who made the frame OR model, you can try to describe ALL of the dimensions of the headtube (precision is VERY important) to whomever you are contacting online -- they may, or may not, be able to point you in the right direction.

OR, you can go to your LBS and see what they can do for you ... the price difference probably won't be that much more than via mail order ... some shops are LESS competent than others ... and, of course, you may not have a "competent" LBS near you.

3. John M

John M New Member

See the Chris King website for outstanding discussions of the different types of headsets. I agree with alfeng that you need to find out who made the frame, and go from there to get manufacturer specs. Other than that the other option is to have someone skilled do the measurements. By the way, I would opt for having a shop do the installation of the frame cups unless you have the proper tools to get them pressed in exactly parallel.

http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_headsets_explained/int_hds_explain_1.html