What hub to get for a singlespeed

Hubless

Guest
Ok, I am stating up front that I am in no way versed in the singlespeed cult/culture. I want to get
in on it though.. so I have a question that stems from much confusion.

What hub/freewheel system is best?

What I know is that I want a Surly 1x1 with disc brakes. Disc front for sure, rear optional
(depending on a flip/flop system)

That brings me to the main question.. what is best? Go with a filp/flop with 2 different sized gears
for on the trail flexibility? I had a friend said he would trade his for a standard hub spaced out
for singlespeed (with tension device). I have had someone suggest a "solid axle with track nuts"
(not sure if that was meant to be used with a standard hub) - or a Novatec disc hub that uses a
cassette cog instead of a freewheel (huh?)... way too many options.

WHat I want - something easy to change if I need too. Disc brakes front & rear would be very nice,
but if that gives up too much flexibility I can go disc front only.

I don't want something too cheap that it wears out or breaks (of course)

I don't want the fixed hub (I think it is called) where you can pedal forwards and backwards.

This is my first singlespeed purchase. I just want to make a "best guess" for the first time, and
modify as needed once I start to learn.

Thanks...

http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19
East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Hubless <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ok, I am stating up front that I am in no way versed in the singlespeed cult/culture. I want to
> get in on it though.. so I have a question that stems from much confusion.
>
> What hub/freewheel system is best?

Chris King

JD

On 25 Mar 2003 17:50:17 -0800, JD <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hubless <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3e80a9e9$1_1@text- west.newsgroups.com>...
>> Ok, I am stating up front that I am in no way versed in the singlespeed cult/culture. I want to
>> get in on it though.. so I have a question that stems from much confusion.
>>
>> What hub/freewheel system is best?
>
> Chris King
>
> JD

Phil Wood!

Miles

actually, I ride (and love to no end) Paul's.

miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<oprmmqy31mlkb6ka@news-server>...
> On 25 Mar 2003 17:50:17 -0800, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hubless <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3e80a9e9$1_1@text- west.newsgroups.com>...
> >> Ok, I am stating up front that I am in no way versed in the singlespeed cult/culture. I want to
> >> get in on it though.. so I have a question that stems from much confusion.
> >>
> >> What hub/freewheel system is best?
> >
> > Chris King
> >
> > JD
> >

> Phil Wood!
>

> Miles
>
> actually, I ride (and love to no end) Paul's.

I ride the WORD hubs too and like them, but CK is still the best. No damn aftermarket freewheels to
deal with seems unbeatable, as does CK quality and durability.

JD

[email protected] (JD) wrote:

>I ride the WORD hubs too and like them, but CK is still the best. No damn aftermarket freewheels to
>deal with seems unbeatable, as does CK quality and durability.

I've got Spot on my SS and King on my gearie. The Spot is ****; the aluminum axle is comes with
stock broke (now replaced with stainless), and the bearings seized after a season (now replaced with
Phil Wood).

Only issue with King is that it sounds like a fishing reel when freewheeling and some folks find it
annoying. That's their problem. --dt

Don't fall into the Chris King hype - and that's all it is. Six friends of mine have all had
problems with their hubs - from the freehubs locking up to the hubs constantly loosening up. After a
few weeks of down time, CK did fix it, but it's still a PITA.

The Phil hubs are a good choice.

Lee Bower

On 25 Mar 2003 13:11:37 -0600, Hubless <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ok, I am stating up front that I am in no way versed in the singlespeed cult/culture. I want to get
>in on it though.. so I have a question that stems from much confusion.
>
>What hub/freewheel system is best?

"Best" Best for what? So many different meanings to "best".

>What I know is that I want a Surly 1x1 with disc brakes. Disc front for sure, rear optional
>(depending on a flip/flop system)
>
>That brings me to the main question.. what is best?

There you go with "best" again.

>Go with a filp/flop with 2 different sized gears for on the trail flexibility?

You're analyzing too much.

>WHat I want - something easy to change if I need too. Disc brakes front & rear would be very nice,
>but if that gives up too much flexibility I can go disc front only.

If you want flexibility get a geared pig!

>I don't want something too cheap that it wears out or breaks (of course)

Starting to make sense now.

>This is my first singlespeed purchase. I just want to make a "best guess" for the first time, and
>modify as needed once I start to learn.

Welcome aboard, make some decisions on your own.....You can get a very good frame in Surly, I've
heard very good things. Personally I wanted something lighter. Your ratio will depend on your style
and terrain.

:-]

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 00:23:05 GMT, "Lee Bower" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Don't fall into the Chris King hype - and that's all it is.

Very interesting, very interesting indeed,

:-]

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:07:55 -0500, Doug Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] (JD) wrote:
>

>>I ride the WORD hubs too and like them, but CK is still the best. No damn aftermarket freewheels
>>to deal with seems unbeatable, as does CK quality and durability.
>
>I've got Spot on my SS and King on my gearie. The Spot is ****; the aluminum axle is comes with
>stock broke (now replaced with stainless), and the bearings seized after a season (now replaced
>with Phil Wood).

Sweet something to look forward to.

:-]

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 00:23:05 GMT, "Lee Bower" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Don't fall into the Chris King hype - and that's all it is.
>
> Very interesting, very interesting indeed,

Yeah, I think I'll toss the CK headsets I have. Not doing any maintenance on them sure is boring.

JD

> >I've got Spot on my SS and King on my gearie. The Spot is ****; the aluminum axle is comes with
> >stock broke (now replaced with stainless), and the bearings seized after a season (now replaced
> >with Phil Wood).
>
> Sweet something to look forward to.

As I said, the Spot hub comes stock with an alu axle. After it broke, took the wheel to the LBS for
replacement of the axle as well as the crumby bearings. They ordered Phil Wood bearings, but ordered
the new axle from Spot. Spot shipped them a stainless axle because the alu is for riders "under 120
lbs." Huh? What percentage of mtb'ers are under 120 lbs? Females and kids. Not the majority who are
dew slammin' testosterone charged doods, eh? So how come the stainless axle is not stock, and the
alu an option? Don't know, but I know I'll feel more secure riding the SS with a stainless axle.

Yeah, and what cartridge headset requires maintenance? I have CK headsets on a few of my bikes. But
I haven't found them to be any more reliable than the Cane Creek C2 headsets I have on a few others
- including my DH bike that seems to spend a fair amount of time under water.

Again, most of the CK stuff (headsets, not hubs) are okay, but the performance and reliability is
not any better than some parts that are a third of the cost. CK parts are good for those who like to
show off with bikes that say "I'm rich!"

Just ride...

Lee

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 21:42:23 -0500, "Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >I've got Spot on my SS and King on my gearie. The Spot is ****; the aluminum axle is comes with
>> >stock broke (now replaced with stainless), and the bearings seized after a season (now replaced
>> >with Phil Wood).
>>
>> Sweet something to look forward to.
>
>As I said, the Spot hub comes stock with an alu axle. After it broke, took the wheel to the LBS for
>replacement of the axle as well as the crumby bearings. They ordered Phil Wood bearings, but
>ordered the new axle from Spot. Spot shipped them a stainless axle because the alu is for riders
>"under 120 lbs." Huh? What percentage of mtb'ers are under 120 lbs? Females and kids. Not the
>majority who are dew slammin' testosterone charged doods, eh? So how come the stainless axle is not
>stock, and the alu an option? Don't know, but I know I'll feel more secure riding the SS with a
>stainless axle.

Very good info. Thanks, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector,
that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 04:47:05 GMT, "Lee Bower" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yeah, and what cartridge headset requires maintenance? I have CK headsets on a few of my bikes. But
>I haven't found them to be any more reliable than the Cane Creek C2 headsets I have on a few others
>- including my DH bike that seems to spend a fair amount of time under water.
>
>Again, most of the CK stuff (headsets, not hubs) are okay, but the performance and reliability is
>not any better than some parts that are a third of the cost. CK parts are good for those who like
>to show off with bikes that say "I'm rich!"
>
>Just ride...
>
>Lee

hmmmm? ..... I'm not rich, at least I don't think so, but what does that matter I'm not running in
CK parts.....yet.

I do like your view of CK. I've "heard" that CK parts are over built. If you tend to be hard on
stuff, I think CK is the way to go. This is what I've heard from someone at an LBS. For most mortals
a less expensive solution may suffice.

:-]

"Lee Bowel" <[email protected]> top posted
news:<[email protected]>... <snip dementia again>

Yeah, I drag down the median IQ so much, why don't you go back to car audio, doj trux, moto or
whatever other newsgroup you may grace with your "high intelligence". Now go **** up some other
rope, humpy.

JD