What I saw today..

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kh6zv9, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. kh6zv9

    kh6zv9 Guest

    Could not believe my eyes. A person on a bike was riding down the sidewalk on his beat up road bike
    without a tire on the rear rim. His tire and tube were draped around his neck and he was doing
    about 10 mph.

    Just had to share.

    --------------------------------
    Bob Masse' [email protected]
    --------------------------------

    Tags:

  2. Dvt

    Dvt Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:13:16 -0000, <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Could not believe my eyes. A person on a bike was riding down the sidewalk on his beat up road
    > bike without a tire on the rear rim. His=

    > tire and tube were draped around his neck and he was doing about 10 mp=
    h.

    That coulda' been me, but a few years back. Massive pothole =3D> destro= yed =

    back rim =3D> I had to get home again. I was around 20 miles from home = at =

    the time. Luckily, I was able to get a ride for the last 10 or 15 miles=
    . =

    But those first 5-10 miles were a real treat.

    -- =

    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  3. "dvt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]... On Thu, 13 Nov 2003
    22:13:16 -0000, <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Could not believe my eyes. A person on a bike was riding down the sidewalk on his beat up road
    > bike without a tire on the rear rim. His tire and tube were draped around his neck and he was
    > doing about 10 mph.

    I did that a week ago. My rim was fubared and I needed a replacement anyways. One of the employees
    at the LBS took it for a spin around the parking lot and said it was interesting.

    That particular ride was to the LBS for a new tire, and it was no farther than a mile. I ended up
    snapping a nipple near the end of the ride, and my ass was numb within 200 feet of leaving the front
    door. I didn't think THAT much vibration could be transmitted through the saddle.

    That made me a 100% disbeliever in the "steel is soft and aluminum is stiff" argument.

    10 mph? That's about the max I could do before the wheel started hopping up in the air over bumps.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    > That made me a 100% disbeliever in the "steel is soft and aluminum is stiff" argument.

    but what about the shock absorbant saddle argument! ;)

  5. Rik O'Shea

    Rik O'Shea Guest

    > Could not believe my eyes. A person on a bike was riding down the sidewalk on his beat up road
    > bike without a tire on the rear rim. His tire and tube were draped around his neck and he was
    > doing about 10 mph.
    >

    > Just had to share.
    >

    > --------------------------------
    > Bob Masse' [email protected]
    > --------------------------------

    Speaking of riding on the rim... ..there used to be a little guy in our club called "Lucho" - nick
    named after the diminutive Columbian climber Luis Herrera. Lucho was a student and reputidly didn't
    have a lot of money but somehow he always had the best of racing equipment. Because he was a lazy
    bastard he never bothered to maintain his equipment and constantly borrowed spare tires on training
    spins when he punctured. He used to cycle two miles into college on a beat up MTB and when this
    punctured he never fixed it and rode on a flat rear tire for nearly three weeks.

  6. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Could not believe my eyes. A person on a bike was riding down the sidewalk on his beat up road
    > bike without a tire on the rear rim. His tire and tube were draped around his neck and he was
    > doing about 10 mph.
    >

    > Just had to share.
    >

    > --------------------------------
    > Bob Masse' [email protected]
    > --------------------------------
    A few years ago while out on my bike I had stopped at some lights in Hove & heard this noise coming
    up from behind me. I looked round to find a rough looking guy riding along slowly with no tyres or
    tubes on EITHER wheel. He tried to stop at the lights and fell off as the bike skidded. He then
    stood up, raised his fists and asked if I "wanted some". Luckily the lights changed and I rode off.
    A very strange experience.

    Stan Cox

  7. [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Could not believe my eyes. A person on a bike was riding down the sidewalk on his beat up road
    > bike without a tire on the rear rim. His tire and tube were draped around his neck and he was
    > doing about 10 mph.

    I've done something worse twice in my 25 years of adult cycling. I had a flat and my bike pump
    failed. So I rode on the rim, with the tire and tube still attached. Both times it was about 7-8
    miles distance. Neither time did I ruin the rim.

    The first time I was in college and on my way to a final. I figured I can buy a new rim but not a
    new grade. The second time I just had to make it back to work on a lunch time ride.

    Tom

  8. Max Watt

    Max Watt Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > That particular ride was to the LBS for a new tire, and it was no farther than a mile. I ended up
    > snapping a nipple near the end of the ride, and my ass was numb within 200 feet of leaving the
    > front door. I didn't think THAT much vibration could be transmitted through the saddle.

    that got flagged by my server's porn filter.

  9. On 14 Nov 2003 13:28:08 -0800, [email protected] (Thomas Reynolds) wrote:

    >I've done something worse twice in my 25 years of adult cycling. I had a flat and my bike pump
    >failed. So I rode on the rim, with the tire and tube still attached. Both times it was about 7-8
    >miles distance. Neither time did I ruin the rim.

    I won a race, an itty bitty race, like that -- rode a flat tire (a tubular) for many miles till I
    changed it. Then caught up and won.

    JT
    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  10. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Stan Cox wrote:
    > wheel. He tried to stop at the lights and fell off as the bike skidded. He then stood up, raised
    > his fists and asked if I "wanted some". Luckily the lights changed and I rode off. A very strange
    > experience.
    >
    > Stan Cox

    "Uh, no thanks. I'm straight."

    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young
    soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight in what
    would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it could only plunge that part of the world into ever
    greater instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

  11. In one of the cross country MTB races in connecticut this year, one of the pro riders got a flat..
    fixed it.. got another flat and was without a patch or tube.. took of the tire/tube ( front wheel)..
    finished the race.. passed other riders and actually won the race!

    charlie

    > --------------------------------
    > Bob Masse' [email protected]
    >--------------------------------

  12. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Could not believe my eyes. A person on a bike was riding down the sidewalk on his beat up road
    > bike without a tire on the rear rim. His tire and tube were draped around his neck and he was
    > doing about 10 mph.

    On 10/9* last month, some of the folks in the cycle messenger community held a "rim ride", which is
    a sort of tradition 'round these parts. I was able to attend, and it was my first rim ride.

    I retrieved a structurally sound 27" steel wheel with a nasty hub from my LBS's trash pile. After
    tensioning and truing it (the better to survive the evening's adventure under my ponderous weight),
    I mounted the victim wheel on my old 27" Nishiki one-speed. I rode to the start point with front and
    rear tires mounted, then removed the rear one in preparation for the ride.

    At the time I arrived, the inaugural keg of beer had just floated, but the fun had only begun. There
    were about 40 riders present for the cruise, and some of them had opted to run no tires at all! So
    that made about 50 bare metal wheels rolling at one time. The racket was hellish-- both loud and
    ominous, sort of roaring, howling, and hissing all at the same time.

    I will note that no overinflated, airless, solid urethane, or semi-pneumatic tire can prepare one
    for exactly how harsh it is to ride on a bare rim. I will also note that metal rims offer relatively
    little in the way of traction. I did not slip and fall, but several riders did-- some repeatedly.

    I had the benefit of a sprung saddle, but most of the messengers would never ride such a thing, and
    so had only their scant natural padding to save their bones. One of my companions was riding a
    trials MTB with no tires, and he was bunny-hopping and engaging in other contextually questionable
    maneuvers.

    I was held back with a repair job on a buddy's tallbike (also out rim riding), so I missed the pass
    through the enormous bowl-shaped fountain at Seattle Center. It's probably just as well, because by
    ride's end my wheel had begun collapsing and was fluttering around almost enough to scrape the frame
    with its new serrated razor edges.

    Some aluminum rims had broken outright, but all the steel rims finished in one piece. At the end of
    the ride, some riders stomped/beat their wheels to death, I suppose as an act of mercy.

    Later, many more beers were drunk in commemoration of the event.

    Chalo Colina

    * "10-9" is radio operator code for "huh?" It is a slogan/mantra of the bike messenger crowd here
    in Seattle.