What I Want More Than Food

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Prairie Roots, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Have any of you seen the article in the January issue of Oprah magazine excerpting the book "Passing
    for Thin"? The book is a memoir by Frances Kuffel about her experience losing nearly 200 lbs. There
    were a few things in the excerpt that resonated with me, and I think I'm going to be looking for the
    book when it's available in a couple of weeks.

    But the thing that struck closest to home was how she came to the decision to undertake and continue
    the weight loss journey. She says, "What you want has to be stronger than what you have, and I
    wanted dignity more than I wanted food."

    I've been trying for a while to articulate for myself what changed in me that I decided to try
    losing weight yet again, that I decided to hope I could succeed, that I feel this time to be
    different from all the other times, that I decided to give myself over to learning about food in a
    way that didn't feel like punishment. I think I just became so disgusted with my "I don't care"
    attitude, tired of hiding behind the size of my own shadow. To wrap all of that up in the word
    "dignity" comes real close to naming my own personal Switch.

    What else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those that cover up my body. I want
    to eat in public without feeling like people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel confident
    about having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories of me as I have of my
    parents and grandparents. I want to try any exercise that looks fun instead of giving up before I
    start because I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in feeling the muscles in my
    legs, the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want to live out loud and not just sit on the
    sidelines. I want to join Match.com and take a chance that I'll meet someone who falls hopelessly in
    love with me. I want to respect myself.

    Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.

    What do you want?
    --
    Prairie Roots
    232/167/WW goal 145

    Tags:

  2. Ray Miller

    Ray Miller Guest

    >What else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those that cover up my body. I want
    >to eat in public without feeling like people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel confident
    >about having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories of me as I have of my
    >parents and grandparents. I want to try any exercise that looks fun instead of giving up before I
    >start because I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in feeling the muscles in my
    >legs, the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want to live out loud and not just sit on the
    >sidelines. I want to join Match.com and take a chance that I'll meet someone who falls hopelessly
    >in love with me. I want to respect myself.
    >
    >Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.
    >
    >What do you want?

    Well said.

    I want to be able to go into sports shops and not think that the guy behind the counter will snigger
    when I leave. To be able to run up two flights of stairs and go straight into a meeting at work
    without them noticing anything wrong I want to see my ribs again I want to jump out of an airplane
    (200 pound limit for most places I've looked at)

    Ray
    --
    rmnsuk overall - 273/209/182

  3. Kate Dicey

    Kate Dicey Guest

    I think you just about hit it squarely with that! There are a LOT of things i want, most of which
    are not food!

    One of the things I REALLY want is to find 'me' again... Now that I'm 30 lbs thinner than I was last
    Christmas & New Year, my friends are starting to say I look more like the girl they knew first 25
    years ago! This is great! And there are 3 more of us who are starting the journey...

    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

  4. Mette

    Mette Guest

    "Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...

    Thank you! This was exactly my mantra when I lost 50 lbs - and thank you for reminding me again!

    I remember sitting in front of my Ex husband who was eating ice cream and just saying "no thank you"
    without hesitation or inner power struggles. Because I knew that getting slimmer was way more
    important to me than the short satisfaction from the flavor of ice cream.

    What do I want now that is more important than food and sweets?

    - I want to see my collarbones once again
    - I want to be able to look proudly into the camera (and look proud when I watch the output)
    - I want my boyfriend to show me off with pride

    - I want to wear my pants again and put on my clothes simply KNOWING it looks great and no
    bulges stick out
    - I want to radiate success
    - I don't want to look like an excuse for myself
    - I want to look and be proud!
    - I want compliments once again - and stares...
    - I want to feel great in my bikini

    There are so many reasons and the most important is the feeling of being confident and proud. I
    know from personal experience that when I am slim, I do so well in all other areas of my life. When
    I am gaining weight I just want to hide, I get lazy and lose all my confidence. But I don't want my
    man to have an unhappy self-conscious girl friend - people like that are a chore being around. I
    want to radiate power, happiness, confidence, pride and success - and when I am thin, that is so
    much easier for me.

  5. Linda J

    Linda J Guest

    Linda, what you want, in a nutshell, that's what I want....except for meeting someone, I'm not there
    emotionally yet, maybe one day.

    Thanks for the post, it really hit home.

    Linda

    From: [email protected] (Prairie=A0Roots) Have any of you seen the article in the January issue of
[...]

  6. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Great post and self-realization. And you have found terrific motivation.

    I wanted to be me again - to not struggle up the trail or on the road biking). I did not like the
    image I saw in store windows.

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:50:45 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Have any of you seen the article in the January issue of Oprah magazine excerpting the book
    >"Passing for Thin"? The book is a memoir by Frances Kuffel about her experience losing nearly 200
    >lbs. There were a few things in the excerpt that resonated with me, and I think I'm going to be
    >looking for the book when it's available in a couple of weeks.
    >
    >But the thing that struck closest to home was how she came to the decision to undertake and
    >continue the weight loss journey. She says, "What you want has to be stronger than what you have,
    >and I wanted dignity more than I wanted food."
    >
    >I've been trying for a while to articulate for myself what changed in me that I decided to try
    >losing weight yet again, that I decided to hope I could succeed, that I feel this time to be
    >different from all the other times, that I decided to give myself over to learning about food in a
    >way that didn't feel like punishment. I think I just became so disgusted with my "I don't care"
    >attitude, tired of hiding behind the size of my own shadow. To wrap all of that up in the word
    >"dignity" comes real close to naming my own personal Switch.
    >
    >What else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those that cover up my body. I want
    >to eat in public without feeling like people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel confident
    >about having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories of me as I have of my
    >parents and grandparents. I want to try any exercise that looks fun instead of giving up before I
    >start because I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in feeling the muscles in my
    >legs, the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want to live out loud and not just sit on the
    >sidelines. I want to join Match.com and take a chance that I'll meet someone who falls hopelessly
    >in love with me. I want to respect myself.
    >
    >Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.
    >
    >What do you want?

  7. Erin Marsh

    Erin Marsh Guest

    wrote:

    >Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.

    Great post PR, very well said.

    >What do you want?

    I want to look and feel young again. I want to wear nice clothes and look good in them. I want to
    have the energy to play with my kids for years to come. Mainly, I want to feel good about myself.

    --
    Erin in NZ
    125/90/75 kgs

    RafL goal 180.6lbs (82 kilos)

    "It is not the mountain we conquer, it is ourselves" Sir Edmund Hilary

  8. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    My wants have changed immensely throughout the journey, have pretty much just settled firm now on
    maintenance. I want to continue feeling good. I want to continue being able to play with my
    grandson, at his level (ground level) ... soon to add another little one to the picture. I do seem
    to be *me* again, old self-confidence level has returned - much to the distress of others. <g> I
    want to have the courage to fight this battle each and every day of my life.

    I want a new belt. <G>

    Joyce

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:50:45 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Have any of you seen the article in the January issue of Oprah magazine excerpting the book
    >"Passing for Thin"? The book is a memoir by Frances Kuffel about her experience losing nearly 200
    >lbs. There were a few things in the excerpt that resonated with me, and I think I'm going to be
    >looking for the book when it's available in a couple of weeks.
    >
    >But the thing that struck closest to home was how she came to the decision to undertake and
    >continue the weight loss journey. She says, "What you want has to be stronger than what you have,
    >and I wanted dignity more than I wanted food."
    >
    >I've been trying for a while to articulate for myself what changed in me that I decided to try
    >losing weight yet again, that I decided to hope I could succeed, that I feel this time to be
    >different from all the other times, that I decided to give myself over to learning about food in a
    >way that didn't feel like punishment. I think I just became so disgusted with my "I don't care"
    >attitude, tired of hiding behind the size of my own shadow. To wrap all of that up in the word
    >"dignity" comes real close to naming my own personal Switch.
    >
    >What else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those that cover up my body. I want
    >to eat in public without feeling like people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel confident
    >about having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories of me as I have of my
    >parents and grandparents. I want to try any exercise that looks fun instead of giving up before I
    >start because I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in feeling the muscles in my
    >legs, the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want to live out loud and not just sit on the
    >sidelines. I want to join Match.com and take a chance that I'll meet someone who falls hopelessly
    >in love with me. I want to respect myself.
    >
    >Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.
    >
    >What do you want?

  9. Connie Walsh

    Connie Walsh Guest

    That was beautiful, PR.

    Personally, I want health more than I want food. I want to not worry about my blood sugar level. I
    want to go back to a regular monthly period. I want to be in decent shape. I want to be able to be
    healthy into my ripe old age to see my kids grow up.

    Connie

    Prairie Roots wrote:
    > Have any of you seen the article in the January issue of Oprah magazine excerpting the book
    > "Passing for Thin"? The book is a memoir by Frances Kuffel about her experience losing nearly 200
    > lbs. There were a few things in the excerpt that resonated with me, and I think I'm going to be
    > looking for the book when it's available in a couple of weeks.
    >
    > But the thing that struck closest to home was how she came to the decision to undertake and
    > continue the weight loss journey. She says, "What you want has to be stronger than what you have,
    > and I wanted dignity more than I wanted food."
    >
    > I've been trying for a while to articulate for myself what changed in me that I decided to try
    > losing weight yet again, that I decided to hope I could succeed, that I feel this time to be
    > different from all the other times, that I decided to give myself over to learning about food in a
    > way that didn't feel like punishment. I think I just became so disgusted with my "I don't care"
    > attitude, tired of hiding behind the size of my own shadow. To wrap all of that up in the word
    > "dignity" comes real close to naming my own personal Switch.
    >
    > What else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those that cover up my body. I
    > want to eat in public without feeling like people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel
    > confident about having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories of me as I
    > have of my parents and grandparents. I want to try any exercise that looks fun instead of giving
    > up before I start because I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in feeling the
    > muscles in my legs, the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want to live out loud and not
    > just sit on the sidelines. I want to join Match.com and take a chance that I'll meet someone who
    > falls hopelessly in love with me. I want to respect myself.
    >
    > Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.
    >
    > What do you want?
    > --
    > Prairie Roots
    > 232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

    --

    Cheers,

    Connie Walsh

    241.5/210.5/155 RAFL 218/210.5/198.5

  10. I want to fit into regular size clothes again, feel good about myself, be happy and healthy and be
    around for my son for a long time yet!
    --
    Brenda
    209/176/150 RafL goal 165

    "Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Have any of you seen the article in the January issue of Oprah magazine excerpting the book
    > "Passing for Thin"? The book is a memoir by Frances Kuffel about her experience losing nearly 200
    > lbs. There were a few things in the excerpt that resonated with me, and I think I'm going to be
    > looking for the book when it's available in a couple of weeks.
    >
    > But the thing that struck closest to home was how she came to the decision to undertake and
    > continue the weight loss journey. She says, "What you want has to be stronger than what you have,
    > and I wanted dignity more than I wanted food."
    >
    > I've been trying for a while to articulate for myself what changed in me that I decided to try
    > losing weight yet again, that I decided to hope I could succeed, that I feel this time to be
    > different from all the other times, that I decided to give myself over to learning about food in a
    > way that didn't feel like punishment. I think I just became so disgusted with my "I don't care"
    > attitude, tired of hiding behind the size of my own shadow. To wrap all of that up in the word
    > "dignity" comes real close to naming my own personal Switch.
    >
    > What else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those that cover up my body. I
    > want to eat in public without feeling like people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel
    > confident about having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories of me as I
    > have of my parents and grandparents. I want to try any exercise that looks fun instead of giving
    > up before I start because I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in feeling the
    > muscles in my legs, the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want to live out loud and not
    > just sit on the sidelines. I want to join Match.com and take a chance that I'll meet someone who
    > falls hopelessly in love with me. I want to respect myself.
    >
    > Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.
    >
    > What do you want?
    > --
    > Prairie Roots
    > 232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  11. Carol In Nc

    Carol In Nc Guest

    Great thread, PR.

    I want the knowledge that I have demanded more of myself, and that I lived up to those demands. I
    want my dignity back. I want to be around when my daughter grows up. I want to be fit and healthy.

    Carol

    318/239.4/169
    78.6 lost since December 2002
    I am a slim person in process.
    "Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Have any of you seen the article in the January issue of Oprah
    > magazine excerpting the book "Passing for Thin"? The book is a memoir
    > by Frances Kuffel about her experience losing nearly 200 lbs. There
    > were a few things in the excerpt that resonated with me, and I think
    > I'm going to be looking for the book when it's available in a couple
    > of weeks.
    >
    > But the thing that struck closest to home was how she came to the
    > decision to undertake and continue the weight loss journey. She says,
    > "What you want has to be stronger than what you have, and I wanted
    > dignity more than I wanted food."
    >
    > I've been trying for a while to articulate for myself what changed in
    > me that I decided to try losing weight yet again, that I decided to
    > hope I could succeed, that I feel this time to be different from all
    > the other times, that I decided to give myself over to learning about
    > food in a way that didn't feel like punishment. I think I just became
    > so disgusted with my "I don't care" attitude, tired of hiding behind
    > the size of my own shadow. To wrap all of that up in the word
    > "dignity" comes real close to naming my own personal Switch.
    >
    > What else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those
    > that cover up my body. I want to eat in public without feeling like
    > people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel confident about
    > having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories
    > of me as I have of my parents and grandparents. I want to try any
    > exercise that looks fun instead of giving up before I start because
    > I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in feeling the
    > muscles in my legs, the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want
    > to live out loud and not just sit on the sidelines. I want to join
    > Match.com and take a chance that I'll meet someone who falls
    > hopelessly in love with me. I want to respect myself.
    >
    > Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.
    >
    > What do you want?
    > --
    > Prairie Roots
    > 232/167/WW goal 145
    > joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  12. I woke up one day and realized that being overweight is the most passive
    form of suicide, and since I believe that is morally wrong I had to do
    everything in my power to prevent it, Lee
    Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Have any of you seen the article in the January issue of Oprah magazine excerpting the book
    > "Passing for Thin"? The book is a memoir by Frances Kuffel about her experience losing nearly 200
    > lbs. There were a few things in the excerpt that resonated with me, and I think I'm going to be
    > looking for the book when it's available in a couple of weeks.
    >
    > But the thing that struck closest to home was how she came to the decision to undertake and
    > continue the weight loss journey. She says, "What you want has to be stronger than what you have,
    > and I wanted dignity more than I wanted food."
    >
    > I've been trying for a while to articulate for myself what changed in me that I decided to try
    > losing weight yet again, that I decided to hope I could succeed, that I feel this time to be
    > different from all the other times, that I decided to give myself over to learning about food in a
    > way that didn't feel like punishment. I think I just became so disgusted with my "I don't care"
    > attitude, tired of hiding behind the size of my own shadow. To wrap all of that up in the word
    > "dignity" comes real close to naming my own personal Switch.
    >
    > What else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those that cover up my body. I
    > want to eat in public without feeling like people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel
    > confident about having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories of me as I
    > have of my parents and grandparents. I want to try any exercise that looks fun instead of giving
    > up before I start because I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in feeling the
    > muscles in my legs, the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want to live out loud and not
    > just sit on the sidelines. I want to join Match.com and take a chance that I'll meet someone who
    > falls hopelessly in love with me. I want to respect myself.
    >
    > Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.
    >
    > What do you want?
    > --
    > Prairie Roots
    > 232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  13. I threw that idea out there just to see if lightning would strike me. It didn't. I'm still here.

    And notice I said I want someone to fall madly hopelessly for ME. I didn't say I wanted a reciprocal
    deal. I've got more work to do... LOL

    I hope home was hit gently.

    Prairie Roots

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 18:22:09 -0500 (EST), [email protected] (Linda J) wrote:

    >Linda, what you want, in a nutshell, that's what I want....except for meeting someone, I'm not
    >there emotionally yet, maybe one day.
    >
    >Thanks for the post, it really hit home.
    >
    >Linda
    >
    >From: [email protected]et (Prairie┬áRoots) Have any of you seen the article in the January issue of Oprah
    >magazine excerpting the book "Passing for Thin"? The book is a memoir by Frances Kuffel about her
    >experience losing nearly 200 lbs. There were a few things in the excerpt that resonated with me,
    >and I think I'm going to be looking for the book when it's available in a couple of weeks. But the
    >thing that struck closest to home was how she came to the decision to undertake and continue the
    >weight loss journey. She says, "What you want has to be stronger than what you have, and I wanted
    >dignity more than I wanted food." I've been trying for a while to articulate for myself what
    >changed in me that I decided to try losing weight yet again, that I decided to hope I could
    >succeed, that I feel this time to be different from all the other times, that I decided to give
    >myself over to learning about food in a way that didn't feel like punishment. I think I just became
    >so disgusted with my "I don't care" attitude, tired of hiding behind the size of my own shadow. To
    >wrap all of that up in the word "dignity" comes real close to naming my own personal Switch. What
    >else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those that cover up my body. I want to
    >eat in public without feeling like people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel confident about
    >having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories of me as I have of my parents
    >and grandparents. I want to try any exercise that looks fun instead of giving up before I start
    >because I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in feeling the muscles in my legs,
    >the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want to live out loud and not just sit on the
    >sidelines. I want to join Match.com and take a chance that I'll meet someone who falls hopelessly
    >in love with me. I want to respect myself. Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I
    >food. What do you want?

  14. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Well, I'm not so sure of your parachute idea (g)

    But the others are good.

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:19:47 GMT, ray miller <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>What else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those that cover up my body. I
    >>want to eat in public without feeling like people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel
    >>confident about having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories of me as I
    >>have of my parents and grandparents. I want to try any exercise that looks fun instead of giving
    >>up before I start because I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in feeling the
    >>muscles in my legs, the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want to live out loud and not
    >>just sit on the sidelines. I want to join Match.com and take a chance that I'll meet someone who
    >>falls hopelessly in love with me. I want to respect myself.
    >>
    >>Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.
    >>
    >>What do you want?
    >
    >Well said.
    >
    >I want to be able to go into sports shops and not think that the guy behind the counter will
    >snigger when I leave. To be able to run up two flights of stairs and go straight into a meeting at
    >work without them noticing anything wrong I want to see my ribs again I want to jump out of an
    >airplane (200 pound limit for most places I've looked at)
    >
    >Ray

  15. Carol In Nc

    Carol In Nc Guest

    I have had those thoughts, too, Lee. I was killing myself in a cowardly way because I didn't like
    the hand I've been dealt. Selfish of me, but that is what it was.

    Carol

    318/239.4/169
    78.6 lost since December 2002
    I am a slim person in process.
    "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I woke up one day and realized that being overweight is the most passive
    > form of suicide, and since I believe that is morally wrong I had to do
    > everything in my power to prevent it, Lee
    > Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Have any of you seen the article in the January issue of Oprah
    > > magazine excerpting the book "Passing for Thin"? The book is a memoir
    > > by Frances Kuffel about her experience losing nearly 200 lbs. There
    > > were a few things in the excerpt that resonated with me, and I think
    > > I'm going to be looking for the book when it's available in a couple
    > > of weeks.
    > >
    > > But the thing that struck closest to home was how she came to the
    > > decision to undertake and continue the weight loss journey. She says,
    > > "What you want has to be stronger than what you have, and I wanted
    > > dignity more than I wanted food."
    > >
    > > I've been trying for a while to articulate for myself what changed in
    > > me that I decided to try losing weight yet again, that I decided to
    > > hope I could succeed, that I feel this time to be different from all
    > > the other times, that I decided to give myself over to learning about
    > > food in a way that didn't feel like punishment. I think I just became
    > > so disgusted with my "I don't care" attitude, tired of hiding behind
    > > the size of my own shadow. To wrap all of that up in the word
    > > "dignity" comes real close to naming my own personal Switch.
    > >
    > > What else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those
    > > that cover up my body. I want to eat in public without feeling like
    > > people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel confident about
    > > having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories
    > > of me as I have of my parents and grandparents. I want to try any
    > > exercise that looks fun instead of giving up before I start because
    > > I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in feeling the
    > > muscles in my legs, the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want
    > > to live out loud and not just sit on the sidelines. I want to join
    > > Match.com and take a chance that I'll meet someone who falls
    > > hopelessly in love with me. I want to respect myself.
    > >
    > > Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.
    > >
    > > What do you want?
    > > --
    > > Prairie Roots
    > > 232/167/WW goal 145
    > > joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  16. never did understand why one would jump out of a perfectly good plane, Lee
    Fred <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I'm not so sure of your parachute idea (g)
    >
    > But the others are good.
    >
    > On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:19:47 GMT, ray miller <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >>What else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those that cover up my body. I
    > >>want to eat in public without feeling like people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel
    > >>confident about having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories of me as I
    > >>have of my parents and grandparents. I want to try any exercise that looks fun instead of giving
    > >>up before I start because I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in feeling the
    > >>muscles in my legs, the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want to live out loud and not
    > >>just sit on the sidelines. I want to join Match.com and take a chance that I'll meet someone who
    > >>falls hopelessly in love with me. I want to respect myself.
    > >>
    > >>Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.
    > >>
    > >>What do you want?
    > >
    > >Well said.
    > >
    > >I want to be able to go into sports shops and not think that the guy behind the counter will
    > >snigger when I leave. To be able to run up two flights of stairs and go straight into a meeting
    > >at work without them noticing anything wrong I want to see my ribs again I want to jump out of an
    > >airplane (200 pound limit for most places I've looked at)
    > >
    > >Ray

  17. Ray Miller

    Ray Miller Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:34:02 -0800, Fred <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Well, I'm not so sure of your parachute idea (g)
    >
    >But the others are good.

    What parachute? They give you a parachute? Oh well thats easy then :)

    Ray

    I'll probably never do it, but maybe
    --
    rmnsuk overall - 273/209/182

  18. odd thing is until that day it never crossed my mind that is what I was
    doing, Lee
    Carol in NC <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have had those thoughts, too, Lee. I was killing myself in a cowardly
    way
    > because I didn't like the hand I've been dealt. Selfish of me, but that
    is
    > what it was.
    >
    > Carol

    > 318/239.4/169
    > 78.6 lost since December 2002 I am a slim person in process.
    > .............................................................. "Miss Violette"
    > > I woke up one day and realized that being overweight is the most passive form of suicide, and
    > > since I believe that is morally wrong I had to do everything in my power to prevent it, Lee
    > > Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Have any of you seen the article in the January issue of Oprah magazine excerpting the book
    > > > "Passing for Thin"? The book is a memoir by Frances Kuffel about her experience losing nearly
    > > > 200 lbs. There were a few things in the excerpt that resonated with me, and I think I'm going
    > > > to be looking for the book when it's available in a couple of weeks.
    > > >
    > > > But the thing that struck closest to home was how she came to the decision to undertake and
    > > > continue the weight loss journey. She says, "What you want has to be stronger than what you
    > > > have, and I wanted dignity more than I wanted food."
    > > >
    > > > I've been trying for a while to articulate for myself what changed in me that I decided to try
    > > > losing weight yet again, that I decided to hope I could succeed, that I feel this time to be
    > > > different from all the other times, that I decided to give myself over to learning about food
    > > > in a way that didn't feel like punishment. I think I just became so disgusted with my "I don't
    > > > care" attitude, tired of hiding behind the size of my own shadow. To wrap all of that up in
    > > > the word "dignity" comes real close to naming my own personal Switch.
    > > >
    > > > What else do I want? I want to wear clothes I like and not just those that cover up my body. I
    > > > want to eat in public without feeling like people are judging or pitying me. I want to feel
    > > > confident about having my picture taken so my granddaughter will have visual memories of me as
    > > > I have of my parents and grandparents. I want to try any exercise that looks fun instead of
    > > > giving up before I start because I'm so self-conscious about my size. I want to delight in
    > > > feeling the muscles in my legs, the ribs in my chest, the bones in my hips. I want to live out
    > > > loud and not just sit on the sidelines. I want to join Match.com and take a chance that I'll
    > > > meet someone who falls hopelessly in love with me. I want to respect myself.
    > > >
    > > > Yeah, that dignity thing. That's what I want more than I food.
    > > >
    > > > What do you want?
    > > > --
    > > > Prairie Roots
    > > > 232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  19. Fred

    Fred Guest

    That may cost extra but you might want to spring for it (G)

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:59:55 GMT, ray miller <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:34:02 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, I'm not so sure of your parachute idea (g)
    >>
    >>But the others are good.
    >
    >What parachute? They give you a parachute? Oh well thats easy then :)
    >
    >Ray
    >
    >I'll probably never do it, but maybe

  20. you cracked me up, Lee
    news:[email protected]...