What If There Are 2 Contenders On Same Team In Tour De France?

JamesAA

Aug 10, 2013
Suppose there are two riders on the same team that are neck and neck in total time near the end. Do they compete against each other??? I've only been watching the tour for a few years and all I know is that teams do everything they can to help each other, so I was wondering what would happen if two top riders were on the same team.

Wiggins and Froome?

Evans and Van Garderen the year Evans won?

Reactions: haleylx4
JamesAA said:
Suppose there are two riders on the same team that are neck and neck in total time near the end. Do they compete against each other??? I've only been watching the tour for a few years and all I know is that teams do everything they can to help each other, so I was wondering what would happen if two top riders were on the same team.

Wiggins and Froome?

Evans and Van Garderen the year Evans won?

Exactly Froome could have won easily but he got paid to support not win. In the event the protected GC rider gets hurt or cracks the strategy can change.

I haven't watched the Tour-de-France much but in the situation you said about, I should imagine they would race against eachother in a sporting way giving everything they have left, providing there was no way to jeopardise the teams win or team orders dictate otherwise.

If you want to know what happens when a team has two contenders and no clear leader, read "Slaying the Badger", or watch it on You Tube. The story of the 1986 Tour. Two all time greats, LeMond and Hinault, and only an informal "handshake agreement" from the year before establishing who was the leader. Plus a team manager who played both ends against the middle.

mpre53 said:
If you want to know what happens when a team has two contenders and no clear leader, read "Slaying the Badger", or watch it on You Tube. The story of the 1986 Tour. Two all time greats, LeMond and Hinault, and only an informal "handshake agreement" from the year before establishing who was the leader. Plus a team manager who played both ends against the middle.
I saw it. Very interesting! I thank you for that.