What in the name of jesus f. christ is this fork?

Volnix

Feb 19, 2011
I hacked the quill as it was never gonna move...

Surprise!!! It doesn't have a wedge... Man! Or a quill, or anything it looks one f@ckin piece.

Wtf is it? I killed it? How did they put it there?

Fanks :)

1463473550679875820740.jpg

Did you try repeated heat (propane torch...not too hoot) and cold cycles (freezer for 24 hours) with doses of penetrating Kroil Oil in between? No?

Tell me you did NOT hack saw through the fork steerer tube.

The middle item...is that the top race of the headset?

Now that you have cut the stem, you can drill out the remaining portion of the stem and expander plug. And trust us, once upon a time that stem did have an expander plug at the bottom of that screw. Be VERY careful when drilling out the remainder of the stem. Use a drill press or a mill and a mill vise with 'V' inserts / jaws.

Mr. Electrolysis is not our friend. An aluminum stem inside a steel steerer tube and using a steel expander plug is a recipe for corrosion unless properly greased or coated in anti-seize compound.

Did you try repeated heat (propane torch...not too hoot) and cold cycles (freezer for 24 hours) with doses of penetrating Kroil Oil in between? No?

Tell me you did NOT hack saw through the fork steerer tube.

The middle item...is that the top race of the headset?

Now that you have cut the stem, you can drill out the remaining portion of the stem and expander plug. And trust us, once upon a time that stem did have an expander plug at the bottom of that screw. Be VERY careful when drilling out the remainder of the stem. Use a drill press or a mill and a mill vise with 'V' inserts / jaws.

Mr. Electrolysis is not our friend. An aluminum stem inside a steel steerer tube and using a steel expander plug is a recipe for corrosion unless properly greased or coated in anti-seize compound.

I tried cycles of beer and music to prepare my self psychologically to work on this masterpiece of Velo Coutoure. . :D

It doesn't have an expander wedge
.. It's loco!

That would be the bearing race yes. The whole stem, fork tube, is one piece, with mucho threading on top... Wait:

(The last one is wild mint, you should sooo plant some ;) )

20160517_142739.jpg
20160517_142725.jpg
20160517_142712.jpg
20160517_142704.jpg
20160517_142658.jpg
20160516_111745.jpg

It doesn't have an expander wedge

Maybe not, but once upon a time the long, vertical screw attached to an expander plug. 'Something' that expanded inside the steerer tube kept the stem locked in pace.

And 'what' is that curled piece of metal that is visible inside the steerer tube that is shown in the bottom view of the fork?

Maybe not, but once upon a time the long, vertical screw attached to an expander plug. 'Something' that expanded inside the steerer tube kept the stem locked in pace.

And 'what' is that curled piece of metal that is visible inside the steerer tube that is shown in the bottom view of the fork?

Yep.. ;) it's the only place where there is some kind of separation in the material.

Can the whole thing be bolted between the fork blades?

The steerer tube goes aaaall the way up, and then it's stem! :D

(It was soaking for 3 months in WD666, didn't move.. )

Last edited:
I'm just guessing here, but I think that curled piece of metal should be left in place. It's probably or at least possibly a reinforcing piece to keep the steerer tube and crown from being deformed by overzealous torque on the nut that holds the front brake caliper onto the fork.

Note that it is drilled for the brake mounting bolt, as is the steerer tube and crown.

I'm just guessing here, but I think that curled piece of metal should be left in place. It's probably or at least possibly a reinforcing piece to keep the steerer tube and crown from being deformed by overzealous torque on the nut that holds the front brake caliper onto the fork.

Note that it is drilled for the brake mounting bolt, as is the steerer tube and crown.

I left the fork aside for the moment as a 1.5eur wire brush drill bit is giving me sweet sweet entertainment... Only one small dent so far... ;)

Even if I wanted to remove the curled bit it's frozen good in there. No idea what it is...

So it's freaky nein? Can you see any connection between fork steerer tube and sten-quill? :D

Oh man Phelippe the Franco Italian burned me good! :D

I tried cycles of beer and music to prepare my self psychologically to work on this masterpiece of Velo Coutoure...It doesn't have an expander wedge.

There was a rare wedgeless quill stem found on low end a few Raleigh bikes and maybe on some others but Raleigh is the only one I know that used them, I think, but don't quote me on this since it's been a very long time since I've seen one, but they used a special headset made in the UK but can't recall the brand, Raleigh may have had their name stamped on it but I seriously doubt they made it. They used a headclip which were threaded combined with the clip prevented and headset from loosening and securing the quill without a wedge. I think they were for 1 inch headtubes and used 1/8th inch bearings but there may have been other sizes and I may be wrong on the sizes since it's been a long time.

I have no idea on how to work on them, I had a friend that showed me one that he had because it was so odd from all his other bikes.

These were quite rare in America but common back in the 50's in the UK. You may want to check with UK E-Bay for this sort of thing if you want to replace it.

Oh I replaced it.. I hacked it of and got a new (for me) one from the LBS...

The LBS also told me that there was a wedge in there once.. but it eventually got merged with the steerer tube...

Which btw has another Apocrypha Sign stamped on it.. but at least it's a normal threaded one..

Have no idea what brand it is... When I get back home I might take a picture of the logo and axe-you-a-question. ;)

Dunno.. the whole thing looked solid to me... But then again I don't have sniper vision... Or a microscope...

I should get a microscope though for the ganja.. :D

New fork looks sweet! This bike.. when ready.. is gonna be the Alley-ist of the cats! :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
20161206_121219.jpeg
20161104_001655_BEST.jpeg