What (in your opinion) is the best bike in the world?

I'm hoping it's the Moots Vamoots . . . 'cuz I just slapped down a whole lot of money for one :D

And to think...you could have had a Ghisallo, Ultimate, Vortex....

neil0502 said:
Alright, I give . . . why would those have been better bikes?
Have you checked 'em out at all? At the prices you have to spend, you have many choices.

Definatley my Trek 1200. Smooth bike and nice and light compared to my older Supercycle, which was the best bike int he wolr when I was 12.

Wurm said:
Have you checked 'em out at all? At the prices you have to spend, you have many choices.

The list of manufacturers I checked out--in person where I could; by reputation and inquiry where I couldn't--included: LeMond, Trek, Litespeed, Cannondale, Specialized, Merlin, Klein, Pinarello, Masi, Eddy Merckx, Colnago, Moots, Roark, Kish, Hampsten, Parlee, Strong, IF, Holland, Calfee, Waterford, Anvil, Seven, Russ Denny, Hunter, Sachs, Fondriest, Orbea, Land Shark, Wilier, Gunnar, Rivendell, Steelman, Griffen, Sampson, Sycip, Steve Rex, Bilenky, Look, Spectrum, Serotta, and Viner.

You're absolutely right: many, many choices, and--for the most part--none of them poor. One criteria that I used (that quickly winnowed the field down) was that I was unwilling to buy a bike that I had never seen (seen an example of, anyway).

This might be a good topic for this forum: Would you buy a bike from a manufacturer whose frames you've never seen in person? If so, how do you choose which frame builder?

neil0502 said:
Would you buy a bike from a manufacturer whose frames you've never seen in person? If so, how do you choose which frame builder?
"Dat iss a veddy goot qvestion, Herr Neil!" ;) You took a pretty good selection of mfg's to start with anyway.

I don't like to put that much jingle into any frame/wheels/groups that I can't seriously check out and actually get my hands on in person. It's alwys better to ride the stuff, if not at least see it with your own eyes to know what you're getting

As you know, sometimes it's next to impossible to do that with much of it. Most LBS' just don't have a lot of different high-zoot products in stock, unless you don't mind travelling to find it.

Sometimes you almost are forced to take it on "faith", read whatever you can find on the particular item, and ask other roadies that may have used it. It isn't easy sifting through all of the biases and hogwash out there.

For me, it's been a lot of trial & error, and sometimes expensive mistakes. Example: the last Ti frame I bought I didn't ride before I bought it ('00 Tuscany), and I put what I thought would be a great fork on it (Wound-Up), but as it turned out the fork was way too stiff & harsh for the frame & the geom.

Every frame/fork after that I made sure I rode it, or one nearly identical to it, before buying. The Columbus Zona-tubed rig I have now turned out well for me that way.

What made your mind up in favor of the Moots?

Wurm said:
What made your mind up in favor of the Moots?

Also a good question.

After all the "research," after talking to all the local dealers that I could, and after applying all the criteria that I could, I had it down to two frame builders: Moots and Roark.

On the way, though, I noticed that every builder I talked with--even those who were really trying hard to talk me into buying their product--had universally positive things to say about Moots.

It's one thing to have owners who spent a bundle saying that they love what they bought. It's another when the builders compliment the competition.

Can't wait to ride it . . . then buy my next one :)

neil0502 said:
I'm hoping it's the Moots Vamoots . . . 'cuz I just slapped down a whole lot of money for one :D

Hmm...would be a 59cm Vamoots? If it's not your dream bike.................... can I have it?

RC2 said:
Hmm...would be a 59cm Vamoots? If it's not your dream bike.................... can I have it?

It's a 59cm. What was that other question again?? ;)

Once I get that bad boy (next Friday, with luck), and get a few miles on it, I'll post a first-impression ride report. It'll take me that long to come up with terms like supple, compliant, stiffness, torsional rigidity, dampening, quickness, "as if on rails," etc.

neil0502 said:
It's a 59cm. What was that other question again?? ;)

Once I get that bad boy (next Friday, with luck), and get a few miles on it, I'll post a first-impression ride report. It'll take me that long to come up with terms like supple, compliant, stiffness, torsional rigidity, dampening, quickness, "as if on rails," etc.

I'm assuming you saw the extensive Vamoots review that was in one of last month's major cycling publications (which I can not remember, not Velo news, maybe Roadie or Pro Cycling???).

RC2 said:
I'm assuming you saw the extensive Vamoots review that was in one of last month's major cycling publications (which I can not remember, not Velo news, maybe Roadie or Pro Cycling???).

No (he exclaimed, wide-eyed and panting just a touch), and I can't seem to find it online anywhere.

Any more info?? I'd be most grateful. Called Moots in Steamboat Springs to ask them, but they're already gone for the weekend :-\

neil0502 said:
Called Moots in Steamboat Springs to ask them, but they're already gone for the weekend :-\
And why? They've gotten your money and the par-tay's on! ;)

Wurm said:
And why? They've gotten your money and the par-tay's on! ;)

They're a well-respected boutique bike builder, living in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. The party was on long before they got my money :D

Go to your bookstore and see if it's still around, it was about a month ago. The wife has been through the magazine stack since reading the article... sorry. It was a great, longish review w/lotsa pictures, too bad. Oh well, waiting is half the fun right?

RC2 said:
It was in roadie

Neil- you will not be disappointed with the Vamoots. I bought a Moots Smoothie sight unseen in 01. Fantastic bike. When I got into road riding I bought a Litespeed. Within 6 months (after I got completely hooked on the roadie thing) I sold the Litespeed and bought a Vamoots sight unseen in 03. No regrets- it's a pure joy to ride. Last winter we skied Steamboat and detoured to the Moots factory. Got a great tour, met many of the guys and saw bike construction in progess. Left Moots, went down the street and ordered a Moots Smoothie Al for my wife at Sore Saddle. My wife now understands the Moots soul about which she often heard me spout. Enjoy the new ride!

neil0502 said:
No (he exclaimed, wide-eyed and panting just a touch), and I can't seem to find it online anywhere.

Any more info?? I'd be most grateful. Called Moots in Steamboat Springs to ask them, but they're already gone for the weekend :-\

Moots faxed me a copy of it. Pure effusive praise. It was Roadie--Winter '04.

Thanks for the reference!

TiLee said:
Neil- you will not be disappointed with the Vamoots. I bought a Moots Smoothie sight unseen in 01. Fantastic bike. When I got into road riding I bought a Litespeed. Within 6 months (after I got completely hooked on the roadie thing) I sold the Litespeed and bought a Vamoots sight unseen in 03. No regrets- it's a pure joy to ride. Last winter we skied Steamboat and detoured to the Moots factory. Got a great tour, met many of the guys and saw bike construction in progess. Left Moots, went down the street and ordered a Moots Smoothie Al for my wife at Sore Saddle. My wife now understands the Moots soul about which she often heard me spout. Enjoy the new ride!

Thanks, Ti-

My LBS waited a day or two too long to place the order. Now I'm on hold for two (loooong) weeks while they weld mine (artistry does not oft happen quickly). At least I get a pump peg out of the deal :)

I'd love to tour the factory on my next CO trip. Those who have talk of it like some sort of quasi-religious experience.

I signed up for California's Solvang Century. Should have had the bike for about a week prior. I'll use the C as the shakedown cruise.

neil0502 said:
Thanks, Ti-

My LBS waited a day or two too long to place the order. Now I'm on hold for two (loooong) weeks while they weld mine (artistry does not oft happen quickly). At least I get a pump peg out of the deal :)
While you're at it with the pump peg, maybe you should have them spot on a chain-hanger on the inside of the right seat stay. Very handy when changing wheels or cleaning. My '03 Raleigh Professional (Columbus Zona Megatube) has both, plus braze-on front derailleur.

The best of the past, with the new-tech of today.