What inspired you to learn

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Underdog, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Uni_bear

    Uni_bear Guest

    My 12 year old daughter asked for one for her birthday
    last year, and I thought it looked like a really
    interesting thing to do. I found a beater Schwinn and
    after about four hours of trying I was hooked. Now my 12
    year old twins and I find any excuse we can to go riding
    together. Just a great sport - and a killer workout that
    can be done almost anywhere.

    --
    uni_bear
    uni_bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6516

  2. Jjuggle

    Jjuggle Guest

    wobbling bear wrote:
    > *he started performing with a rope he secured between
    > two trees.
    >
    > ever received a coin that went 10 storeys down?-)
    >
    > *
    I used to sit up in one of the trees in the park Petit used
    to secure his rope. I threw money down to him, although I
    wasn't up that high.
    :)

    Raphael Lasar Matawan, NJ

    --
    JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

    '6th Annual LBI Unithon - Sat, June 5, 2004'
    (http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon)

    *Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball!*
    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  3. Jjuggle

    Jjuggle Guest

  4. Uniwitold

    Uniwitold Guest

  5. Jayne Za

    Jayne Za Guest

    Scott Kurland, RMT wrote:
    > *If were to vote on which comes next, I don't think lace
    > would make the cut.* -Originally posted by harper- *Jayne,
    > I'm going to go with Scott on this one. Skip the tatting
    > and go straight to the shaking.* -Originally posted by U-Turn-
    > *I'll vote too to make 3.*

    I thought I'd let you know that I went to my first bely
    dancing lesson last night. What can I say but OW! I
    obviously made more use of certain bits than I have in a
    long time. If I keep this up I should have buns of steel
    within a few months. Learning to unicycle wasn't nearly as
    painful as this! They are both lots of fun though. :D

    On a unicycling note I found a basketball court! Once it
    stops getting dark so early I'll take the coker along when
    Michael goes to his karate lessons. The classes are in the
    same Recreation Centre. I didn't actually know where it was
    (it's about 3km from where I live, but kind of secluded
    behind an enclosed suburb and one way streets).

    Jayne

    --
    Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

    Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  6. Little_lizzy

    Little_lizzy Guest

    I was inspired to learn after my father said "don't worry if you can't
    do it... only clowns can unicycle"
    I found one in my brother in laws house and after dad said that I didn't
    get off until I could do it!!!
    :D

    --
    little_lizzy
    little_lizzy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6252

  7. Jayne Za

    Jayne Za Guest

    Klaas Bil wrote:
    > *On Thu, 20 May 2004 12:35:24 -0500, "Jayne ZA" wrote:
    >
    > >my first bely dancing lesson
    > If that should read *belly dancing*, that's what my
    > brother does semi-professionally. But he's careful never
    > to call it that, he says "Oriental dancing".
    >
    > >Learning to unicycle wasn't
    > Another typo? *isn't*?
    >
    > >Once it stops getting dark so early
    > Ha, now you live on the wrong hemisphere. *

    OK. The first one was a typo, it should be belly dancing.
    That's what the teacher calls it and who am I to argue? The
    second wasn't a typo. I meant that I was in no pain at all
    after my first go on the coker and have yet to be in as much
    discomfort as I was yesterday due to unicycling. Cut me some
    slack on the typo - I wrote this at 5:30 in the morning -
    I'd just woken up!

    I might be in the wrong hemisphere as far as getting dark
    early goes, but at least my midday temperatures are still 21
    deg C. :cool:

    Jayne

    --
    Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

    Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  8. Kraze

    Kraze Guest

    I decided to learn because I need something productive to
    occupy my time. Also, it seems like there are a lot of
    unicyclists in Washington, so by the time I get back,
    assuming I finally get it down somewhat, I can go riding
    with others in the area.

    --
    kraze - Army Of One Wheel

    Post proelia praemia.
    kraze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6583

  9. Jayne ZA wrote:

    > Since my divorce I have tried to learn something new every
    > year and I still needed to fit in my "new thing" for 2003.
    > I actually wound up learning to juggle (sort of) and
    > unicycling became my "new thing" to learn for this year.
    > It was either that or belly dancing or bobbin lace making
    > but I might fit those in later.

    If were to vote on which comes next, I don't think lace
    would make the cut.

    > What inspired me to learn on a Coker - Sheer Bloody
    > Mindedness!

    I was tricked by Darren Peterson.

    > he told me that no woman had learned to ride on one and
    > that he knew of only one other person who had learned on
    > one, Scott Kurland. What sane person could turn down such
    > a challenge?

    All of the sane ones turned down the challenge, Jayne. ;-)

    > seems a good point to mention that I have red hair and my
    > starsign is Taurus - everybody seems to think that they
    > both have some bearing on my decision)

    I'm Taurus.

    > The rest, as they say, is history. I still can't ride the
    > Coker, but I'm getting there, and now my 4YO daughter
    > wants to learn to ride too.

    My huskies watch from a safe distance, like behind the
    fence.

  10. Jayne ZA wrote:
    > Scott Kurland, RMT wrote:
    >> *All of the sane ones turned down the challenge,
    >> Jayne. ;-)*
    >
    > That's what they TELL themselves, but we know better! ;)

    > Scott Kurland, RMT wrote:
    >> *My huskies watch from a safe distance, like behind the
    >> fence. *
    >
    > OK - am I the only one getting a vision of Scott, on the
    > Coker, being pulled along by a team of sled dogs while
    > yelling "Mush"?
    >
    > Jayne

    No, but I'm not that crazy yet. I don't think I'll ever be
    crazy enough to yell "MUSH!" to them while on a unicycle.
    30 mph, anyone? Taking them out for a 10 mph stroll,
    though... someday, if they can get over their not
    unreasonable fear of Grendel.

  11. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 12:35:24 -0500, "Jayne ZA" wrote:

    >my first bely dancing lesson
    If that should read *belly dancing*, that's what my brother
    does semi-professionally. But he's careful never to call it
    that, he says "Oriental dancing".

    >Learning to unicycle wasn't
    Another typo? *isn't*?

    >Once it stops getting dark so early
    Ha, now you live on the wrong hemisphere.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
    post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

  12. John_childs

    John_childs Guest

    I can't remember exactly why I decided I wanted to learn to
    ride a unicycle. The credits for the TV show "Welcome Back
    Kotter" most likely got the idea in my head. The credits
    show a kid riding a unicycle down the street. Other than
    "Welcome Back Kotter" I hadn't really seen any unicycling by
    anyone who was not a professional performer. Welcome Back
    Kotter was one of my favorite sitcoms of that era
    (Gilligan's Island was of course my most favorite even
    though it was in reruns for 13 years at that point).

    Anyways, I ended up asking for a unicycle for Christmas way
    back when I was 13. I didn't get one because dad thought I
    would never learn to ride it. I kept asking for one and
    found a used Schwinn for sale in the Nickel Ads classifieds.
    A couple weeks after Christmas I finally got my unicycle --
    A used 20" Schwinn with cottered cranks.

    I'm going to have to find "Welcome Back Kotter" on DVD so I
    can watch the credits again and say thanks to the kid on
    the unicycle.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  13. Jjuggle

    Jjuggle Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *I'm going to have to find "Welcome Back Kotter" on DVD so
    > I can watch the credits again and say thanks to the kid on
    > the unicycle. *
    John, as you may recall, David Stone actually got to do that
    in person. 'Here' (http://tinyurl.com/342oc).

    Cheers, Raphael Lasar Matawan, NJ

    --
    JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

    '6th Annual LBI Unithon - Sat, June 5, 2004'
    (http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon)

    *Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball!*
    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  14. Johnfoss

    Johnfoss Guest

    The Welcome Back Kotter guy may have had some influence
    on me as well. I don't remember if that show came before
    or after the time period where I was attempting to ride
    the Troxel.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
    because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

  15. John_childs

    John_childs Guest

    JJuggle wrote:
    > *John, as you may recall, David Stone actually got to do
    > that in person. 'Here' (http://tinyurl.com/342oc).
    >
    > Cheers, Raphael Lasar Matawan, NJ *

    Cool! Now I can say thanks to Thomas Pennell by name. :)

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  16. Jayne Za

    Jayne Za Guest

    I have to answer this question in two parts.

    What inspired me to learn to unicycle - In about October
    last year I was driving to work, listening to the radio.
    They were doing some silly "swap shop" thing and Dave (GILD)
    phoned in to ask if anybody had any unicycles lying round as
    they are pretty hard to get hold of here in South Africa. I
    didn't catch his phone number but finally managed to track
    him down via the internet, mostly due to this board. Since
    my divorce I have tried to learn something new every year
    and I still needed to fit in my "new thing" for 2003. I
    actually wound up learning to juggle (sort of) and
    unicycling became my "new thing" to learn for this year. It
    was either that or belly dancing or bobbin lace making but I
    might fit those in later.

    What inspired me to learn on a coker - Sheer Bloody
    Mindedness! When I started looking for a unicycle (Nov / Dec
    2003) nowhere had any. After some nasty experiences with
    bike shop clerks who don't understand the meaning of "in
    stock" and the "due date" for the arrival of new stock
    moving later and later I was just about ready to call it
    quits when I had a dual stroke of good fortune. I was
    promoted at work and Dave's friend Craig put his second hand
    coker up for sale. I had enough spare cash that first month
    to buy the coker, so I did. I was going to lend it to Dave
    and borrow his 20 to learn on, but then he told me that no
    woman had learned to ride on one and that he knew of only
    one other person who had learned on one, Scott Kurland. What
    sane person could turn down such a challenge? (This seems a
    good point to mention that I have red hair and my starsign
    is Taurus - everybody seems to think that they both have
    some bearing on my decision)

    The rest, as they say, is history. I still can't ride the
    coker, but I'm getting there, and now my 4YO daughter wants
    to learn to ride too.

    Jayne

    --
    Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

    Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  17. Carjug

    Carjug Guest

  18. Harper

    Harper Guest

    In 1963, I read an article in Popular Mechanics or Mechanics
    Illustrated entitled, "How to Build and Ride a Unicycle." I
    got one for my 11th birthday in 1963. Now, if I could just
    learn to ride the thing(s).

    --
    harper - Statuesque

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "Stoke your own thread as much as you see fit, no problem." - Klaas
    Bil

    "Ugh, the Harpers; The worst neighbours in the world" - Tony Micelli

  19. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    harper wrote:
    > *Jayne, I'm going to go with Scott on this one. Skip the
    > tatting and go straight to the shaking. *
    I'll vote too to make 3.

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  20. Gumbo

    Gumbo Guest

    I always get some cash at christmas, even the one before
    last at the ripe old age of 28. I thought that that year, I
    would buy something a bit silly instead of slowly drinking
    away the cash.

    One thng that sprang to mind was a power kite, but when I
    went to the shop I found that they seemed a bit pricey for
    my christmas cash budget. They did however have a couple of
    unis in the shop, so I came home, did some interwebnet
    research, and bought my first one from Roger.

    Bought the second one a month or so ago.

    So, 17 months or so down the line I'm loving it.

    I'm also Taurus, cue a poll to see if a pattern on
    that emerges.

    --
    Gumbo
    Gumbo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3258