what is a good bag for taking clothes to work without wrinkling them

Cory

Guest
Hello,

I am currently beggining to ride my bike to work. I can only ride my bike to work 3 days a week
right now because I have to wear neatly pressed clothes at work, so I have to bring all my clothes
for work to work on monday, and then bring them home again on friday using my vehicle. Can anyone
reccomend a good bag I can mount on a rear rack that will allow me to take my clothes to work on the
back of my bike?

thanks in advance

Don't know about bags, but thry this:

Buy more clothes, enough so you can drive 4 days worth in on Wednesday morning and drive 4 days
worth of laundry home that evening. Then you can ride Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday with a
rest break on Wednesday.

Cory wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am currently beggining to ride my bike to work. I can only ride my bike to work 3 days a week
>right now because I have to wear neatly pressed clothes at work, so I have to bring all my clothes
>for work to work on monday, and then bring them home again on friday using my vehicle. Can anyone
>reccomend a good bag I can mount on a rear rack that will allow me to take my clothes to work on
>the back of my bike?
>
>thanks in advance

It's similar for me. I work at a sales agency and must look businesslike too. I generally load
work clothes every other day, and leave my polished black shoes at work most of the time. That
means I go to work Monday with a complete set of shirt, pants, socks , underwear and maybe a wool
vest in my pannier. My clothes aren't "crisp" but they are businesslike, and pass muster with
management. Wednesday I bring a fresh set and again om Friday. I take laundry home on days when I
have my panniers on the bike. That means at least 2 days a week I can ride with only a lunch bag
to deal with.

Must confess, I am tired of commuting with weights on my bike. I want to fly weightless and fast!
Life is too short to ride carrying gear! Best regards, Bernie

Cory wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am currently beggining to ride my bike to work. I can only ride my bike to work 3 days a week
>right now because I have to wear neatly pressed clothes at work, so I have to bring all my clothes
>for work to work on monday, and then bring them home again on friday using my vehicle. Can anyone
>reccomend a good bag I can mount on a rear rack that will allow me to take my clothes to work on
>the back of my bike?
>
>thanks in advance

Oh Hey!
PS: Sorry I forgot your original question. Use what works for you. I see panniers, b ackpacks, etc.
I like my Axiom panniers, made of good tough synthetic, c/w rain covers. Cost around $100 CAD.
Get comfy and good quality rain gear so you can enjoy the winter commutes. (I assume you live
sensibly on the wet coast where extreme cold is not to be considered) :) Best regards, Bernie

I leave all of my 'work' clothes at work in a locker, shoes and all. We have a dry-cleaning service
come by everyday to pick and drop off on the same day with dry-cleaning my clothes it still costs me
less then a bus ticket and I havent ironed a shirt in about 18 months :) I only carry my underwear
with me on the bike and use panniers if I want to take my laptop home otherwise if I'm feeling
spritely I can take the roadie and leave the commuter at home.

Cheers Gary

news:[email protected]...

Cory wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently beggining to ride my bike to work. I can only ride my bike to work 3 days a week
> right now because I have to wear neatly pressed clothes at work, so I have to bring all my clothes
> for work to work on monday, and then bring them home again on friday using my vehicle. Can anyone
> reccomend a good bag I can mount on a rear rack that will allow me to take my clothes to work on
> the back of my bike?
>
> thanks in advance

I just bring a fresh shirt and underwear every day. New pair of pants and a clean towel on mondays.
Leave my shoes at work. To keep pants and shirts fairly fresh I roll them up.I carry everything in a
Camelbak M.U.L.E. ( 5 liters)

When I need to bring more stuff like Gym clothes and tennis shoes I use my Camelbak TransAlp ( 27
liters )and plenty of small bags to stuff wet training clothes in.

The main reason I use my Camelbaks even for commuting, 12 km each way, is because they are made for
cycling and I don't really feel them on my back. I usually don't bother carrying water in them when
commuting this distance. Sometimes on warm days I'll bring a bottle.

--
Perre

[email protected] (Cory) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone reccomend a good bag I can mount on a rear rack that will allow me to take my clothes
> to work on the back of my bike?

There are some specialed suit case panniers, but I find a lap-top bag on top of the rack works
well. It has a zipper around three sides, so neatly folded clothes can be kept flat. My shoes stay
at the office.

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:54:55 -0700, Cory wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently beggining to ride my bike to work. I can only ride my bike to work 3 days a week
> right now because I have to wear neatly pressed clothes at work, so I have to bring all my clothes
> for work to work on monday, and then bring them home again on friday using my vehicle. Can anyone
> reccomend a good bag I can mount on a rear rack that will allow me to take my clothes to work on
> the back of my bike?
>
> thanks in advance

I don't use them since my workplace is quite casual, but i have seen the following garment bags
suggested:

http://www.twowheelgear.com/

[email protected] (Cory) wrote:

> I am currently beggining to ride my bike to work. I can only ride my bike to work 3 days a week
> right now because I have to wear neatly pressed clothes at work,

That's a pity; sounds like the problem is your employer and not your transportation.

Why not go to a vintage store and load up on '70s-era leisure suits that wouldn't wrinkle if you
stuffed them into a coffee can? ;^)

Chalo Colina

>>>there are some specialed suit case panniers, but I find a lap-top
bag on top of the rack works well

If you're interested, Arkel makes a laptop pannier in their Urban Series called the Briefcase where
the attachment system can be hidden by a large velcro flap when not on the bike. I love mine, but it
ain't cheap. There's not much room for clothes, though, if you're actually taking a computer with
you. I have a locker at the office and I usually only carry a new shirt and socks, etc. daily, and
make a "clothes run" with a fresh towel and the pants and jackets once a week. I use regular
panniers for that. You cand find the Briefcase at http://bicyclebags.com.