what is a good brand/model of helmets?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dbleoh7, Jun 9, 2006.

1. dbleoh7

dbleoh7 New Member

I recently wiped out pretty hard on my mountain bike and decided i need a helmet. My top price that I can pay is US$90 as my mom will be purchasing it. I do not live in a large city so i dont have a big selection on helmets. I like the fit of the Bell Influx and a few people told me that they like Giros. Do Giros and Bells fit the same?? I really like the looks of a few of the MET helmets but dont know how they fit because no shops in town carry them. How do METs fit compared to the Bells? Anyone have suggestions on a brand and model of helmet to get?:confused:

Tags:

2. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Protection wise I don't think there's much difference. The best one for you will have the best fit for your head. Some models have different kinds of buckles and strap adjustments and the cheaper ones are more difficult to adjust. Giro fits me the best but their headband strap is kind of flimsy and one of mine that was only three years old broke for no reason:

Photo

3. tetsuryuu

tetsuryuu New Member

I think the Giro Monza is a pretty good helmet and is roughly in your price range...

4. Stanners77

Stanners77 New Member

Specialized Decibel for mine...

5. RickF

RickF New Member

Giros and Bells do not fit the same. I do not remember which is which, but one fits round heads better, and the other fits oblong heads better. Bottom line is to find one that is comfortable. There is no difference in the protection afforded by any of the major brands, but they do need to fit correctly. Helmets and Shoes are the two things I do not buy online (unless I am replacing a model that I have used before). For me, the Trek helmet fit best, but everyone's head is a little different.

6. dbleoh7

dbleoh7 New Member

I live in a smaller sized city which only has a smaller sporting goods store and an even smaller bike shop, so they only carry specialized and trek helmets. The trek helmets dont fit my head and the specialized ones i think are ugly. my friend has a bell influx which fits my head perfectly, so i think that all bells probably fit the same. is this right? the bell influx is a little bulky and ugly looking and would like to get a nicer one than that

7. meehs

meehs New Member

Yeah, I think that's right. Bells all fit pretty much the same and Giros all fit pretty much the same. I know that Bells work best for me and Giros don't fit me as well. Specialized helmets don't fit me very well at all. Bottom line is you really have to try them on and find the brand (and that brand's size) that works best for you. Once you do that you can feel pretty comfortable purchasing from a website or catalog. I know I need a large Bell and I did purchase my last two off of the internet with no problems.

8. John M

John M New Member

I also agree that Bells and Giros fit differently, and that all Bells pretty much fit the same (I have had at least 5 different models over the years-usually replace every 5 years or so). Currently I have a Bell Alchera that I bought from Nashbar for $45 on clearance and it is working very well for me. If your friends Bell fits you well, you can probably shop around online and make a choice of any Bell that you can get at a good price.

All of the helmets are kind of bulky but the road models (no visor) are generally a little more streamlined appearing.

9. warrenIsAnIdiot

Have you heard of reflectek? This is a REALLY good helmet.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4347463
    Due to the reflective qualities of the helmet in addition to good aerodynamics this helmet provides optical speed advantages. Due to the reflective qualities of the helmet it throws back light that would otherwise be a hindrance on other riders making them slower and you faster.

10. dbleoh7

dbleoh7 New Member

I am thinking about geting either the bell influx, bell ghisallo, or the bell sweep r. I don't think that I need the visor on my helmet because i ride in the evenings while the sun is setting. i like the looks of the sweep and ghisallo: they look like they have more of a profiled fit, not big and egg looking like the influx would be. does anyone out there know how these helmets compare

11. lwedge

lwedge New Member

The Sweep is a bit pricey for the quality as stated in the review.
    Here are some reviews to look at and thumbs up for your mom for making sure you take care of your noggin.

By the way, the visor is removable on the Influx. It just pops off.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Helmet/product_88976.shtml

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/clothing/helmets/bell/PRD_145791_1636crx.aspx

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/clothing/helmets/Bell/PRD_340587_1636crx.aspx

12. Slider77

Slider77 New Member

As a sidebar related to the above reviews:
    Does anyone know of any on-line vendors that stock replacement pad sets for Bell helmets?

13. janiejones

janiejones New Member

I have used a lot of helmets and was recently given a Met - and it's the only helmet that I've felt really comfortable wearing. But, we all have different shaped heads - the best thing you can do is go with the one that fits best.

14. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

I hear good things about the fit of them. Pity that they won't sell them here in the U.S.

15. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Yeah, MET is the helmet that I use and have done so for the past 6 years.
    (changed them twice).

I have a GIRO too but the MET helmet is the better fit for me.
    Having said that I had a bad fall last year wearing a Giro and it protected me very well.

16. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Here's why: http://www.met-helmets.com/rivenditori/Distributori.jsp?zona=8&idana=1087

I have always used Limar or Gyro and the helmets would always feel a little tight on the front of my head. One day early this year I walked into my LBS and woke the guy up behind the counter (it was snowing that day and not much going on). I talked to him about my problem and he pulls out a Bell Triton and puts it on my head, within a flash he adjusted the helmet with the thumb wheel in back and I said "I'll take it!". Fit's absolutely perfect.

lw