What is a good helmet for a bike commuter?

Last Place Pete

Apr 9, 2011
Do "urban" helmets offer more protection than "road" helmets, or just different styling? I'm going to be commuting by bike (about 7mi/rt) on roads where traffic can get a bit on the heavy side from time to time. If I'm going to be wearing a heavier helmet, I'd rather it protect my melon more than just look pretty..

Thanks!

-Pete

If you flip the helmet over you'll be able to read what standard it's tested to, and basically two helmets both pledging allegiance to the same standard should offer the same level of protection.
I'd be quite wary of a supplier claiming to offer more protection than requested by the standard - how would that be proven?

There's a small functional difference in that road helmets may offer better ventilation, but otherwise it's mainly styling.
More dedicated riders might want to match their helmets to the color scheme of their bikes and their riding clothes, so there's a wider market for strong colors.

They all seem to offer the same level of protection if they are tested with the same standard. But some helmets (the bmx or skate ones usually) are good for more then one "uses" (crashes /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif). Some also have expiration dates. I think its a good idea to try to find one that fits so well so that you can wear it without troubling you /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif.

Aha the great bicycle helmet debate. I have had cheep one and not so cheep ones and I don't see much difference. Find one that fits comfortably and go for it. Of course that works for me and others may have other ideas.

If you use a cheap helmut and cheap bike people will think your poor. Buy a good helmut and some status!

Originally Posted by JTE83 .

If you use a cheap helmut and cheap bike people will think your poor. Buy a good helmut and some status!
Indeed. Fast group rides in this area are structured by the cost of your helmet and perceived disposable income. Good advice!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

You're rediculous, "buy a good helmut and some status". Riding an expensive bike doesn't give you status if you don't know how to ride it. Don't be a douche, buy a helmet that fits right, you like, and makes your wallet happy.

Originally Posted by JTE83 .

Buy a good helmut and some status!
A "good" helmet, or an "expensive" helmet. There are some good helmets available for < $50. Big bucks does not equal better protection. I second that vote for the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute, great info.

Any helmet that you are happy with, but make sure that they conform to standards set by one of the standard testing companies: ASTM, ANSI, Snell, CPSC, or CEN. This will normally be noted on the packaging and also inside of the helmet.. . .

tonyzackery said:
Quote: Originally Posted by JTE83 .

Indeed. Fast group rides in this area are structured by the cost of your helmet and perceived disposable income. Good advice!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
Haha. Too funny.