What is a good mountain bike for all around off road riding?

curlfin80

Nov 3, 2004
hey, i am going to buy a new bike in the 400-800 dollar range, and i am wandering what a nice all-around mountain bike would be. i wouldn't do any huge jumps or anything like that. mainly cross-country with average jumps and downhills.

curlfin80 said:
hey, i am going to buy a new bike in the 400-800 dollar range, and i am wandering what a nice all-around mountain bike would be. i wouldn't do any huge jumps or anything like that. mainly cross-country with average jumps and downhills.
are there any particular brands your interested in ? theres just too many brands, though most of them have some pretty decent bikes...

i am thinking about buying a Kona or GT bike.

moparchris said:
are there any particular brands your interested in ? theres just too many brands, though most of them have some pretty decent bikes...

hiya.

i'm currently on a specialized fsr xc pro disc. cost in uk £1299 (about $900). its not a bad bike somes with rear fox float triad and xt rear (upgraded to xt throughout), wheels are mavic x117 and a bit too flexible but all in all a good all-rounder, alternatively i've had an epic pro which was perfect for xc (until it was nicked), a kona kikapu deluxe which was great and a gt i.drive which weighed a ton. all i,d say is my current is good and full suss, otherwise look at kona, they're pretty mint and ride well.
laters
sid

i say a good bike for you would be a trek 6700 I have beat the snot out of mine for the last year 1/2 and it has never let down and the newer ones like 2005 are very nice you can get a 2005 trek 6700 w/ hayes nine hydraulic disk for around 850.00 at lbs or less off ebay. I am even thinking about trading mine in and buying a new one with disk.And trek is really good with warranty. my friend bought a 6700 and somehow he managed to crack the frame .....anyways they gave him a brand new 8000 frame very nice.well thats all I have to say.

My mount is a new 2004 Cannondale Jekyll 800 Sobe (green and yellow). However, in your price range, I would highly recommend one of the lesser Jekylls like a 600. It should be in your price range. Although it might not come with a Lefty Max, you'll still benefit from the Fox Pro Rl rear shock, along with the Hayes disk brakes, and other fine features of an unusually high quality American made product. Good luck in your quest.

Jim