What is a good speed for a novice?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by martinlross, Jul 3, 2003.

1. coolworx

coolworx New Member

That's about right.... in my experience - and if ya drop the bar ends, and use them as 'dropbars' in the headwinds, you can even manage '10 in 30' with a MTB matched with roadies.

2. Spider1977

Spider1977 New Member

Just like some of these guys I've been off the bike for 20 years apart from a few casual rides on a beat up old MB. Inspired by TdeF and particularly the man who writes books about other things than bikes, I bought a Gitane Mach 1800 last week. I rode the 8km to the rowing sheds averaging 24kph. Relatively flat along a commuter bike track. Went out in the scull for a 7km paddle in rough water - so I had to row pretty easy with HR about 145. Got on the bike and went home into a head wind but could only get up to about 20 kph (tired but not buggered at the end). Still I felt good. I'm planning on riding the 14km to work and back most days. When days get longer I'll also go for a paddle on the way at least 5 mornings per week.

It's great being in my 40's and getting fit again. All you young 20 somethings don't waste your time wondering. Get on yer bike and have a go. Don't have any what ifs when you get to my age.

I'm aiming to have a go in the Tasmania Winter Challenge with a few work mates on August 17, so I'm going to have to get fit quick. So I'm going to hit the road big time in the next few weeks.

martin, I'll dream about riding in Scotland