What is a manometer?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Risto Varanka, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

  3. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    It is indeed a pressure measuring device. It does so by lifting a liquid column, frequently water,
    and so indicates directly in units of length of fluid lifted (mm_H2O, in_Hg et cetera).

    It would not be convenient to use a manometer to measure pressures typical of tire pressures.

    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.bike-components.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=244_80&products _id=2311&language=en

    > --
    > Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

  4. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 16 Apr 2003 21:49:36 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >What's a manometer?

    A translation error.

    >Some kind of device to measure tyre pressure?

    It _compares_ two pressures, usually (a U tube manometer) by using a tall U -shaped tube filled with
    a liquid. For tyre pressures, even using mercury, this thing would be the size of a house !

  5. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

  6. Drew Steen

    Drew Steen Guest

    It's a pressure measuring device -- typically, manometers function by balancing the difference in
    internal and external pressures against the force required to elevate some fluid. That's the
    chemistry definition -- this product just seems to be a tire pressure guage (unless my high school
    German is decieving me!)

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What's a manometer? Some kind of device to measure tyre pressure?

    http://www.bike-components.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=244_80&products _id=2311&language=en

    > --
    > Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

  7. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    Yes it is a pressure measuring device.

    It pretty much consists of a U shaped tube, mounted aginst a marked scale,partially filled with
    fluid. One end of the U tube is open to atmosphere and the other end is connected via hose to the
    pressure you are trying to measure. As the pressure increases the fluid moves inside a U tube and
    the amount this moves is visually measured by reading the scale the U tube is mounted on.

    Hope my description is clear

    peter

  8. [email protected] wrote:
    : Risto Varanka writes:

    :: http://www.bike-components.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=244_80&products_id=2311&language=en

    : filled tube whose fluid rises with increasing pressure. What the web site shows and describes is a
    : tire pump for which they make glowing claims that don't ring true.

    It has got some pretty good user reviews. What I wonder why they sell a version with gauge and
    without it - thought gauge was supposed to be standard on this model (though not so accurate)? Well
    maybe I should ask them... :)

  9. Andy Dingley <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > On 16 Apr 2003 21:49:36 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >> What's a manometer?

    > A translation error.

    >> Some kind of device to measure tyre pressure?

    > It _compares_ two pressures, usually (a U tube manometer) by using a tall U -shaped tube filled
    > with a liquid. For tyre pressures, even using mercury, this thing would be the size of a house !

    Manometer implies a precision laboratory-grade instrument much like chronometer implies a more
    percise instrument than a clock. At least in medical fields aneroid manometers are more common
    than mercury ones though mercury spygmomanometers have the advantage that they are accurate and
    don't wear out.

    1 mmHg or torr is 0.019PSI so a 120PSI would be 6316 mmHg. To measure this with a mercury
    manometer would require a tall one but it would not have to be large. A few years ago I gave away
    a bottle of mercury. If I still had it I might attempt to make such a device. I don't think it
    would be practical for daily tire checking though it might be nice to check the accuracy of my
    tire pressure gauges.

    best, Bruce
    --
    Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Progrrammer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company