What is a manometer?

It is indeed a pressure measuring device. It does so by lifting a liquid column, frequently water,
and so indicates directly in units of length of fluid lifted (mm_H2O, in_Hg et cetera).

It would not be convenient to use a manometer to measure pressures typical of tire pressures.

news:[email protected]...

http://www.bike-components.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=244_80&products _id=2311&language=en

On 16 Apr 2003 21:49:36 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>What's a manometer?

A translation error.

>Some kind of device to measure tyre pressure?

It _compares_ two pressures, usually (a U tube manometer) by using a tall U -shaped tube filled with
a liquid. For tyre pressures, even using mercury, this thing would be the size of a house !

It's a pressure measuring device -- typically, manometers function by balancing the difference in
internal and external pressures against the force required to elevate some fluid. That's the
chemistry definition -- this product just seems to be a tire pressure guage (unless my high school
German is decieving me!)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What's a manometer? Some kind of device to measure tyre pressure?

http://www.bike-components.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=244_80&products _id=2311&language=en

> --
> Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

Yes it is a pressure measuring device.

It pretty much consists of a U shaped tube, mounted aginst a marked scale,partially filled with
fluid. One end of the U tube is open to atmosphere and the other end is connected via hose to the
pressure you are trying to measure. As the pressure increases the fluid moves inside a U tube and
the amount this moves is visually measured by reading the scale the U tube is mounted on.

Hope my description is clear

peter

[email protected] wrote:
: Risto Varanka writes:

:: http://www.bike-components.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=244_80&products_id=2311&language=en

: filled tube whose fluid rises with increasing pressure. What the web site shows and describes is a
: tire pump for which they make glowing claims that don't ring true.

It has got some pretty good user reviews. What I wonder why they sell a version with gauge and
without it - thought gauge was supposed to be standard on this model (though not so accurate)? Well
maybe I should ask them... :)

Andy Dingley <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> On 16 Apr 2003 21:49:36 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>> What's a manometer?

> A translation error.

>> Some kind of device to measure tyre pressure?

> It _compares_ two pressures, usually (a U tube manometer) by using a tall U -shaped tube filled
> with a liquid. For tyre pressures, even using mercury, this thing would be the size of a house !

Manometer implies a precision laboratory-grade instrument much like chronometer implies a more
percise instrument than a clock. At least in medical fields aneroid manometers are more common
than mercury ones though mercury spygmomanometers have the advantage that they are accurate and
don't wear out.

1 mmHg or torr is 0.019PSI so a 120PSI would be 6316 mmHg. To measure this with a mercury
manometer would require a tall one but it would not have to be large. A few years ago I gave away
a bottle of mercury. If I still had it I might attempt to make such a device. I don't think it
would be practical for daily tire checking though it might be nice to check the accuracy of my
tire pressure gauges.

best, Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Progrrammer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company