What is a Solid State Emmiter?

On Jun 15, 12:33 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Does anyone know what a solid state emitter is? Is it an LED? Is it
> like an LED?
>
> http://www.vetta.com/Product_Lights_nMini.htm

Yep, it's an LED.

Maybe the term "solid state emitter" harkens back to the days when
transistor based electronics came on the market and where brands
wanted you to know your TV or whatever was "solid state" and turned on
right away rather than having to warm up.

Maybe with bike lights, they're playing up the solid state for
durability against vibration and impacts, as well as not having to
"warm up" (as HID lights do).

On Jun 15, 11:46 am, Victor Kan <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 15, 12:33 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know what a solid state emitter is? Is it an LED? Is it
> > like an LED?

> >http://www.vetta.com/Product_Lights_nMini.htm

> Yep, it's an LED.
>
> Maybe the term "solid state emitter" harkens back to the days when
> transistor based electronics came on the market and where brands
> wanted you to know your TV or whatever was "solid state" and turned on
> right away rather than having to warm up.
>
> Maybe with bike lights, they're playing up the solid state for
> durability against vibration and impacts, as well as not having to
> "warm up" (as HID lights do).

Thanks guys!

It's hard to know for sure, because no technical specs are given. But my
first impression is some marketing bozo is looking for a way to distinguish
his product from other LED lights by using the term "emitter" instad of
"light emitting diode". IMHO, more "buycycling" hype.

However, Luxeon was one of the fist to successfully market high-intensity
LED's, many of their products were designed to conveniently replace
flashlight bulbs. Google for Luxeon and it should become apparent. Perhaps
a "Super Lux" is some marketing bozo's attempt way of saying it's a
Luxeon-style LED.

One thing for sure, LED lights will only get better in the future, as
high-intensity technology (and optics) continue to both improve and come
down in price.

Mike Lackey
Madison, AL

news:[email protected]...

Mike Lackey wrote:
> It's hard to know for sure, because no technical specs are given. But my
> first impression is some marketing bozo is looking for a way to distinguish
> his product from other LED lights by using the term "emitter" instad of
> "light emitting diode". IMHO, more "buycycling" hype.
>
> However, Luxeon was one of the fist to successfully market high-intensity
> LED's, many of their products were designed to conveniently replace
> flashlight bulbs. Google for Luxeon and it should become apparent. Perhaps
> a "Super Lux" is some marketing bozo's attempt way of saying it's a
> Luxeon-style LED.
>
> One thing for sure, LED lights will only get better in the future, as
> high-intensity technology (and optics) continue to both improve and come
> down in price.
>
> Mike Lackey
> Madison, AL
>

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Does anyone know what a solid state emitter is? Is it an LED? Is it
>> like an LED?
>>
>> http://www.vetta.com/Product_Lights_nMini.htm
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> alan.

I found one bike site that was selling 3 watt single LED lights. Too bad
the top 2 were proprietary batteries, but there were 3 or 4 more that
used AA's, and NiMH rechargeable are not that hard to find. I use a
Cat-Eye with 5 LEDs and 4 AA rechargeable batteries. The NiMH only put
out about 1.2 volts and the Alkaline 1.5 volts so there will be a light
output issue, but my Cat-Eye is bright enough unless you want to be a
fast night rider, something I have learned not to do in the country or
on bad roads.
Bill Baka

"Mike Lackey" <[email protected]> writes:

> It's hard to know for sure, because no technical specs are given. But my
> first impression is some marketing bozo is looking for a way to distinguish
> his product from other LED lights by using the term "emitter" instad of
> "light emitting diode".

But a diode only has an anode and a cathode, have they actually come
up with a light-emitting (garden-variety) transistor? No, I didn't
think so either. (Also, I'd like to see a vacuum tube LED, as opposed
to solid state. Ok, the heater does glow a bit, but that's about as
effective as using a cigarette as a light.)

A R:nen wrote:
> "Mike Lackey" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> It's hard to know for sure, because no technical specs are given. But my
>> first impression is some marketing bozo is looking for a way to distinguish
>> his product from other LED lights by using the term "emitter" instad of
>> "light emitting diode".

> But a diode only has an anode and a cathode, have they actually come
> up with a light-emitting (garden-variety) transistor? No, I didn't
> think so either.

actually, /all/ semicons emit light when they conduct, you just don't
usually get to see it because of the casing. and it's usually in the
infra-red spectrum.

> (Also, I'd like to see a vacuum tube LED, as opposed
> to solid state.

??? bizarre!

> Ok, the heater does glow a bit, but that's about as
> effective as using a cigarette as a light.)

you're not clear on the concept of what an led actually is.

Vacuum tube LED = Nixie tube.

http://www.amug.org/~jthomas/watch.html

You may not be able to see where you're going, but you'll know the time.

Mike Lackey
Madison, AL

news:[email protected]...

Mike Lackey wrote:
> Vacuum tube LED = Nixie tube.
>
> http://www.amug.org/~jthomas/watch.html

now /that/ is rad!

jim beam wrote:

> actually, /all/ semicons emit light when they conduct, you just don't
> usually get to see it because of the casing. and it's usually in the
> infra-red spectrum.

I'm afraid you're quite wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led :

"The wavelength of the light emitted, and therefore its colour, depends
on the band gap energy of the materials forming the p-n junction. In
silicon or germanium diodes, the electrons and holes recombine by a
non-radiative transition which produces no optical emission, because
these are indirect band gap materials. The materials used for an LED
have a direct band gap with energies corresponding to near-infrared,
visible or near-ultraviolet light."

Mike Lackey wrote:
> It's hard to know for sure, because no technical specs are given. But my
> first impression is some marketing bozo is looking for a way
> to distinguish his product from other LED lights by using the term
> "emitter" instad of "light emitting diode". IMHO, more "buycycling"
> hype.
> However, Luxeon was one of the fist to successfully market
> high-intensity LED's, many of their products were designed to
> conveniently replace flashlight bulbs. Google for Luxeon and it
> should become apparent. Perhaps a "Super Lux" is some marketing
> bozo's attempt way of saying it's a Luxeon-style LED.
>
> One thing for sure, LED lights will only get better in the future, as
> high-intensity technology (and optics) continue to both improve and
> come down in price.

Luxeon is so last-generation. Check out Cree XR-Es. 60 lumens per watt at
1W? That's in the high range of fluorescent.

--
Phil

nixie! once upon, there was a vacuum tube emitting green light. for
example, the closer to resonance with whatever, russian sub, american
destroyer-the greener the tube became! far out no?
during this period, immediately following the Cambrian, Asian
languages failed exceeding surfaces technical translation, especially
the south koreans, exceeding LV standup comedy surfaces from jungle
jims to atom bomb assembly and ridiculed widely but mostly by the
British who had moved to california. Chinese is not immune but
pandemic, control is apparently violent.

On Jun 16, 7:50 pm, datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
> nixie! once upon, there was a vacuum tube emitting green light. for
> example, the closer to resonance with whatever, russian sub, american
> destroyer-the greener the tube became! far out no?
> during this period, immediately following the Cambrian, Asian
> languages failed exceeding surfaces technical translation, especially
> the south koreans, exceeding LV standup comedy surfaces from jungle
> jims to atom bomb assembly and ridiculed widely but mostly by the
> British who had moved to california. Chinese is not immune but
> pandemic, control is apparently violent.

INDEED!

Peter Cole wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>> actually, /all/ semicons emit light when they conduct, you just don't
>> usually get to see it because of the casing. and it's usually in the
>> infra-red spectrum.

> I'm afraid you're quite wrong.

no, i'm quite right. re-read my post. "light" isn't just visible.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led :
>
> "The wavelength of the light emitted, and therefore its colour, depends
> on the band gap energy of the materials forming the p-n junction. In
> silicon or germanium diodes, the electrons and holes recombine by a
> non-radiative transition which produces no optical

note: OPTICAL.

> emission, because
> these are indirect band gap materials. The materials used for an LED
> have a direct band gap with energies corresponding to near-infrared,
> visible or near-ultraviolet light."

that's why i said infra-red. normal semiconductors emit in infra-red.
with chemistry, you can tune the band gap to optical energies, and thus
get visible emissions. but you don't do that for standard semicons!
look up the band gap energies and correlate them to emission spectrum.

jim beam wrote:
> A R:nen wrote:
>> "Mike Lackey" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> It's hard to know for sure, because no technical specs are given.
>>> But my first impression is some marketing bozo is looking for a way
>>> to distinguish his product from other LED lights by using the term
>>> "emitter" instad of "light emitting diode".

>> But a diode only has an anode and a cathode, have they actually come
>> up with a light-emitting (garden-variety) transistor? No, I didn't
>> think so either.

> actually, /all/ semicons emit light when they conduct, you just don't
> usually get to see it because of the casing. and it's usually in the
> infra-red spectrum.
>

>> (Also, I'd like to see a vacuum tube LED, as opposed
>> to solid state.

> ??? bizarre!
>
>> Ok, the heater does glow a bit, but that's about as
>> effective as using a cigarette as a light.)

> you're not clear on the concept of what an led actually is.

A vacuum tube LED is called a light bulb, except for the fact that it
does not use a vacuum but an inert gas so as to not oxidize the filament.
LED's are made up of all kinds of strange mixes of elements and rarely
use that much, if any, Silicon. There are Gallium-Arsenide,
Indium-Gallium-Arsenide, and enough to give me a headache just trying to
remember the combinations. There are even LASER LEDs made on big metal
heat sinks. Just Google LED manufacturers if you want an instant
headache. I work in electronics and gave up trying to memorize
everything over ten years ago. As the Internet matured, so did the
information overload. No one person, engineer, Einstein or not, can
possibly track all the stuff being done these days.
Just think of a light buld where the filament is NOT Tungsten.
Bill Baka

jim beam wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:
>>
>>> actually, /all/ semicons emit light when they conduct, you just don't
>>> usually get to see it because of the casing. and it's usually in the
>>> infra-red spectrum.

>> I'm afraid you're quite wrong.

> no, i'm quite right. re-read my post. "light" isn't just visible.
>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led :
>>
>> "The wavelength of the light emitted, and therefore its colour,
>> depends on the band gap energy of the materials forming the p-n
>> junction. In silicon or germanium diodes, the electrons and holes
>> recombine by a non-radiative transition which produces no optical

> note: OPTICAL.
>
>> emission, because these are indirect band gap materials. The materials
>> used for an LED have a direct band gap with energies corresponding to
>> near-infrared, visible or near-ultraviolet light."

> that's why i said infra-red. normal semiconductors emit in infra-red.
> with chemistry, you can tune the band gap to optical energies, and thus
> get visible emissions. but you don't do that for standard semicons!
> look up the band gap energies and correlate them to emission spectrum.

Hey, guys....
Heat is infra-red. Extremely infra-red becomes ultra high frequency
radio waves. The different colors of LEDs are due to the band-gap
energies involved in the chemical cocktail used to make the LED.
Each blend puts out light in a very narrow, almost spike, wavelength.
Red is around 750nM and Blue near UV is around 400nM, or 0.4 microns.
The human eye (retina) can detect down to 300nM but the lens cuts out
the light up to about 400nM. I didn't look this up, but Isaac Asimov
mentioned that a friend had cataract surgery and could see shades of
purple that others could only imagine. It was in the preface of one of
his sci-fi books around 1960. He was not only a writer but a real
professor, so I think that one would prove to be true. Finding a
reference might be a bit rough, but the Opthalmology association should
mention it somewhere.
Super high frequency radio == infra-red.
Super infra-red == ultra UHF radio.
Simple?
Bill Baka

datakoll wrote:
> nixie! once upon, there was a vacuum tube emitting green light. for
> example, the closer to resonance with whatever, russian sub, american
> destroyer-the greener the tube became! far out no?
> during this period, immediately following the Cambrian, Asian
> languages failed exceeding surfaces technical translation, especially
> the south koreans, exceeding LV standup comedy surfaces from jungle
> jims to atom bomb assembly and ridiculed widely but mostly by the
> British who had moved to california. Chinese is not immune but
> pandemic, control is apparently violent.

??????????????????????????
Bill Baka

Bill wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> A R:nen wrote:

>>> But a diode only has an anode and a cathode, have they actually come
>>> up with a light-emitting (garden-variety) transistor? No, I didn't
>>> think so either.

>> actually, /all/ semicons emit light when they conduct, you just don't
>> usually get to see it because of the casing. and it's usually in the
>> infra-red spectrum.
>>

>>> (Also, I'd like to see a vacuum tube LED, as opposed
>>> to solid state.

>> ??? bizarre!
>>
>>> Ok, the heater does glow a bit, but that's about as
>>> effective as using a cigarette as a light.)

>> you're not clear on the concept of what an led actually is.

> A vacuum tube LED is called a light bulb

eh? incandescent filament bears as much resemblance to led as the
workings of an internal combustion engine do to nuclear fission. the
physics are /totally/ different.

>, except for the fact that it
> does not use a vacuum but an inert gas so as to not oxidize the filament.
> LED's are made up of all kinds of strange mixes of elements and rarely
> use that much, if any, Silicon. There are Gallium-Arsenide,
> Indium-Gallium-Arsenide, and enough to give me a headache just trying to
> remember the combinations. There are even LASER LEDs made on big metal
> heat sinks. Just Google LED manufacturers if you want an instant
> headache. I work in electronics and gave up trying to memorize
> everything over ten years ago. As the Internet matured, so did the
> information overload. No one person, engineer, Einstein or not, can
> possibly track all the stuff being done these days.

except that it's all searchable. and readable. if you can be bothered
before pronouncing in a way that evidences neither have been attempted.

http://www.centennialbulb.org/