What is a Solid State Emmiter?

jim beam wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>>
>> A vacuum tube LED is called a light bulb

> eh? incandescent filament bears as much resemblance to led as the
> workings of an internal combustion engine do to nuclear fission. the
> physics are /totally/ different.

That was a put on, as in joke. A triode is like a vacuum mode FET.
Depletion mode, but the same general idea. Make a cascode circuit with a
BJT on top and you have a fair imitation of a pentode. I am not trying
to be a serious source of information here.

>> , except for the fact that it does not use a vacuum but an inert gas
>> so as to not oxidize the filament.
>> LED's are made up of all kinds of strange mixes of elements and rarely
>> use that much, if any, Silicon. There are Gallium-Arsenide,
>> Indium-Gallium-Arsenide, and enough to give me a headache just trying
>> to remember the combinations. There are even LASER LEDs made on big
>> metal heat sinks. Just Google LED manufacturers if you want an instant
>> headache. I work in electronics and gave up trying to memorize
>> everything over ten years ago. As the Internet matured, so did the
>> information overload. No one person, engineer, Einstein or not, can
>> possibly track all the stuff being done these days.

> except that it's all searchable. and readable. if you can be bothered
> before pronouncing in a way that evidences neither have been attempted.

Out of a few dozen manufacturers who are all searching for the Holy
Grail of LEDs, there are probably a few dozen combinations of elements
that can be induced to produce some kind of light. I still have about
200 basic red LEDs from the 1970's that my employer gave to me when they
were cleaning house for "Inventory tax time". I have a key chain light
that uses a 1998 super bright (at the time) LED and a lithium battery
that a salesman gave to me at work, and it still works.

>> Just think of a light buld where the filament is NOT Tungsten.

> http://www.centennialbulb.org/

I heard of one in the firehouse in Palo Alto or somewhere in the Silicon
Valley area that had been on for over 100 years as of 1990 something.
Is that it?

BTW, the white LEDs in my Cat-Eye lamp run at 3.3 volts rather than the
typical 1.4 volts of the more common LEDs. Even that may not be safe to
say as geometries and compositions change seemingly week by week.
Bill Baka

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:47:20 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>jim beam wrote:
>> Peter Cole wrote:

>>> I'm afraid you're quite wrong.

>> no, i'm quite right. re-read my post. "light" isn't just visible.
>>

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led :
>>>
>>> "The wavelength of the light emitted, and therefore its colour,
>>> depends on the band gap energy of the materials forming the p-n
>>> junction. In silicon or germanium diodes, the electrons and holes
>>> recombine by a non-radiative transition which produces no optical

>> note: OPTICAL.
>>
>>> emission, because these are indirect band gap materials. The materials
>>> used for an LED have a direct band gap with energies corresponding to
>>> near-infrared, visible or near-ultraviolet light."

>> that's why i said infra-red. normal semiconductors emit in infra-red.
>> with chemistry, you can tune the band gap to optical energies, and thus
>> get visible emissions. but you don't do that for standard semicons!
>> look up the band gap energies and correlate them to emission spectrum.

>Hey, guys....
>Heat is infra-red. Extremely infra-red becomes ultra high frequency
>radio waves. The different colors of LEDs are due to the band-gap
>energies involved in the chemical cocktail used to make the LED.
>Each blend puts out light in a very narrow, almost spike, wavelength.
>Red is around 750nM and Blue near UV is around 400nM, or 0.4 microns.
>The human eye (retina) can detect down to 300nM but the lens cuts out
>the light up to about 400nM. I didn't look this up, but Isaac Asimov
>mentioned that a friend had cataract surgery and could see shades of
>purple that others could only imagine. It was in the preface of one of
>his sci-fi books around 1960. He was not only a writer but a real
>professor, so I think that one would prove to be true. Finding a
>reference might be a bit rough, but the Opthalmology association should
>mention it somewhere.
>Super high frequency radio == infra-red.
>Super infra-red == ultra UHF radio.
>Simple?
>Bill Baka

Billy can regurgitate without knowledge, obviously.

Bill wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Peter Cole wrote:

>>> I'm afraid you're quite wrong.

>> no, i'm quite right. re-read my post. "light" isn't just visible.
>>

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led :
>>>
>>> "The wavelength of the light emitted, and therefore its colour,
>>> depends on the band gap energy of the materials forming the p-n
>>> junction. In silicon or germanium diodes, the electrons and holes
>>> recombine by a non-radiative transition which produces no optical

>> note: OPTICAL.
>>
>>> emission, because these are indirect band gap materials. The
>>> materials used for an LED have a direct band gap with energies
>>> corresponding to near-infrared, visible or near-ultraviolet light."

>> that's why i said infra-red. normal semiconductors emit in infra-red.
>> with chemistry, you can tune the band gap to optical energies, and
>> thus get visible emissions. but you don't do that for standard
>> semicons! look up the band gap energies and correlate them to emission
>> spectrum.

> Hey, guys....
> Heat is infra-red. Extremely infra-red becomes ultra high frequency
> radio waves. The different colors of LEDs are due to the band-gap
> energies involved in the chemical cocktail used to make the LED.
> Each blend puts out light in a very narrow, almost spike, wavelength.
> Red is around 750nM and Blue near UV is around 400nM, or 0.4 microns.
> The human eye (retina) can detect down to 300nM but the lens cuts out
> the light up to about 400nM. I didn't look this up, but Isaac Asimov
> mentioned that a friend had cataract surgery and could see shades of
> purple that others could only imagine. It was in the preface of one of
> his sci-fi books around 1960. He was not only a writer but a real
> professor, so I think that one would prove to be true. Finding a
> reference might be a bit rough, but the Opthalmology association should
> mention it somewhere.
> Super high frequency radio == infra-red.
> Super infra-red == ultra UHF radio.
> Simple?
> Bill Baka

If you ever opened the back of an old valve radio you would see that the
rectifier valves do indeed glow, and therefore are in the visible
spectrum of light, and they rectify, which makes them diodes, light
emitting diodes.

Friday

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:13:35 +0800, Friday <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Bill wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:

>>> no, i'm quite right. re-read my post. "light" isn't just visible.

>>> note: OPTICAL.

>>> that's why i said infra-red. normal semiconductors emit in infra-red.
>>> with chemistry, you can tune the band gap to optical energies, and
>>> thus get visible emissions. but you don't do that for standard
>>> semicons! look up the band gap energies and correlate them to emission
>>> spectrum.

>> Hey, guys....
>> Heat is infra-red. Extremely infra-red becomes ultra high frequency
>> radio waves. The different colors of LEDs are due to the band-gap
>> energies involved in the chemical cocktail used to make the LED.
>> Each blend puts out light in a very narrow, almost spike, wavelength.
>> Red is around 750nM and Blue near UV is around 400nM, or 0.4 microns.
>> The human eye (retina) can detect down to 300nM but the lens cuts out
>> the light up to about 400nM. I didn't look this up, but Isaac Asimov
>> mentioned that a friend had cataract surgery and could see shades of
>> purple that others could only imagine. It was in the preface of one of
>> his sci-fi books around 1960. He was not only a writer but a real
>> professor, so I think that one would prove to be true. Finding a
>> reference might be a bit rough, but the Opthalmology association should
>> mention it somewhere.
>> Super high frequency radio == infra-red.
>> Super infra-red == ultra UHF radio.
>> Simple?
>> Bill Baka

>If you ever opened the back of an old valve radio you would see that the
>rectifier valves do indeed glow, and therefore are in the visible
>spectrum of light, and they rectify, which makes them diodes, light
>emitting diodes.
>
>Friday

I think not. They glow only because of voltage used to produce the
heat to make the thing work, the actual diode function is independent
of the current that produces the light emission.

R Brickston wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:13:35 +0800, Friday <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Bill wrote:

>>> Hey, guys....
>>> Heat is infra-red. Extremely infra-red becomes ultra high frequency
>>> radio waves. The different colors of LEDs are due to the band-gap
>>> energies involved in the chemical cocktail used to make the LED.
>>> Each blend puts out light in a very narrow, almost spike, wavelength.
>>> Red is around 750nM and Blue near UV is around 400nM, or 0.4 microns.
>>> The human eye (retina) can detect down to 300nM but the lens cuts out
>>> the light up to about 400nM. I didn't look this up, but Isaac Asimov
>>> mentioned that a friend had cataract surgery and could see shades of
>>> purple that others could only imagine. It was in the preface of one of
>>> his sci-fi books around 1960. He was not only a writer but a real
>>> professor, so I think that one would prove to be true. Finding a
>>> reference might be a bit rough, but the Opthalmology association should
>>> mention it somewhere.
>>> Super high frequency radio == infra-red.
>>> Super infra-red == ultra UHF radio.
>>> Simple?
>>> Bill Baka

>> If you ever opened the back of an old valve radio you would see that the
>> rectifier valves do indeed glow, and therefore are in the visible
>> spectrum of light, and they rectify, which makes them diodes, light
>> emitting diodes.
>>
>> Friday

> I think not. They glow only because of voltage used to produce the
> heat to make the thing work, the actual diode function is independent
> of the current that produces the light emission.

indeed.

R Brickston wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:13:35 +0800, Friday <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Bill wrote:

>>> Hey, guys....
>>> Heat is infra-red. Extremely infra-red becomes ultra high frequency
>>> radio waves. The different colors of LEDs are due to the band-gap
>>> energies involved in the chemical cocktail used to make the LED.
>>> Each blend puts out light in a very narrow, almost spike, wavelength.
>>> Red is around 750nM and Blue near UV is around 400nM, or 0.4 microns.
>>> The human eye (retina) can detect down to 300nM but the lens cuts out
>>> the light up to about 400nM. I didn't look this up, but Isaac Asimov
>>> mentioned that a friend had cataract surgery and could see shades of
>>> purple that others could only imagine. It was in the preface of one of
>>> his sci-fi books around 1960. He was not only a writer but a real
>>> professor, so I think that one would prove to be true. Finding a
>>> reference might be a bit rough, but the Opthalmology association should
>>> mention it somewhere.
>>> Super high frequency radio == infra-red.
>>> Super infra-red == ultra UHF radio.
>>> Simple?
>>> Bill Baka

>> If you ever opened the back of an old valve radio you would see that the
>> rectifier valves do indeed glow, and therefore are in the visible
>> spectrum of light, and they rectify, which makes them diodes, light
>> emitting diodes.
>>
>> Friday

> I think not. They glow only because of voltage used to produce the
> heat to make the thing work, the actual diode function is independent
> of the current that produces the light emission.

Does it glow or doesn't it?

Friday wrote:
> R Brickston wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:13:35 +0800, Friday <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> If you ever opened the back of an old valve radio you would see that
>>> the rectifier valves do indeed glow, and therefore are in the visible
>>> spectrum of light, and they rectify, which makes them diodes, light
>>> emitting diodes.
>>>
>>> Friday

>> I think not. They glow only because of voltage used to produce the
>> heat to make the thing work, the actual diode function is independent
>> of the current that produces the light emission.

> Does it glow or doesn't it?

it doesn't glow as part of the rectifier function!!! you're talking
ordinary incandescence.

jim beam wrote:
> Friday wrote:
>> R Brickston wrote:

>>> I think not. They glow only because of voltage used to produce the
>>> heat to make the thing work, the actual diode function is independent
>>> of the current that produces the light emission.

>> Does it glow or doesn't it?

> it doesn't glow as part of the rectifier function!!! you're talking
> ordinary incandescence.

Just say yes or no.

Friday wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Friday wrote:

>>> Does it glow or doesn't it?

>> it doesn't glow as part of the rectifier function!!! you're talking
>> ordinary incandescence.

> Just say yes or no.

incandescence is not rectification!!! do you understand physics? yes
or no.

"Electron movement may be acclereated by the addition of energy. Heat is
one form of energy which can be conveniently used to speed up the electron.
For example, if the tempature of a metal is gradually raised, the electrons
in the metal gain velocity. When the metal becomes hot enough, some
electrons may acquire sufficent speed to break away from the surface of the
metal.".

RCA Receiving Tube manual, (c) 1975.

What you are seeing when you look at the valves of an old radio are the
"heaters" that heat metal surfaces, whicn in turn provide a flow of
electrons from plate to cathode. Actually, the flow is from cathode to
plate, but that is a different subject for a different time. It is this
flow of electrons which provide the "valve" effect, allowing the valve to
vary the plate voltage relative to the grid voltate. This "phenoma" can be
used to implement voltage amplification, or amplitude modulationn, or
frequency modulation, whatever cranks your tractor.

A rectifier tube follows the same laws of physics: it is not exempt. It
does not provide energy because it glows: rather, the glow heats a small
pice of metal, which in turn provides a flow of electrons (energy) necessary
to transform AC to DC. Without the glow, a rectifier tube cannot conduct
energy from one potential to another.

Inside each rectifier tube (inside each vacuum tube) is a "heater", nothing
more than a smaller version of the household electric heaters you can buy at
Lowe's or Wally World. The heater heats a small piece of metal, which in
turn causes a release of electrons from plate to cathode when the plate is
positively charged (relative to the cathode). The glow does not "provide"
the energy, it only "enables" the energy present on the metals to flow. In
a majoriy of circuits, "energy present" is nothing more than a AC voltage
provided by a transformer (when plate is positively charged relative to
cathode). A rectifier tube behaves very much like an LED, but it does not
glow because it is an LED, rather the glow enables it to behave like an LED.

The remainder of the tubes inside an old valve radio do not behave as LEDs.
They are not LEDs because they glow: nor does the glow indicate they are
LEDs. They are most commonely used as linear voltage amplifers (in triode
of pentode mode), or as frequency or voltage modulators, depending on the
application. Regardless, they glow because a heater inside a tube is
elevating the tempature of a piece of metal, which is in turn provides a
(controllable) flow of electrons. Once again, the glow does not imply they
are LEDs.

Mike Lackey
Madison, AL

news:[email protected]...

jim beam wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:
>>
>>> actually, /all/ semicons emit light when they conduct, you just don't
>>> usually get to see it because of the casing. and it's usually in the
>>> infra-red spectrum.

>> I'm afraid you're quite wrong.

> no, i'm quite right. re-read my post. "light" isn't just visible.
>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led :
>>
>> "The wavelength of the light emitted, and therefore its colour,
>> depends on the band gap energy of the materials forming the p-n
>> junction. In silicon or germanium diodes, the electrons and holes
>> recombine by a non-radiative transition which produces no optical

> note: OPTICAL.
>
>> emission, because these are indirect band gap materials. The materials
>> used for an LED have a direct band gap with energies corresponding to
>> near-infrared, visible or near-ultraviolet light."

> that's why i said infra-red. normal semiconductors emit in infra-red.
> with chemistry, you can tune the band gap to optical energies, and thus
> get visible emissions. but you don't do that for standard semicons!
> look up the band gap energies and correlate them to emission spectrum.

Actually, you're still wrong. Originally you said "all semiconductors
emit light", which is wrong.

Now you say "normal semiconductors emit in the infra-red". I'm not at
all sure what you mean by "normal". Infra-red light is still light
(photons).

If you consider silicon and germanium to be "normal", then no, they
don't emit light typically during the process of recombination (e.g.
current flow through a p-n junction, the process which causes LED's to
emit photons (on a variety of wavelengths).

In silicon and other "indirect bandgap" materials, the energy of
recombination is released via phonons rather than photons.

photons = optical = light.

phonons are not photons.

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:54:10 GMT, "Mike Lackey"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Electron movement may be acclereated by the addition of energy. Heat is
>one form of energy which can be conveniently used to speed up the electron.
>For example, if the tempature of a metal is gradually raised, the electrons
>in the metal gain velocity. When the metal becomes hot enough, some
>electrons may acquire sufficent speed to break away from the surface of the
>metal.".
>
>RCA Receiving Tube manual, (c) 1975.
>
>What you are seeing when you look at the valves of an old radio are the
>"heaters" that heat metal surfaces, whicn in turn provide a flow of
>electrons from plate to cathode. Actually, the flow is from cathode to
>plate, but that is a different subject for a different time. It is this
>flow of electrons which provide the "valve" effect, allowing the valve to
>vary the plate voltage relative to the grid voltate. This "phenoma" can be
>used to implement voltage amplification, or amplitude modulationn, or
>frequency modulation, whatever cranks your tractor.
>
>A rectifier tube follows the same laws of physics: it is not exempt. It
>does not provide energy because it glows: rather, the glow heats a small
>pice of metal, which in turn provides a flow of electrons (energy) necessary
>to transform AC to DC. Without the glow, a rectifier tube cannot conduct
>energy from one potential to another.
>
>Inside each rectifier tube (inside each vacuum tube) is a "heater", nothing
>more than a smaller version of the household electric heaters you can buy at
>Lowe's or Wally World. The heater heats a small piece of metal, which in
>turn causes a release of electrons from plate to cathode when the plate is
>positively charged (relative to the cathode). The glow does not "provide"
>the energy, it only "enables" the energy present on the metals to flow. In
>a majoriy of circuits, "energy present" is nothing more than a AC voltage
>provided by a transformer (when plate is positively charged relative to
>cathode). A rectifier tube behaves very much like an LED, but it does not
>glow because it is an LED, rather the glow enables it to behave like an LED.
>
>The remainder of the tubes inside an old valve radio do not behave as LEDs.
>They are not LEDs because they glow: nor does the glow indicate they are
>LEDs. They are most commonely used as linear voltage amplifers (in triode
>of pentode mode), or as frequency or voltage modulators, depending on the
>application. Regardless, they glow because a heater inside a tube is
>elevating the tempature of a piece of metal, which is in turn provides a
>(controllable) flow of electrons. Once again, the glow does not imply they
>are LEDs.
>
>Mike Lackey
>Madison, AL

OR--Like I said earlier: They glow only because of voltage used to

Peter Cole wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Peter Cole wrote:

>>> I'm afraid you're quite wrong.

>> no, i'm quite right. re-read my post. "light" isn't just visible.
>>

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led :
>>>
>>> "The wavelength of the light emitted, and therefore its colour,
>>> depends on the band gap energy of the materials forming the p-n
>>> junction. In silicon or germanium diodes, the electrons and holes
>>> recombine by a non-radiative transition which produces no optical

>> note: OPTICAL.
>>
>>> emission, because these are indirect band gap materials. The
>>> materials used for an LED have a direct band gap with energies
>>> corresponding to near-infrared, visible or near-ultraviolet light."

>> that's why i said infra-red. normal semiconductors emit in infra-red.
>> with chemistry, you can tune the band gap to optical energies, and
>> thus get visible emissions. but you don't do that for standard
>> semicons! look up the band gap energies and correlate them to emission
>> spectrum.

> Actually, you're still wrong. Originally you said "all semiconductors
> emit light", which is wrong.

infrared /is/ light. if you want to be more precise, maybe i could have
stated it as "all semiconductors emit electromagnetic radiation as
excited electrons drop to a less excited state". but that emission is
still "light" as a function of band gap energy and therefore frequency.

> Now you say "normal semiconductors emit in the infra-red". I'm not at
> all sure what you mean by "normal". Infra-red light is still light
> (photons).

infrared /is/ light - that's what i've been saying!

> If you consider silicon and germanium to be "normal", then no, they
> don't emit light typically during the process of recombination (e.g.
> current flow through a p-n junction, the process which causes LED's to
> emit photons (on a variety of wavelengths).

they emit infrared!!! and the wavelength is very precise as a function
of energy gap.

> In silicon and other "indirect bandgap" materials, the energy of
> recombination is released via phonons rather than photons.

phonons are a function of atomic vibration - completely different from
electromagnetic radiation from within an atom's electron orbits.

> photons = optical = light.
>
> phonons are not photons.

indeed. photons are electromagnetic. electrons decaying from a high
energy to a low one emit electromagnetic energy - photons. the
frequency of which is a function of the energy drop.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/fermi.html

Friday wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>>

>> Hey, guys....
>> Heat is infra-red. Extremely infra-red becomes ultra high frequency
>> radio waves. The different colors of LEDs are due to the band-gap
>> energies involved in the chemical cocktail used to make the LED.
>> Each blend puts out light in a very narrow, almost spike, wavelength.
>> Red is around 750nM and Blue near UV is around 400nM, or 0.4 microns.
>> The human eye (retina) can detect down to 300nM but the lens cuts out
>> the light up to about 400nM. I didn't look this up, but Isaac Asimov
>> mentioned that a friend had cataract surgery and could see shades of
>> purple that others could only imagine. It was in the preface of one of
>> his sci-fi books around 1960. He was not only a writer but a real
>> professor, so I think that one would prove to be true. Finding a
>> reference might be a bit rough, but the Opthalmology association
>> should mention it somewhere.
>> Super high frequency radio == infra-red.
>> Super infra-red == ultra UHF radio.
>> Simple?
>> Bill Baka

> If you ever opened the back of an old valve radio you would see that the
> rectifier valves do indeed glow, and therefore are in the visible
> spectrum of light, and they rectify, which makes them diodes, light
> emitting diodes.
>
> Friday

I collect old high end 'valve' radios, and as you said the tubes are
both. With the old radios like my prize Hammarlund I don't even need to
turn on the lights and can get news directly from other countries before
it gets watered down for broadcast in the 'free' United States.
Bill Baka

jim beam wrote:
> Friday wrote:
>>
>> Just say yes or no.

> incandescence is not rectification!!! do you understand physics? yes
> or no.

Some guys will argue with a rock and lose.
These meaningless arguments are fun to watch, though.
Bill Baka

jim beam wrote:
> http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/fermi.html

Christ,
Now I'm going to start **** with you guys.
Photons are a myth.
Light is an electromagnetic phenomena but of a higher frequency than
traditional radio.
That much is simple.
Photons CAN'T exist because light radiates in all directions, and one
photon would be like a grain of sand going in one and only one direction.
Normal light is radiated in all directions.
My definition of a photon is one wavelength of light = 1 photon.
Of course the Piled Higher and Deeper crowd will call me nuts, but they
have earned the right to be wrong due to their 8 years of education,
misled though it may be.
If photons existed they would have to be of an infinite array of sizes
to accommodate all the colors and wavelengths.
Sorry, but photons aren't logical.
Bill Baka, E.E., not Ph.D.

On Jun 17, 8:35 pm, Bill Baka wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
> >http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/fermi.html

> Christ,

Does He read rec.bicycles.tech, and if so, would He respond to Bill
Baka?

> Now I'm going to start **** with you guys.
> Photons are a myth.
> Light is an electromagnetic phenomena but of a higher frequency than
> traditional radio.
> That much is simple.
> Photons CAN'T exist because light radiates in all directions, and one
> photon would be like a grain of sand going in one and only one direction.
> Normal light is radiated in all directions.
> My definition of a photon is one wavelength of light = 1 photon.
> Of course the Piled Higher and Deeper crowd will call me nuts, but they
> have earned the right to be wrong due to their 8 years of education,
> misled though it may be.
> If photons existed they would have to be of an infinite array of sizes
> to accommodate all the colors and wavelengths.
> Sorry, but photons aren't logical.
> Bill Baka, E.E., not Ph.D.

Bill Baka proves Albert Einstein wrong. Get the Nobel committee to
revoke his prize!!!

[email protected] says...
> jim beam wrote:
> > http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/fermi.html

> Christ,
> Now I'm going to start **** with you guys.
> Photons are a myth.
> Light is an electromagnetic phenomena but of a higher frequency than
> traditional radio.
> That much is simple.
> Photons CAN'T exist because light radiates in all directions, and one
> photon would be like a grain of sand going in one and only one direction.
> Normal light is radiated in all directions.
> My definition of a photon is one wavelength of light = 1 photon.
> Of course the Piled Higher and Deeper crowd will call me nuts, but they
> have earned the right to be wrong due to their 8 years of education,
> misled though it may be.
> If photons existed they would have to be of an infinite array of sizes
> to accommodate all the colors and wavelengths.
> Sorry, but photons aren't logical.
> Bill Baka, E.E., not Ph.D.

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 +10dB
********-QUOTIENT-METER

Johnny Sunset wrote:
> On Jun 17, 8:35 pm, Bill Baka wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:
>>> http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/fermi.html

>> Christ,

> Does He read rec.bicycles.tech, and if so, would He respond to Bill
> Baka?
>
>> Now I'm going to start **** with you guys.
>> Photons are a myth.
>> Light is an electromagnetic phenomena but of a higher frequency than
>> traditional radio.
>> That much is simple.
>> Photons CAN'T exist because light radiates in all directions, and one
>> photon would be like a grain of sand going in one and only one direction.
>> Normal light is radiated in all directions.
>> My definition of a photon is one wavelength of light = 1 photon.
>> Of course the Piled Higher and Deeper crowd will call me nuts, but they
>> have earned the right to be wrong due to their 8 years of education,
>> misled though it may be.
>> If photons existed they would have to be of an infinite array of sizes
>> to accommodate all the colors and wavelengths.
>> Sorry, but photons aren't logical.
>> Bill Baka, E.E., not Ph.D.

> Bill Baka proves Albert Einstein wrong. Get the Nobel committee to
> revoke his prize!!!
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

I can't help it if he was working with flawed data, or if it is taught
as an unquestionable law in college. The concept of photons doesn't
work. It is just one unit of energy, as in one full wavelength.
What I learned in college was to question 'everything' or you would
never discover 'anything'. The sound barrier used to be regarded as
unbreakable and that any human who tried it would be killed by the
forces. Chuck Yeager proved that one wrong.
It may eventually be possible to travel faster than the speed of light,
but not for a few hundred years, if at all. How would you detour around
a space pebble at light speed++, since you would never see it?
A probe maybe, but a manned ship is unlikely.
Now think about those poor little photons traveling 14 billion light
years just for us to see in the Hubble space telescope.
Aren't we special?
Grow up. We don't have wings yet we fly. Is God ****** off at us?
Bill Baka

Peter Cole wrote:

> jim beam wrote:

>> that's why i said infra-red. normal semiconductors emit in
>> infra-red. with chemistry, you can tune the band gap to optical
>> energies, and thus
>> get visible emissions. but you don't do that for standard semicons!

> Actually, you're still wrong. Originally you said "all semiconductors
> emit light", which is wrong.
>
> Now you say "normal semiconductors emit in the infra-red". I'm not at
> all sure what you mean by "normal". Infra-red light is still light
> (photons).
>
> If you consider silicon and germanium to be "normal", then no, they
> don't emit light typically during the process of recombination (e.g.
> current flow through a p-n junction, the process which causes LED's to
> emit photons (on a variety of wavelengths).
>
> In silicon and other "indirect bandgap" materials, the energy of
> recombination is released via phonons rather than photons.

Sorry Peter, but with all the BS jb writes in this thread he is
obviously a hopeless case. Teaching an empty bottle calculus will be
easier than correcting all this nonsense. It hurts to read it, so I
won't go through all of it.
The only thing he is right about is that all semiconductor devices are
at ambient temperature when not in use and heat up during operation. So
they emit black body radiation. To make use of this effect for lighting
applications Edison commercialized the light bulb. A much more
practical device than silicon above the melting temperature for
lighting up your home place :)

Günther