What is a Solid State Emmiter?

Bill wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Bill wrote:

>>> I know that, but part of my point was that the number of chemistries
>>> is growing as people search for real 'white' light, and not the
>>> blueish tint that was shown in the pdf I pointed to, or a super
>>> efficient and bright chemistry that will surpass all previous
>>> attempts. All of the traffic lights in my somewhat backwater town
>>> have gone to single wavelength red, yellow, green that can be seen
>>> even in bright sunlight.
>>> I have only seen one light with one burned out LED in the green and
>>> they don't see fit to replace it since it has been like that for over
>>> 2 years.
>>> Mainstream LEDs emit in one very tight wavelength, kind of the light
>>> version of a radio crystal.
>>> Even I don't want to try to calculate the band gaps that are used all
>>> over the map, like the Jameco part I referred to. That one tries to
>>> be white and the spectrum is not a spike at one wavelength but a wide
>>> blue tapering off on the red end of things. I had to download Chinese
>>> fonts for my Acrobat just to see the whole data sheet, and I only
>>> want to spend so much 'unpaid' time on research.
>>> Pay me and I will make a spreadsheet of every LED ever made and the
>>> band gaps of all the possible materials.

>> so what? doesn't mean a thing if you don't understand what you're
>> looking at!

> I found out long ago that you can't learn everything and anyone who
> claims to is either an idiot or lier.

ok...

> I'm an E.E. who just uses the
> parts so I don't need to know all the band gaps.

so how do you design if you don't know theory?

> I do get paid for
> designing circuits that use these parts

ok...

> and I am very money motivated.

that's logically irrelevant!

>>> There are probably only a handful of people who care what makes the
>>> light as long as it works.
>>> I'm one since I have a Cat-Eye 5 LED setup with through hole white
>>> LEDs and I might want to upgrade it if I can find some better white
>>> LEDs.
>>> I was also thinking of building a miniature boost/buck universal
>>> converter to drive the LEDs at whatever brightness I wanted to dial
>>> in with an old fashioned pot. 3.3 volts on the LEDs, 4.8 volts from
>>> my NiMH batteries, and 6 volts from Alkalines. I wouldn't mind
>>> sucking the Alkalines for their last gasp, but the NiMH rechargeables
>>> might not like that very much.

>> irrelevant.

> Only if you want to buy new rechargeables every week. Kind of defeats
> the purpose. I haven't seen any bicycle headlights that claimed to have
> an active circuit for maximizing either battery life or brightness or
> even just a level adjust other than a high/low resistor switch.

it's irrelevant to led/incandescence differentiation!

>>> OK, enough electronic stuff.

>> please bill, please.
>>

> How about enough physics stuff from you then?

then stop bullshitting then! then.

On Jun 18, 7:39 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:

> > What are you talking about? The difference Peter
> > mentioned (direct/indirect gap materials) is completely
> > consistent with everything we know about Fermi
> > statistics. In indirect gap materials, photon
> > absorption or emission is accompanied by a phonon
> > (That's a sound wave in the material, for those
> > of you not used to the jargon.) Because it is a
> > two-step process, the energy of the photon will not
> > be precise. Also the light absorption and emission
> > is much less efficient. This is why LEDs and
> > photodiodes are made out of special materials,
> > not J. Random Semiconductor.

> > See Figure 4.6.1 in
> >http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter4/ch4_6.htm#4_6_1

> > It's true that all semiconductors also give off
> > heat in operation, which means they are emitting
> > thermal infrared radiation, but this is not the
> > same process as the one that makes LEDs and laser
> > diodes work. (LEDs and laser diodes emit both
> > visible or near-IR radiation in a relatively narrow
> > wavelength range, and the usual heat radiation.)

> but that emission is a function of the band gap! the narrower the gap,
> the longer the wavelength. "normal" semicons just have a longer wavelength.

When you say "that emission," what are you referring to
by "that"? The emission from photon transitions at the
energy of the band gap, or the thermal infrared
radiation? They are two quite different things.

"Normal" semiconductors don't just have a longer wavelength =
smaller band gap than LEDs. After all, LEDs come in a variety
of wavelengths from optical to near-infrared (say 1-2 micron
wavelength). Normal semiconductors just are miserably
inefficient emitters in the optical or near-IR because
of the indirect band gap business explained in the
Figure 4.6.1 that I referenced above.

> back in the days of glass-encased germanium semicons, you could scrape
> off the black paint and use them as emitters & receivers.

I don't doubt this. If you build detectors for very very
sensitive dark applications, you have to worry about
light leaks from electronics packaging, since typical
packages are often not opaque in the near-IR. However,
leaky optoisolators are a much more common problem than
leaky ordinary semiconductors, because ordinary semicons
emit a trivial amount of optical/near-IR light. That's
the red herring you claimed originally, for whatever
reason.

Ben

jim beam wrote:

> � Schwarz wrote:

>> And just in case some experts want to jump in here: There are effects
>> like transitions in core levels which involve the emissions of
>> photons.

> that's what i keep trying to have you guys understand!!!

I can't comment on all the stuff you posted about mechanics and
metallurgy on rbt, but on semiconductors you have proven to be
completely ignorant. Get a good textbook about semiconductor physics
and then come back. EOD.

Günther

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

**** tube, with yourself as the star.

jim beam wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:
>>> Bill wrote:

>> I found out long ago that you can't learn everything and anyone who
>> claims to is either an idiot or lier.

> ok...
>
>> I'm an E.E. who just uses the parts so I don't need to know all the
>> band gaps.

> so how do you design if you don't know theory?

All I need to know is that it puts out the light I need in the package I
need. I don't run to study the physics of a Mos-Fet before I decide to
design it in, as long as it is reliable. I know the 'theory' but I don't
need to research every LED and how much Silicon, Germanium, Gallium,
Arsenic, Indium, or whatever else is in the mix.

>> I do get paid for designing circuits that use these parts

> ok...
>
>> and I am very money motivated.

> that's logically irrelevant!

Only if you are a rich heir.

>> Only if you want to buy new rechargeables every week. Kind of defeats
>> the purpose. I haven't seen any bicycle headlights that claimed to
>> have an active circuit for maximizing either battery life or
>> brightness or even just a level adjust other than a high/low resistor
>> switch.

> it's irrelevant to led/incandescence differentiation!

We've been over this.

>>> please bill, please.
>>>

>> How about enough physics stuff from you then?

> then stop bullshitting then! then.

I'm not bullshitting, but you seem determined to make an ongoing debate
over that which is obvious. I could cheat and look up all the various
chemistries and then look up the element and quote you a bunch of
numbers that I could pick out of the periodic table and subsequent
references to that element and it's electron shells.
Do I want to take the time when I have a foot and a half pile of
electronics, physics, medical research journals, and other stuff to read?
No way do I put you on top of that list.
I think you just made my kill file.
You are too obnoxious even for me.
Bill Baka

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I'm not bullshitting,

This would be a first.

<snipped the dumbest part>

> I think you just made my kill file.
> You are too obnoxious even for me.
> Bill Baka

Oh my, in Billy the Braggart's "killfile"... *such* a heartbreaker.

Bill wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Bill wrote:
>>>
>>> I found out long ago that you can't learn everything and anyone who
>>> claims to is either an idiot or lier.

>> ok...
>>
>>> I'm an E.E. who just uses the parts so I don't need to know all the
>>> band gaps.

>> so how do you design if you don't know theory?

> All I need to know is that it puts out the light I need in the package I
> need. I don't run to study the physics of a Mos-Fet before I decide to
> design it in, as long as it is reliable.

if you don't understand the theory, how are you going to figure out
whether you want bipolar, fet, or any of the hybrids?

> I know the 'theory' but I don't
> need to research every LED and how much Silicon, Germanium, Gallium,
> Arsenic, Indium, or whatever else is in the mix.

you don't need to know chemistry, but you need to know how they work!!!

>>> I do get paid for designing circuits that use these parts

>> ok...
>>
>>> and I am very money motivated.

>> that's logically irrelevant!

> Only if you are a rich heir.
>>

>>> Only if you want to buy new rechargeables every week. Kind of defeats
>>> the purpose. I haven't seen any bicycle headlights that claimed to
>>> have an active circuit for maximizing either battery life or
>>> brightness or even just a level adjust other than a high/low resistor
>>> switch.

>> it's irrelevant to led/incandescence differentiation!

> We've been over this.

translation: "i don't want to admit i don't know what i'm talking about".

>>> How about enough physics stuff from you then?

>> then stop bullshitting then! then.

> I'm not bullshitting, but you seem determined to make an ongoing debate
> over that which is obvious. I could cheat and look up all the various
> chemistries and then look up the element and quote you a bunch of
> numbers that I could pick out of the periodic table and subsequent
> references to that element and it's electron shells.

it's not chemistry bill, it's physics. led's do not work by
incandescence. incandescents do not work by stimulated emissions.

> Do I want to take the time when I have a foot and a half pile of
> electronics, physics, medical research journals, and other stuff to read?
> No way do I put you on top of that list.

the only reason you have a pile is that you don't read it! as evidenced
by this thread!

> I think you just made my kill file.
> You are too obnoxious even for me.
> Bill Baka

perfect. thank you.

� Schwarz wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>> � Schwarz wrote:

>>> And just in case some experts want to jump in here: There are effects
>>> like transitions in core levels which involve the emissions of
>>> photons.

>> that's what i keep trying to have you guys understand!!!

> I can't comment on all the stuff you posted about mechanics and
> metallurgy on rbt, but on semiconductors you have proven to be
> completely ignorant. Get a good textbook about semiconductor physics
> and then come back. EOD.
>
> Günther

the energy released in electron "demotion" is by photon emission. the
energy of that photon is determined by the level at which it started and
to which it drops. the larger the drop, the more energetic the emission.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 18, 7:39 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> What are you talking about? The difference Peter
>>> mentioned (direct/indirect gap materials) is completely
>>> consistent with everything we know about Fermi
>>> statistics. In indirect gap materials, photon
>>> absorption or emission is accompanied by a phonon
>>> (That's a sound wave in the material, for those
>>> of you not used to the jargon.) Because it is a
>>> two-step process, the energy of the photon will not
>>> be precise. Also the light absorption and emission
>>> is much less efficient. This is why LEDs and
>>> photodiodes are made out of special materials,
>>> not J. Random Semiconductor.
>>> See Figure 4.6.1 in
>>> http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter4/ch4_6.htm#4_6_1
>>> It's true that all semiconductors also give off
>>> heat in operation, which means they are emitting
>>> thermal infrared radiation, but this is not the
>>> same process as the one that makes LEDs and laser
>>> diodes work. (LEDs and laser diodes emit both
>>> visible or near-IR radiation in a relatively narrow
>>> wavelength range, and the usual heat radiation.)

>> but that emission is a function of the band gap! the narrower the gap,
>> the longer the wavelength. "normal" semicons just have a longer wavelength.

> When you say "that emission," what are you referring to
> by "that"?

the emission associated with an electron dropping from one band to
another at a lower level. unless physics have changed any since i last
did this stuff, that emission is a photon. whether or not it's of a
wavelength to be visible to humans is another matter.

> The emission from photon transitions at the
> energy of the band gap, or the thermal infrared
> radiation? They are two quite different things.

indeed.

> "Normal" semiconductors don't just have a longer wavelength =
> smaller band gap than LEDs.

that's true - i was addressing those who were stuck on optical.

> After all, LEDs come in a variety
> of wavelengths from optical to near-infrared (say 1-2 micron
> wavelength). Normal semiconductors just are miserably
> inefficient emitters in the optical or near-IR because
> of the indirect band gap business explained in the
> Figure 4.6.1 that I referenced above.

they may indeed be dismal, but it doesn't mean they don't emit.

>> back in the days of glass-encased germanium semicons, you could scrape
>> off the black paint and use them as emitters & receivers.

> I don't doubt this. If you build detectors for very very
> sensitive dark applications, you have to worry about
> light leaks from electronics packaging, since typical
> packages are often not opaque in the near-IR. However,
> leaky optoisolators are a much more common problem than
> leaky ordinary semiconductors, because ordinary semicons
> emit a trivial amount of optical/near-IR light. That's
> the red herring you claimed originally, for whatever
> reason.

i wasn't talking about optoisolators, so /that/ is a herring.

jim beam wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:

>> When you say "that emission," what are you referring to
>> by "that"?

> the emission associated with an electron dropping from one band to
> another at a lower level. unless physics have changed any since i last
> did this stuff, that emission is a photon.

Or a phonon, hence non-radiative (non-optical) recombination, the
typical mode of indirect bandgap materials like silicon & germanium.

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:14:01 -0400, Peter Cole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> the emission associated with an electron dropping from one band to
>> another at a lower level. unless physics have changed any since i last
>> did this stuff, that emission is a photon.

>Or a phonon, hence non-radiative (non-optical) recombination, the
>typical mode of indirect bandgap materials like silicon & germanium.

I thought "photon"s were those small pictures you see when you load
the pictures from your digital camera onto your PC before you pull in
the full images.

On Jun 15, 9:33 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Does anyone know what a solid state emitter is? Is it an LED? Is it
> like an LED?
>
> http://www.vetta.com/Product_Lights_nMini.htm
>
> Thanks,
>
> alan.

It's normally an led packaged with optic output, electrical
connections, and heat sinking, in some sort of surface-mount design.
But if it's $80.00, it's a ripoff.

Currently the best, Cree emitters run about $7-12 in single
quantities. Places like kaidomain.com and dealextreme.com will sell
you an entire 3W Cree-based flashlight with Li-ion battery and charger
for $30 or less, and they publish credible runtime graphs.

In article
<[email protected]>,
RBrickston <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > I'm not bullshitting,

> This would be a first.
>
> <snipped the dumbest part>
>
> > I think you just made my kill file.
> > You are too obnoxious even for me.
> > Bill Baka
> >

> Oh my, in Billy the Braggart's "killfile"... *such* a heartbreaker.

How about I reply to all of your replies to Baka until
he adds me to his kill-file?

--
Michael Press

Kendall Willets wrote:
> On Jun 15, 9:33 am, [email protected] wrote:
>> Does anyone know what a solid state emitter is? Is it an LED? Is it
>> like an LED?
>>
>> http://www.vetta.com/Product_Lights_nMini.htm
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> alan.

> It's normally an led packaged with optic output, electrical
> connections, and heat sinking, in some sort of surface-mount design.
> But if it's $80.00, it's a ripoff.
>
> Currently the best, Cree emitters run about $7-12 in single
> quantities. Places like kaidomain.com and dealextreme.com will sell
> you an entire 3W Cree-based flashlight with Li-ion battery and charger
> for $30 or less, and they publish credible runtime graphs.

I'm using a Cat-Eye with 5 LEDs in parallel, so if one burns out the
other 4 will be just a bit brighter. It uses 4 AA rechargeable NiMH
batteries and will stay bright all night on one charge. Since the
rechargeables run 1.2 volts and alkalines run 1.5 volts you will get
more light from the alkalines, at first, but when you notice the light
dropping off it is time to buy some more. Since the Cat-Eye is
dismountable I use it as a flash light too, and it beats my
incandescent. The double duty is nice since I sometimes get off the bike
at night and try to sneak up on frogs and other night life in the
country. Do try to avoid proprietary Lithium batteries since the cost of
replacing them is often more than a whole new light.
Bill Baka
Note: The Cat-Eye only uses resistors and no fancy electronics.

Peter Cole wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> When you say "that emission," what are you referring to
>>> by "that"?

>> the emission associated with an electron dropping from one band to
>> another at a lower level. unless physics have changed any since i
>> last did this stuff, that emission is a photon.

> Or a phonon, hence non-radiative (non-optical) recombination, the
> typical mode of indirect bandgap materials like silicon & germanium.

what's the transition threshold between photons and phonons?

jim beam wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:

>>> the emission associated with an electron dropping from one band to
>>> another at a lower level. unless physics have changed any since i
>>> last did this stuff, that emission is a photon.

>> Or a phonon, hence non-radiative (non-optical) recombination, the
>> typical mode of indirect bandgap materials like silicon & germanium.

> what's the transition threshold between photons and phonons?

Same as apples to oranges.

On Jun 20, 9:03 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:
> > jim beam wrote:

> >> the emission associated with an electron dropping from one band to
> >> another at a lower level. unless physics have changed any since i
> >> last did this stuff, that emission is a photon.

> > Or a phonon, hence non-radiative (non-optical) recombination, the
> > typical mode of indirect bandgap materials like silicon & germanium.

> what's the transition threshold between photons and phonons?

The way you've phrased this, your question does not make
any sense. Photons are light and phonons are mechanical
motions in a solid. The difference, for semiconductor
transitions, is that photons carry negligible momentum
and phonons have some momentum. So for an electron to
make a transition from one state to another state that
differs in momentum, it has to produce a phonon rather
than a photon. There's not a value of energy gap above
which transitions produce photons instead of phonons or
something like that.

Phonons aren't physical particles. They are a way of
representing the modes of vibration of a solid.

Ben

jim beam wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:

>> To make an LED or photodiode, visible or infrared, one
>> has to overcome this by using a semiconductor material
>> that has a direct band gap. And if that seems like
>> a pain in the butt, imagine designing electronic detectors
>> that work in the thermal infrared!
>>
>> Ben
>>

> interesting stuff. thanks ben - i'll be reading more on that!

When you do, you may wish to revisit:
"all semiconductors emit electromagnetic radiation as excited electrons
drop to a less excited state"

Do get back to us.

Peter Cole wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> To make an LED or photodiode, visible or infrared, one
>>> has to overcome this by using a semiconductor material
>>> that has a direct band gap. And if that seems like
>>> a pain in the butt, imagine designing electronic detectors
>>> that work in the thermal infrared!
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>

>> interesting stuff. thanks ben - i'll be reading more on that!

> When you do, you may wish to revisit:
> "all semiconductors emit electromagnetic radiation as excited electrons
> drop to a less excited state"
>
> Do get back to us.

when i decypher the educational content of "Same as apples to oranges.",
i might.