What is considered a decent distance?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by SMIKEY, Aug 23, 2005.

1. SMIKEY

SMIKEY New Member

What do you consider a decent distance on a mountain bike?Riding it on the road? Riding on the trail?

Tags:

2. insideout

insideout New Member

my average mountain bike ride is 10-15 miles.........average bike path or road is 20-30 miles

"decent distance" applies to a given individual...........a decent distance for one rider might be jack squat to another rider.

3. Dancier

Dancier New Member

On the road about 130k max and on dirt about 60k, depends on the terrain. I am running universal type tyres at the moment so I have the best of both worlds when it comes to surface types.

4. rek

rek New Member

When MTBing I tend to go for time more than distance to gauge a good ride, since speed is so variable depending on terrain etc. Anything over 3 hours is good long ride.

For road riding, anything 50-60km or over is 'well worth going out for' in my eyes. Any less and it tends to be chalked up as "just another thing" that was done in the day.

5. Warwick2x

Warwick2x New Member

Funny you should mention that Peter. I have alays been quite anal about the speedo on the racer, and the other bike.
    However, I don't care about not having one on the MTB. As long as there is at least 3 hours of fairly hard work, it feels ok to finish.

6. trekrider4315

trekrider4315 New Member

Ive done 40 miles road with my friends with ease. Depending on the trail we do up to 20 or maybe we can only manage 10. Depends. Good luck

7. beltabout

beltabout New Member

I count a decent ride as one where I consume more liquids from the camel back than blood I loose from my knees!

Stay upright it helps!

Nick

8. konaman132

konaman132 New Member

It depends on what you ride.

I ride a 42lb bike, so 10 to 12 miles is usually good for me.

9. Cyclist14

Cyclist14 New Member

60 or 70 miles on the road. avg. speed 18-20 MPH, usually shorter rides are faster.

About 30 miles on my MTB avg. speed 10-12 MPH ( when on technical single track)